My 5 sec. running against a DB9.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 5 sec. running against a DB9 and I think I may brought shame into the family:-(

It’s moment I’ve been waiting for for 3 years. Me in my Viper, and a DB9, side by side at the light with no traffic ahead:)
About a block from my business is Palm Beach Motors. They sell car like Lotus, Rover, Jaguar and Austin Martin. So when ever I’m driving the Viper to work, I’m always on the look out for some mechanic or owner, driving the bad ass DB9. Today I got my shot.
Leaving my office, I pull up to the stop sign before Dixie Hwy, I see my nemesis flash by. I make my turn and to my delight, we both pull up together at the light. The guy was not a mechanic, but a 55 to 60 year old dude that looks like someone's Dad. He’s got a look on his face like he just spent $1000.00 for an oil change. He looks over at me and I give him a half joking smile and I point to the light. He gives me a “you must be joking” half smile back and the light changes. I think, O well, maybe next time, besides, two guys our age racing these kind of cars down Dixie Hwy at 12 in the afternoon, would have to be real jerks. But maybe I’m just that kind of ****. So I roll off the light, he’s not making a move, and I shift into 2nd at about 3k. Then I hear this SOB jump on it and I’m like “this thing is on!”. I’m already in 2nd at low rpms and I don’t want to waste the time jumping back down to 1st, so I just stomp on it. By now he’s a couple of car length ahead of me but I’m gaining on his ass fast. At the end of 2nd gear were side by side ( by the way that DB9 sounded fantastic ) and now I go for the kill by slamming 3rd. Problem: I miss the gate for third.:-( ***. I could not believe it. The moment I’ve been waiting for and I F it up. At the next light I gave him a laugh and a thumbs up said I missed a gear and he looked at me like" of course you did” and he turned up Belvedere.
Is this when somebody from the VCA comes over and take my keys from me?

I’m trying to convince myself that maybe the world is a better place now because, a guy who paid $45k for a Dodge should BE faster than the guy paying $300K for an Austin Martin. But I know I’m just blowing smoke up my own ass.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have missed the 2-3 shift several times over the years under heavy power. 2-5 has happened as well. Not much G-force going on after the 2-5 shift. I'm sure most reading this can relate. Too bad it had to happen to you when it did.

Steve

Volltage

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have all been it that situation before, and then you blow it. O well, practice practice thats what I atleast tell myself.

OP
OP
Andrew/USPWR

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He bluffed me at the light, he paused when the light turned green, “ like, were not racing” and then jump all aver it.
I’ll have to remember that when I come up against the new Z06 on the street. I let the light change and act like your not interested. Leave it in 1st till HE shifts into 2nd and then jump on it:). And after I beat him, make a turn real quick like I have some place to be :)

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Andrew,

This is what most folks call "Dirty Pool" He clearly knew that the only way to win was by cheating. So does that really count as a win? Nope. Feel good knowing in a heads up match you'd hand him his fedora with a size 12 shoe print on it!

:D

Jay K.

Vipera

Viper Owner
Reaction score
S#@t happens... I can relate.
While racing a vette, I hit the red limiter in 1st, "POP, POP, POP" then for some reason it wouldn't go into 2nd... ahhhh... Jammed it in and punched it. Unfortunately the ass end came around to the front, :shocked: what a scarry feeling, talk about a gut shot!
Better luck next time!!

01sapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A nice used V8 DB9 is around $160K and a nice used V12 Vanquish is around $190K. Andrew you are right about the DB9 sounding awsome. It is a beasty car in a very refined outer shell.

Wish you would have faired better, but there is always next time.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't feel badly. With a stock shift mechanism what you describe could happen to anyone. If you have not already done so, consider swapping out the stock mechanism for an SVSi shifter or a B&M shifter. If the DB9 was stock and the driver knows his cars, he knows that under normal circumstances the Viper takes the Aston Martin and that only a shifting error would cause the opposite to occur. Just look at what happened as a charitable act. You gave the older gentleman a moment of glory - even if it was not truely earned. I assume that you were both well within the posted speed limit and there was no traffic. :)

ryan94rt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
like bob said...install a short throw shifter and that will never happen again. i have a b&m short throw and never miss gears. this installation will also increase the life of the clutch...short throw shifters have a lot less lag time between gears...which equals cleaner shifts and less clutch rub!

2BADD 4U

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Third gear is a problem for most drivers under power (Narrow Gate).....the shift handle actually flexes to the right...engine torque causes this...you will usually over shoot...hit 5th or jam it and miss somewhere between 3rd and 5th...

Don't sweat it..

His way of jumping you after the light by surprise was due to his his fear of losing!

Dave

OP
OP
Andrew/USPWR

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
install a short throw shifter and that will never happen again.

Thanks but.....................................I have a short throw shifter:-(

Third gear is a problem for most drivers under power (Narrow Gate).....the shift handle actually flexes to the right...engine torque causes this...you will usually over shoot...hit 5th or jam it and miss somewhere between 3rd and 5th...

Thanks. I always felt that and I was at red line when I went to shift.

