MUSTANGS VS VIPERS?

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was just wondering how come we see 7 second mustangs and never even seen an 8 second viper, the vipers have more displacement to work with and there even lighter not to mention start with a **** of alot more power and torque so my question is why can the mustangs do it but not vipers?

ERDOC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Seven second mustangs are not really mustangs with 302's or stock motors any longer. They are essentially tube chassis drag cars with mustang bodies and some type of race prepped motor. I assume one could do that with a viper but would lose total street ability which most of the 9 sec vipers out there still maintain. The R/D money spent on mustangs is multiple times greater that on vipers due to the difference in volume and market for performance parts between the two. It is also cost prohibitive to try and build and fabricate parts for a viper for the above reasons.

OP
OP
S

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
there are a few that have the mustang motor still in them and have a S/C or turbo added I see quite a few in the procharger mag.

ERDOC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
there are a few that have the mustang motor still in them and have a S/C or turbo added I see quite a few in the procharger mag.

I doubt the ones with the stock block are streetable and still run 7's. You can have a 2,000 pound car with a supercharged/ turbocharged stock block and run 7's all day long but you can't drive that car home. Most if not all seven second cars are very highly tuned and stressed that would make them prohibitive as street cars. Most viper owners like to drive their cars on the street as well. I guess if someone had a lot of money to blow, they could take a GTSR chassis, put in a 1500 hp race only V10 and run sevens. Any takers out there? :D

VinR1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The reason you see so many is because they are cheap and parts are even cheaper.

the mustangs you see running 8's or lower are most likely tube chassis drag-only cars that have monster big blocks, no interior, no AC, and were trailered in.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
plenty of 8 second stangs without tube chassis. I know a guy in florida who runs high 8's and drives it on the street all the time.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's interesting that people never ask why there aren't any 7 or 8 second 1/4 mile Ferraris or Lamborghinis. The reason is simple. They weren't built for drag racing, and to convert such a special car into a dragracer would cost money, and more importantly ruin what they were designed for in the first place (balanced performance).

For me it's far more impressive to see a car that can pull 10 or 11 second 1/4 mile runs, and also pull 1.0G on a skidpad on regular street tires! :2tu:

Vipers, do decently well in the 1/4 mile because they have powerful engines, but they were designed to run quickly in ALL directions, not just in a straight line. :laugh:

YELL03

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My buddy had a 90-92 LX convertible that was VERY streetable and ran 9.6s with basic bolt-ons, a stroked engine, suspension work, and a supercharger.

My 92LX was his other DAILY DRIVER and it went 11.6@118 with the same basic mods (but less extreme) and a smaller blower.

It now has a BIGGER blower and after a tune should be a solid 10 second car.

The aftermarket and surplus of knowledge on Stangs due to the quantity made and affordability makes for EASY recipes to go FAST!

BUT,

I still would rather drive my low 12 second Viper than my high 10 second Stang - they are 2 diffent animals, but the Viper is much more fun to drive and to be seen driving.

Howard

DChan415

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mustangs have solid rear axles and are the superior drag racing setup. Vipers have independent rear suspension like all the other supercars.

Kiaser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most 7 second mustang I've seen are the old fox bodies which are lighter than any Viper. The Viper itself isn't exactly a lightweight car, this is a pretty wide misconception that I've been seeing lately.

Besides that, once you get the weight down (whether it be a fox body or any other car) the only thing that is left is what kind of power you can put on the ground while maintaining traction. Improving your power to ground is going to come from upgrades, and just like everybody else above says, it's going to be drastically cheaper to do it on a mustang than a viper. So, yes, you're going to see more mustangs (and many other cars) running 7's, 8's, etc than a Viper. It's not that a Viper can't do it, it's just that Vipers are a lot more rare than most productions cars and it's gonna cost tons more (headwork fbody = $250-$500, headwork viper = $3000+).

Furthermore, just because it says "Viper" doesn't mean it should be able to dominate every other car that costs less in every category. If you're going to buy a car for a specific purpose (ie, drag racing) you can't just go for a supercar and expect it to be the best solution (even if you do the same type of mods to it that you would a mustang). If you're modifying any care to run 7's, there's a hell of a lot more to consider other than displacement and initial power (which you referred to in your post). Two dramatically different cars that both have 400hp will run very different 1/4 mile times depending on setup.

