MovIT Braking System much better than stock SRT-10 ??

mark777

Viper Owner
Reaction score
While researching what braking system upgrades were possible on my newly acquired Countach, I learned (from company rep) that these MovIT braking systems are also far superior to that which is on the SRT-10's...

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of these braking system replacements? While the Viper has very good brakes compared to that of other production sports cars they do have a ton of HP and the better the brakes perform the safer the car (although braking isn't always the answer to avoiding problems... driving experience plays a large role as well)

Thanks in advance.

quick2tr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have not heard of MovIT brakes. But it is impossible for ANYTHING to be far superior over the stock SRT-10 brakes.

You have to track this car to see just how great these brakes are. 30 minutes into a session, you can still fade-free brake harder than anything out there.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And how does the rep say it is "far superior"?

The STOCK SRT-10 brakes are on the Comp Coupe and they take sessions and sessions of abuse and stop our heavy cars ON A DIME.

With 60-0 distances UNDER 100 feet, fade free performance lap after lap - your "rep" better come up with something REALLY great - like "We've documented customers eyeballs leaving their sockets in our 100-0 testing."

If they don't have that - on video - I would take everything they say and completely disregard it.

Sales guys - gotta love 'em.

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have not heard of MovIT brakes. But it is impossible for ANYTHING to be far superior over the stock SRT-10 brakes.

You have to track this car to see just how great these brakes are. 30 minutes into a session, you can still fade-free brake harder than anything out there.

I would have to agree on this. SRT-10 brakes are about as good as it gets on a production car. Stopping distance alone doesn't tell the whole story. SRT brakes can take serious abuse without fade or damage. Any brakes that are "far superior" on the track are probably not going to work well on the street.

Alexarz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what I have read, the brakes on the Z06 do not hold up well in racing conditions. Is this true?

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
From what I have read, the brakes on the Z06 do not hold up well in racing conditions. Is this true?

I don't have first hand experience with the new z06 brakes, but the feedback I have gotten from owners and magazines say they are good, but not great. Most seem to consider it a weak point and something they are likely to up-grade.

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like others here, I think that the MovIT guy is full of it.

The only brakes I would think that would be an upgrade to the stock SRT-10 brakes would be ceramics. Unless the MovIT guy is selling full ceramic rotors, his brakes are likely worse than stock.

I don't know of anyone who makes ceramics for the Viper.

OP
OP
M

mark777

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have their response to each part of the braking system... Rotors, Calipers, pads, brackets...

Here is the portion regarding rotors:

Most of the manufactures use friction ring with "normal" ventilation system, 56-60 mm friction ring height, drilled holes (5-6 mm). The rotors again is suitable for a race car, but not for a long term trouble free use on a heavy and fast street car. Further more, the holes will crack almost immediately since they are too big and positioned too close to the outer edge of the rotors. There for other manufactures offer only "plain" or "slotted" discs, but the disadvantage is a bad response in wet conditions.
MOVIT uses friction rings with a special double ventilation system. This gives between 80-100% bigger cooling surface, 68 mm friction ring height and pre-cast holes 4 mm. This generates far lower temperature since the cooling surface is bigger and also since the bigger pad transfers the heat to a bigger surface. This results in longer lifetime of both pads and rotors. The holes last far longer before cracking and WILL NEVER crack to the outside of the rotor which would require an exchange of the rotor. The rotors themselves are not drilled into. They are cast holes, and makes them very much stronger. MOVIT rotors are simply designed and created for heavy and fast street cars.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote: "I have not heard of MovIT brakes. But it is impossible for ANYTHING to be far superior over the stock SRT-10 brakes."
----------------------------------------------------

When I first bought my viper back in 2003 my driver of my Nascar Late Model got in it and moved it about 10 feet *** hit the brakes. His comment was that these were the best brakes he had ever felt.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have stock SRT-10 rotors on the Comp Coupe that were installed in July of 2005 for the fronts and September of 2005 for the rears. They are only beginning to show any signs of surface checking that might snag a fingernail.

At $89 each - I would have a hard time justifying spending any more on "better" rotors - and sure as heck wouldnt' for a street car. We've gone through probably 11 sets of pads on these rotors....

If you are going through rotors or pads, add the Comp Coupe cooling to the front and accomplish more than the entire MovIt "upgrade"..........

The response still doesn't offer any real data on the benefits - only generalities such as "larger surface area displaces heat better" (duh)

The stock brake system was also specifically deisgned for "heavy and fast street cars"...... Other cars might benefit from this system - but - not the Viper.

OP
OP
M

mark777

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I cannot dispute these comments as we all know that the SRT-10 brakes have received very good reviews. I just thought I would mention it since the company made the statement. I was really only looking for improved brakes for my Countach when I was told this...

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ote: "If you are going through rotors or pads, add the Comp Coupe cooling to the front and accomplish more than the entire MovIt "upgrade"
---------------------------------------------------------

On my viper I hooked up metal flex tubing to the front air ducts in front of the wheels and attached them close to the rotors. This is a essy $10.00 mod and you can buy the ducting anywhere.

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have the stock srt-10 brakes on my gen2 with upgraded pads, rotors, fluid and lines. you cant get any better if you tried under 18" wheels. it pops my eyes out on decel & wont fade at all when i beat the [******] out of them over and over.

something to note; the gen3 brakes are using brembo calapers

a major consideration when choosing a brake upgrade path is "how much are replacement parts, and, how available are replacement parts"

MovIT sounds like they just want your business and will tell you what you want to hear.