Motor tune.

dru282

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just realized my cars cats were deleted. I don't see the spark plug gap trick to fool the sensor and I don't see the plug that goes into the sensor. I am wondering if my car has a tune on it to delete the cat code. Does anyone know of a way to tell if your car has been tuned. just trying to figure out what may have been done to my car. I never realized I had no cats until I dropped the sill. I bought the car from a dealer that didn't know anything about its history besides a clean carfax. Thanks

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you sure you're looking in the right area. The rear o2 sensors are close to the rear end. some cars will set the CEL light and some won't (96-99 mostly). Somebody may have removed the sensor and zip tied it to the frame rail. My guess is if it was re-flashed (tuned) then the owner would have given the dealer the flashing device.

OP
OP
D

dru282

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks speedracer. I didn't see it because I was at work and my mechanic who is really good said they were in the rear. I wish I would have had a chance tolook myself. It is a 99 Though. So you think it just may not throw a code

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tried to find what years are more sensitive, but I couldn't find it (search feature). I wouldn't worry about it unless you have to get inspected, then it will probably be an issue.

OP
OP
D

dru282

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just had it inspected. Got lucky. Cant see the cat under the sill. Or lack there of. lol

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes. Most 96-99 will not throw a code when you pull the cats. I can leave mine in or ziptie em to the frame and no cel.

There is no way of knowing if there is a tune that i know of.
Could be: none(stock), a flash like sct, or reprogramed factory. All will look the same to you.

One way to possibly tell though: most people turn off the 1-4 skipshift when tuning.
If your car does not skipshift and you do not have a skipshift eliminator plugged into the side of the trans then you prob have a tune. So if your curious, figure out what the thing looks like and where to look for it.

OP
OP
D

dru282

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Dom. I did have the skip shift. Changed that out today. Got the eliminator plugged in this afternoon. the more I hear the more I think it just not throwing a code. Thanks alot though.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks speedracer. I didn't see it because I was at work and my mechanic who is really good said they were in the rear. I wish I would have had a chance tolook myself. It is a 99 Though. So you think it just may not throw a code
What?...Cats are ALWAYS as close to the motor as possible on any OBD-II compliant vehicle. Right after the manifold. They need to be, so they will 'light' (get hot) sooner, and stay that way to be able to function properly. At the back of the car would be rediculous, from an emission control standpoint, and that's what cats do, is help control emissions. -Not trying to sling mud, but how sure are you about your 'really good mechanic'?

Indy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like has been said, most early Gen2's won't throw codes for Cat delete....

kenphjr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought he was talking about the o2 sensors being in the rear-not the cats

OP
OP
D

dru282

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We were talking about the sensor.. Thanks for the thoughts.