My Baby is down for a few days

PJJP

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well, after much trying, I simply cannot get my idle to work right with the X-Metal throttle body, so I just took it off so I can send the assembled unit back to X-Metal tomorrow so he can take a look at it. I have followed the instructions, tried every tip/trick listed here and still cannot get it. One day it will idle fine when cold, high when hot, next time high when cold and normal when hot. The problem is that the blade is sticking. I have realigned that thing at least three times. All is well on the bench, but then after install and a heat cycle, it starts acting up again. Sometimes it hangs at 1500 on the way down, or 1200, or 1100, or 1000, and sometimes it even goes all the way back down. When I press the pedal again I can feel the black sticking. I called Gary and he's going to look at it. I will be sending it fedex to him in the morning.

It really hurts to have this baby down. It's going to be down again when I get the 08 hood in and take it to have the hood painted and side sills repainted. withdrawals...

I sure hope Gary can get it working right or even send me a new one.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's sad to hear but look at it this way...it'll be much more sweeter when you get the issue resolved and new hood installed. You'll have a shizzle eating grin as wide as Texas when you take it out on the road after that long wait. :2tu:

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Please post what it took to fix and your before and after thoughts. Being down a couple of days is nothing. I've been working on rebulding my Street Serpent for over a year now and getting oh so close. Sold my '93 in the fall - so being Viper-less is killing me.

My X-Metal T-body is on the shelf waiting to be installed along with a DC PCM flash. Figured I'd get it on the road running before tackling those upgrades.

OP
OP
P

PJJP

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Got it back the other day. Gary did two things. He custom machined some screws for the TPS so it could rotate a little and get a better voltage. He also did a little machining of the inside of the TB throat. I think he took off a couple thousandths or something. So far, so good. It did stick once, but has not stuck since. I will know better with a few more miles & heat cycles. It sure is nice to have a normal idle again.

BLWNGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine was doing the same. After you tighten the screws, the whole assembly "flexes" a little and you get the blade to stick. I slowly tightened each screw and kept opening and closing it to make sure. I then took a little off the blade where it was touching and it was perfect. Sometimes when I let off hard, I feel it hit a little when I re-accelerate, but nothing that bad. I love the mod since it feels SOOO much quicker to respond..... I feel sorry for the drive by wire guys!!