I assume that you were both well within the posted speed limit and there was no traffic.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah yeah! I think the speed limit is 70 on that strip of Dixie Hwy. LOL

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Andrew, 1st off he tricked you by acting like he wasnt gonna race and then the only reason you lost was a missed 3rd gear (happened to me a few times as well). You have brought no shame to the family, just say 10 "Sneaky Pete's" and you will be forgiven ;)

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ran into one the other day on the freeway. We didn't race, but pulled up along side each other and started a game of leapfrog to see what the other can do. Did that for a good 5-10 miles. All the new Astons look awesome. It's just hard to believe under all that beauty... is a Ford. :crazy:

btw: You brought us shame... feel free to hand the keys and pink slip over to me. :D

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Treachery and experience wins again!Yeah the women we bang aren't as young and cute as the chicks you bang but they have a lot more experience and know how.And if there were a cop around the silver haired guy gets a lecture and a pass while the young guy gets the ticket.BTW the idiot car insurance companies give us a senior citizen discount. GTS(Silver hair) Bruce

getbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A nice used V8 DB9 is around $160K and a nice used V12 Vanquish is around $190K. Andrew you are right about the DB9 sounding awsome. It is a beasty car in a very refined outer shell.

Wish you would have faired better, but there is always next time.

DB9's have a V12...not a V8...but your pricing is about right.

OP
OP
Andrew/USPWR

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have no regrets. I’ve tracked my car enough to know the respect the “Dodge Viper” demands against any other car on the road. It was a rookie street racing mistake I won’t make again.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m no idiot, driving around, looking for anything I can find to race. But I will go after the big game should the opportunity arise :) But thanks for feeling my pain and hearing me out. I won’t let the family down again :)

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Andrew, You know your experience is so close to mine its kinda funny, because if I let off the gas a bit and let the engine settle back down in its motor mounts, the 2-3 shift goes real smoothly!

Sometimes you actually go faster when you just relax. Wasting a couple of miliseconds getting into 3rd gear is better than going from 2nd to 5th in a race! (Don't tell Lightning Stick Gerald I said that!) :)

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Treachery and experience wins again!Yeah the women we bang aren't as young and cute as the chicks you bang but they have a lot more experience and know how.And if there were a cop around the silver haired guy gets a lecture and a pass while the young guy gets the ticket.BTW the idiot car insurance companies give us a senior citizen discount. GTS(Silver hair) Bruce

You make me look forward to wearing Depends. :D

KWIK96

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You will get another chance.
Next time nail him from the lights, don't pussyfoot around.

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
.....Today I got my shot.....and now I go for the kill by slamming 3rd. Problem: I miss the gate for third.......

Repeat after me.

"I **** at life." "I **** at life." "I **** at life." and so on......

Blue Pilot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Problem: I miss the gate for third.:-( ***. I could not believe it. The moment I’ve been waiting for and I F it up.
Is this when somebody from the VCA comes over and take my keys from me?

Andrew, I will be over this afternoon to pick up your car and keys. I believe 30 days without your Viper is sufficient punishment, next time it will be six months, so don't let this ever happen again. :bonker:

:nana: :nana: :nana:

OP
OP
Andrew/USPWR

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Andrew, I will be over this afternoon to pick up your car and keys. I believe 30 days without your Viper is sufficient punishment, next time it will be six months, so don't let this ever happen again.

Can I plea bargain it down to Parole for 3 months with 2 spark plugs removed???????? :)

Sometimes you actually go faster when you just relax. Wasting a couple of miliseconds getting into 3rd gear is better than going from 2nd to 5th in a race! (Don't tell Lightning Stick Gerald I said that!)
Thanks Vic, that makes since. It just the other day, racing down Dixie Hwy, it had to be a quick spanking and then on the brakes. After all, I’m a respected member of the community, and racing the Viper 2 block from my business is frowned upon. So, as you can imagine, I had no time for pause :)
Note: I use the word “respected” loosely.

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put a new short throw shifter in my RT and for some reason, I kept missing the 3-4 shift! Pathetic! Well, I think I have it down now, but what a sad routine gear miss for me. For a couple of days, I was ready to swap the knob and shifter... I go to tohe track tomorrow, so I better have it down!

Cali Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Andrew,

At least you didn't shift from 5th into 2nd. About 8 years ago, I was driving a 97 Camaro Z28. I was going about 75 mph on the freeway and tried to do a quick downshift from 5th into 4th. I missed 4th gear and caught 2nd by mistake. As I let up on the clutch, the rear wheels locked up and my car started to spin. I bounced off of the center divide and totaled the car. Ever since then, I've slowed down my shifting. I don't intend to total my 98 GTS.

WICKDXS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Had the same type of problem in my C5 (same tranny) I have found in the excitement of a race (track only of course) some times the adrenalin kicks in so you grip the shift ball. To combat the natural tendency to pull in towards the driver I use the heel of my palm to push the shifter up and my finger tips to pull it down. Sounds kind of basic but it needs to be a conscious decision.

OP
OP
Andrew/USPWR

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Holy sheet! Cali Viper

Had the same type of problem in my C5 (same tranny) I have found in the excitement of a race (track only of course) some times the adrenalin kicks in so you grip the shift ball. To combat the natural tendency to pull in towards the driver I use the heel of my palm to push the shifter up and my finger tips to pull it down. Sounds kind of basic but it needs to be a conscious decision.