Mounting V1 radar detector

banshe302

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Any help or pictures how you guys mounted your radar detectors in a 2004 convert thanx in advance.

1HOTV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This Issue has been brought up numerous times. Go to info how to. I have Vert
and the wire tucks up perfectly on the inside of the windshield with a little
silicone. Save a lot of time just hook it up to the cigarette lighter Black/Red
stripe wire. I looked all over my Ignition for a blue wire. Nothing close to blue or that I wanted to cut into. You will have to pull out a few panels I went toward the
drivers side and down and around . You will have to remove the shifter console panel. It's much faster then staring at all those ignition wires .

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On Gen III, I used invisicord with a custom remote display wire (he'll do it for $25). I get power from the mirror, and cord runs down to steering column where I have remote display mounted.

On my Gen II, I think I just ran the cord down to the fusebox by your knee, and just wrapped the hot wire around a switched fuse. Grounded it to a nearby screw.

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want to mount your RD *above* your rear view mirror to get it out of your normal field of vision and improve radar reception:

You must be registered for see images attach

Let me know if you need details.

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, details please.
Will this fit the ****** 9500i ?
Yes. No problem.
It will work with any RD that has a flat bottom.

Here's the quick DIY:

1. Get the handlebar mount from a reputable vendor (I got mine from Radar Roy's site).
It's the one for a 7/8" handlebar; part #30996 ; item # HGS014
It's about $70 shipped.

2. Get a 1" pipe mounting bracket with the rubber insert.
Any home improvement store will have these for less than $1.

3. Remove the rubber liner from the bracket and trim it to fit the INSIDE of the handlebar mount.

4. With the rubber insert inside the mount, attach it *LOOSELY* to the adjustment tube for the mirror.
Adjust the arm and mount plate accordingly (he handlebar kit comes with all the necessary allen wrenches for mounting and adjusting) and when you have it where you want it: RD mounted high, unobstructed, facing level and centered.
Then tighten the set main mount screws then the screws on the mount plate head.

(NOTE: In this pic it shows the plate at 90 deg. It has since been turned 'straight')

5. Attach the heavy-duty Velcro® to the mount plate and the bottom face of your RD, respectively.

6. Run your wires through the OEM braided wire loom and through the headliner/down A-pillar to power (or power off the mirror, if possible).

DONE.

If you want to remove the RD, simply unplug the power cord and remove it from the plate. Takes 4 seconds, without tools.
It's so easy, a passenger could do it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4