You see a lot more mustangs doing those times because:

a) The mustang is not a bad base car to start with if you're looking into 1/4 mile times (cost, chassis, etc)

b) The mustang isn't TOO costly of a car to upgrade when scaled with other cars (I'd rather use an f-body though)

c) There's an absolutely unnecessary amount of mustangs in the world, and it's simple numbers you'd see more of those around than a Viper even in racing (not to mention that manufacturers will create a lot more mods and options for a car that has those kind of production numbers)

But alas, uou can put a rocket on a tricycle and run 7's (or end up dead) but guess what, you'd still go home on a tricycle (or in a hurst). I'd rather be in my Viper.

YELL03

Viper Owner
Reaction score
youwish
v10kingsnake

I love my Viper, but I still respect the Stang crowd.

Lots of my Stang buddies are way FASTER than my Viper and 99% of the Vipers out there, BUT.....

They would still never say a Viper *****.

They applaud me for buying a dream car for more than just FLAT OUT 1/4 mile speed, but more for the whole thrill and experience of driving a Viper.

Some would trade for my car and some wouldn't, but they would never disrespect my car as you do a Stang.

All I can say is, if you ever pull up to a modded 03-04 Cobra or a Supercharged 5.0, don't be surprised if you get beat by a so called INFERIOR car.

Later,

Howard

v10kingsnake - next time you want to hit ATCO or E-town let me know. I'll bring the Viper, I'm sure a few modded Stangs I know will be there too, but it will be COOL!

Andy 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
youwish
v10kingsnake

Lots of my Stang buddies are way FASTER than my Viper and 99% of the Vipers out there, BUT.....

I think you mean QUICKER, not FASTER. I have yet to see a Mustang that can go 185-192 mph like the gen IIs, or 194 mph like the gen IIIs.

Once you get to triple digits speeds, those cars will quickly stop pulling.

Reaction score
As DChan415 said, the solid rear axle is a superior setup for racing 1/4 mile at a time.

Also Vipers do not have automatic transmissions, which once again are a superior device (to manual transmissions) for 1/4 drag racing.

So a Mustang starts out cheaper and more aptly set up for drag racing; why bang ones head against a wall starting with a Viper? Roadracing: just the opposite. I guess one could ask why Mustangs don't do so well at roadracing.

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
YELL03:I don't deny there are modded Mustangs out there that will whip me. Do I care? No. Mustangs still ****.

Andy 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At every gas station, the attendant seems to tell me about their boyfriend/brother/friend/brother in law, with the Mustang/Camaro/Firebird that has 800 HP and can go 250 mph....

Ooooohh, I'm so scared :eek: :eek:

OP
OP
S

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All I can say is, if you ever pull up to a modded 03-04 Cobra or a Supercharged 5.0, don't be surprised if you get beat by a so called INFERIOR car.

I dont agree with that because my cousin has a 1994 GT (5.0)*** has heads,cam,headers,exhaust,no cats,larger tb's and even a procharger running 14 psi and a few other goodies and he still cant take my viper in the 1/4 mile and i just have simple bolt ons.

VinR1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ive got a supercharged 5.0 (was), heads, cam, stroker, 9 psi Vortech... can spank F-Bodys left and right but still 0-3 to the Vipers

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At the end of the day THEY go home in a _______________,
YOU go home in a VIPER.

THE END........

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When are you getting your next viper?

Andy,
Working on 2 as I type! Hope it will be in the next 30 days! Moving "up" to an 01 with "*****" ABS. LOL!!!! Will miss the lumpadee lump lump cam though!
Thanks for asking!

1BADSNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
youwish
v10kingsnake

They applaud me for buying a dream car for more than just FLAT OUT 1/4 mile speed, but more for the whole thrill and experience of driving a Viper.

Some would trade for my car and some wouldn't, but they would never disrespect my car as you do a Stang.

Later,

Howard

v10kingsnake - next time you want to hit ATCO or E-town let me know. I'll bring the Viper, I'm sure a few modded Stangs I know will be there too, but it will be COOL!

YELL03

Well said and I agree. I'll add to that by saying I like most fast cars and I didn't forget where I came from. I can talk with anybody that loves cars no matter what they drive. I drove a 75k mile Turbo Mustang in high school. I know not all Viper owners today drove an exotic(expensive) car when they got started.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang