MOTOR TREND ARTICLE NEW COUPE

madman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:confused: well I don't consider myself as a 'modder' yet I managed to change
exhaust and intake and I am planning to go 3.55. These 'mods' should be done by
factory though so they may not be considered as mods... then a too am not modding
:headbang:

mit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some good points. Dirk, to allow the Vette to catch up to the Viper in horsepower even for a brief amount of time, dulls the Viper brand. Viper owners do modify their cars but saying it's a great platform with easy mods is a spin. What I am on the fence over is the notion that Viper owners will switch over to the Vette since it is a better performer(same horse, less weight means better performer). My initial reaction was that they are different demographics but I see a lot of people on this board say they will go that route if the vette is a better performer. They are not Viper sheep who will buy the car regardless. I suspect the truth lies somewhere in the middle and there is a significant percentage of owners who will bail while there are others who put a premium on the exclusivitity. Personally, I would not buy a vette but I would look at Porsche, Lotus or even possibly Ferrari if they have better performance for about the same money.

The stagnation at 500 horsepower despite current market conditions and projections is a big deal. It's a significant problem and threatens the long term viability of the Viper. My sources say that there is no big bump in power coming. Hopefully something changes. If not, the gloom and doom people have legit complaints.

George Farris

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Remember, estimated performance numbers don't mean squat.
Neither do pre-production prototypes. It will take a while for real world comparison tests of real production cars.

BTW, what are the torque numbers between the Viper and the zo6?

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Only a small percentage of Viper owners mod their cars.

:confused: :confused: :confused: BTW, are those stripes on your '96 RT? I didn't know they were factory that year, however, they must be since only a small percentage of Viper owners mod their cars. :rolleyes:

My stripes were done by 1MEANSNAKE. He is a regular on the board and local MD/VA VCA member. His work is excellent should you wish to add stripes. I should change my sig as I sold the RT in lieu of the SRT in August of this year.

I can't believe that more than 15% of all Viper owners mod their car. I mean seroius mods. Don't give me smooth tubes and cat back modifications. The tuners will probably confirm this, but with the number of cars sold I can't see more than 1500 or so with serious with mods.

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If they both have 500hp and one of them weighs 300lbs less, will the performance be "equal"?!

Seems as it's more like 240# diff in favor of the new Z06 from what I've seen.
Regarding power, it's what's under the curve that matters most and the Viper's 505 cubes doesn't hurt there.
Sure cannot wait to see a dyno for the new Z06 to compare...should be interesting. Great performance times we now enjoy.

Jason Heffner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hate to say it but reality is that the SRT's even though they produce more horsepower, are not as fast as the GTS'. A stock SRT is more comparable to a 2004/2005 Z06 as far as acceleration numbers and quarter mile times go. Considering that the new Z06 will have nearly 100 more horsepower than the previous model and that the new Viper coupe will have no more than the current SRT10, I'd say that the new coupe is likely to get embarassed by the Vette. Also consider that the new Z06 will likely rev to 7000 which will also give it a slightly greater advantage. This is not an easy thing to say but I fear that it will be true.

NOMERCY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hate to say it but reality is that the SRT's even though they produce more horsepower, are not as fast as the GTS'. A stock SRT is more comparable to a 2004/2005 Z06 as far as acceleration numbers and quarter mile times go. Considering that the new Z06 will have nearly 100 more horsepower than the previous model and that the new Viper coupe will have no more than the current SRT10, I'd say that the new coupe is likely to get embarassed by the Vette. Also consider that the new Z06 will likely rev to 7000 which will also give it a slightly greater advantage. This is not an easy thing to say but I fear that it will be true.

It looks like you will be getting pretty busy then ... :D

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
I hate to say it but reality is that the SRT's even though they produce more horsepower, are not as fast as the GTS'.

And the GTS is much better looking. Time for the Gen III whiners to chime in. :D

NOMERCY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hate to say it but reality is that the SRT's even though they produce more horsepower, are not as fast as the GTS'.

And the GTS is much better looking. Time for the Gen III whiners to chime in. :D

If I had wanted a GTS I would have bought one .... ;)

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Oh that is no fun Devil Dog. Now go back over to you side of the site. I think that they sell Type R logos that you can put on that wing.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
Oh that is no fun Devil Dog. Now go back over to you side of the site. I think that they sell Type R logos that you can put on that wing.

You mean the GTS-R wing that was on the Gen II Viper that actually won the FIA GT Championship, ALMS, LeMans 24, Daytona 24, Sebring, Speed Gt, etc., etc., etc.? :usa:
How many races has a Gen III won? Maybe they need a wing! :eek:

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just curious...would you want that one or this one?
1828New-Red-ViperGTS-med.jpg

TomSlick

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just curious...would you want that one or this one?
1828New-Red-ViperGTS-med.jpg

Now that looks alot better. The other top just looks like a bubble-top. I know they can do alot better than we've been seeing. If they don't change it considerably, than I'll be keeping what I've got. The SRT is better looking than the "New Coupe". That's a great looking car. :2tu:

SilverSnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I find it hard to belive that a 04-05 zo6 is a fast as a SRT. And then you say the gts is quicker than a SRT. My srt bone stock ran 11.73 @ 123 mph At Firebird in Phoenix. Then added headders,K&N ran 11.38 @ 126 mph( I was booted for running better than 11.50 without a cage ). I drag race a s/c s/e dragster and i go to alot of tracks all the time with the nhra. I have never seen a bone stock zo6 go in the elevens. Or a gts in stock form go better than 11.90s in this part of the United States.

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I find it hard to belive that a 04-05 zo6 is a fast as a SRT. And then you say the gts is quicker than a SRT. My srt bone stock ran 11.73 @ 123 mph At Firebird in Phoenix. Then added headders,K&N ran 11.38 @ 126 mph( I was booted for running better than 11.50 without a cage ). I drag race a s/c s/e dragster and i go to alot of tracks all the time with the nhra. I have never seen a bone stock zo6 go in the elevens. Or a gts in stock form go better than 11.90s in this part of the United States.

Who knows but it's hard to imagine that the claim made was spin free…glad to see someone speak out and provide some real numbers that support what only makes sense.

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You mean the GTS-R wing that was on the Gen II Viper that actually won the FIA GT Championship, ALMS, LeMans 24, Daytona 24, Sebring, Speed Gt, etc., etc., etc.? :usa:

DDogs comments make no sense. In the POST factory sponsored days that exist today (thank you NASCAR )Tommy Archer and the 3R team won the grueling 2004 Speed GT Championship in their Gen III Competition Coupes!

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score

DDogs comments make no sense. In the POST factory sponsored days that exist today (thank you NASCAR )Tommy Archer and the 3R team won the grueling 2004 Speed GT Championship in their Gen III Competition Coupes!

Also, my comments make perfect sense. The Gen II has a stellar race history just like the Ford GT40. The GenIII does not. The Speed GT Championship (which the Gen II won also) is only short 45 min. races. The Gen II won all the top races in all the top series for a three year period and dominated their class. The SRT has not. Oh, I forgot the factory sponsored CC has won it's first drifting championship. Maybe they will make it two in a row...now that's a race history to be proud of. Are they going to make a 100 car run of commerative SRT drifting championship cars like they did with the GTSR? :D

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Speed GT Championship (which the Gen II won also) is only short 45 min. races. The Gen II won all the top races in all the top series for a three year period and dominated their class.

Nonsense DDog, when was the last Gen II victory after factory sponsorship ended?
ANSWER..there was NONE!

dirk989

Viper Owner
Reaction score
DDog, you really put that wing (picnic table) on your street car? On purpose? Then you say my car is ugly? Wow.

GenI/II cars are beautiful. (Unless they get all ricer-ized) Gen III cars are beautiful also. Note: All three are Vipers.

All 3 are fantastic performing cars, although in today's climate there are cars made by every manufacturer that try to accomplish what the Viper did years ago.

It was relatively easy for the Viper to stand far above the competition in the early 90s. Thanks to the chances taken by Dodge back then, other manf's are trying to cash in now.

It is a great time for performance cars. Probably the best ever. Enjoy it. If you want to spend $70k for a Vette, then do it. I'll still wave at you. If you want to spend $30k for some speedy ricer mobile then do it.

If you want Dodge to build a car that far, far outperforms everything else in today's climate, then accept dissappointment now. Those types of performance gains will take waaay too much money and would result in a $150k + car.

If you expect Dodge to buld a car that outperforms or competes with almost everything and still retains its Viper style and sub $100k pricetag, then go ahead and get your deposit in. It is happening now.

Dirk