MSD box installed & Roe Supercharger runs great.

S

SUN RA KAT

MSD box installed! I need to adjust the VEC1 for proper optimum performance.

But! (And it's a Big Butt!) I had to drive my Viper home in a heavy snowstorm with about 1" of snow on the roadways.

My Viper drove really good seeing how it has about 700 torque & 675 HP at the flywheel. Actually, it drove better than most of the other cars on the street. I also got to use ABS for the first time.

More details to follow when the weather & roads get better.

OP
OP
S

SUN RA KAT

1TONY1 -

It was snowing the whole way home, but the snow wasn't sticking to the streets until I had gotten 2 miles down the highway. I put it in 6th gear and put a load on it starting at 60 MPH and the detonation was either gone or diminished to the point of not hearing it where it was before the installation of the MSD box.

I also adjusted the VEC1 to get better readings off of the air/fuel ratio LED display and it felt like it was running better. Also, the PCM was learning how to drive with the new MSD box and new VEC1 settings. It will probably take awhile before the PCM has learned enough so it doesn't keep making adjustment that make the Viper run noticably better each time I drive it.

About 5 miles into my ride home the roads started to become completely covered with snow and as I headed south, the snow became heavier the the amount of snow sticking to the roads became deeper.

As I said, "More details to follow when the weather & roads get better."

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for clarifying Kenny. I was expecting good news from your first post and I only got a weather report. I hope it works well for you, sounds like it will.......but don't play to much in the bad weather.

OP
OP
S

SUN RA KAT

Mike Adams -

MSD Boost Retard Box = 1 1/2

VEC1 = -8/0

By tomorrow most of the snow should be gone and I'll have dry roads to drive on. There will be a lot of left over salt on them, so I won't be doing anything heroic on them. I can hunt for any detonation pretty easily in 6th gear starting at 60 MPH.
Even with the supercharger 6th gear is not wowie-fast, so I will be able to change the various settings to get the best settings without going much over the speed limit. The detonation I was having before was most easily gotten in 6th gear before the MSD box, and now the detonation is either gone or miniscule and only needs a slight tweak of the MSD and/or VEC1 to be completely eliminated.

I suspect that I will be making more changes to get absolutely no detonation and a better air/fuel ratio, but the settings above are a lot closer to the best settings than the settings that I started off with. Sean Roe had some settings that work great in Florida where he's maybe a dozen feet above sea level, but Ohio is around 850 feet above sea level and the altitude change is very noticable in the settings listed above being better for Ohio and are different than what Sean had for a starting point to adjust from based on his Florida experiences.

I'll be posting my final settings of what works best for me once I find out myself what they are.

OP
OP
S

SUN RA KAT

A-Vipering I've A-Gone today and at the VEC1 setting of 0/0 and the MSD Boost Retard Box set at 1.5 I could find absolutely no trace of detonation. No engine check lights, either. And I ran it over 40 miles and the gas gauge barely moved from Full.

My God, The Sean Roe Supercharger Is Great!

More details to follow...

8AVETTE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kenny

I am in Michigan and also have the Roe S/C and I had the same problem. I also noticed that with the very cold air my car is running better. I wonder if the detonation will return in the spring.I put roller rockers on about 3 weeks ago and had no detonation but also the outside temp dropped 20 degrees so now I am not sure if the rollers salved the problem or the outside temp.

OP
OP
S

SUN RA KAT

I was breaking the rear tires loose in 4th gear at 95 MPH at only 1/3 throttle this afternoon!

I can't yet begin to describe the power of my Viper - there are no words of description on how fast it is now.

It keeps getting better because the PCM is learning how to drive my Viper with a supercharger and by the end of my 45 mile trip this afternoon it was running noticably better than at the beginning.

My Viper Tech has a purpose built '68 Dodge Dart drag car with a 440 in it that is not streetable and keeps the front wheels off the ground for 400 feet down the dragstrip and its ET is 10.5 seconds at 135 MPH for comparision.

OP
OP
S

SUN RA KAT

Vipermed 97,01 - "Originally posted by SUN RA KAT:
I was breaking the rear tires loose in 4th gear at 95 MPH at only 1/3 throttle this afternoon!

you of course mean in the snow"
==================================
I did it in 36 degree weather - higher than normal HP & less than normal traction. The road was dry, but probably has some salt still on it from the snow that had melted a few days before. As soon as I realised I still was sort of floating on the road, I gently let up on the snake pedal.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Ernie J - "Have you had it on a dyno yet?"
==================================
I will have it dyno tuned when I get the engine management system that Sean Roe is working on in Sweden right now.

Absolutely no detonation with the MSD box adjusted to 1.5, barely detonates when the MSD box is set at 1.25.

But full throttle causes a sudden lean condition after running at full throttle for more than a few seconds - I've sent an e-mail to Sean about this - so I limit myself to running up to 1/2 throttle (where the VEC1 LED display shows to it be running perfect - slightly rich & constant - left blue LED).

I've adjusted the VEC1 and it slows the onset of running lean, but doesn't stop it. I'm sure when Sean's engine management system is completed and installed that I will have all issues fixed. Anything more than 1/3 throttle in 1st or 2nd gears is insane, but oh, so fun and 1/2 throttle in 3rd gear is faster than full throttle was before the supercharger. (I have the 70 mm throttle bodies, etc.)

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine too is running real strong with the very cold dry spell of weather we've currently got in the UK, it's quite notable.

(Remember, I have an export OE ECU, it's calibrated a little different to OE US) I have found he runs best with the VEC1 settings on 0/0, and runs stronger with the MSD box on 0 and high octane gas. To get the most out of my SC, I'm spending the extra on the high octane gas, it's worth it.
yesnod.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine