Must read R&T article on SRT/10

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The new Road & Track has the most comprehensive write-up on the SRT/10 that I've seen to date. It does not have any independently measured performance numbers, but does have cutaways of the car, CAD drawings of the frame and details which were new to me such as:
The CAM is the same spec as current, but the heads have larger intake valves (2.0") and larger ports. Hopefully these heads will be compatible with the current block.

Pistons are the same, as are the connecting rods but now they are made from something called fractured C70 steel. Guess it's a good thing.

Sidepipes actually cross-over under the car with an H-pipe. The firewall is now a single magnesium casting which saves 30lbs. Largest such casting used in the auto industry. Throttle bodies are equal size again rather than the staggered design originally shown in early pictures, etc. Oh, and a nice smokey burn-out on the front cover.

Also of note in this issue are the first real pictures of the Enzo Ferrari I've seen including a cutaway showing the engine.

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
The 3-2-1 (Tri-Y) Header. The Crossover is a long balance pipe. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mako:
How can the cross-over exhaust be as efficient as a straight-back exhaust as on the current GTS? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A fractured rod.....technoligy from a Neon. When I first saw one I couldn't believe it. Part of the mating surface was jagged from where it was broken apart. I'm not so sure it is better than a machined surface.

OP
OP
K

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The right cylinder bank actually crosses to the left side of the vehicle before it exits and vice versa. Where the pipes cross, there is a small H-pipe connecting the two. It looks like they are using a very small cat and a very long resonator/muffler in the sidesills with no second muffler like on the current car. By crossing over rather than exiting on the same side, I think it lets them fit a longer resonator in there. The pipe appears to cross over at about the same point that the current exhaust curves in toward the middle of the car.

They noted that the fractured rod concept is all the rage in Europe.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang