My Belanger headers are pealing!!! (pics)

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The coating on your headers should be covered under the Jet Hot/HPC warranty, which ever manufacturer was used, and they should be able to blast any rust present before re-coating. You are not the only one who has experienced cracking/chipping with the 1300 degree coating on various Viper headers. One of the reasons why we like to use 2000 degree coating on the Viper Headers we install (Belanger and Caldwell/CDI). Usually, the 1300 works well for most applications, but in some instances (new engines that run hotter, race cars/applications, etc..) the 2000 coating provides extra added security from heat and cracking, and looks good too!

The only pain is that you have to remove the headers, pack them up, and ship them out...all at your expense.

Good Luck! If yours coating is cracking, I would definitely recommend that you use a 2000 degree coating for your car.
-Wayne

OP
OP
L

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We just installed the CDI/APEX headers with Jet Hot 2000 and it looks great in black with red valve covers and intake. We will be installing all Viper headers with 2000 Black Jet Hot.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MES:
........It looks like the coating (hot jet?) is pealing off and exposing the bare metal below.......... I'm thinking three things.......
1) I drive in the rain a lot and there is a small hole next to the air inlet on the hood which is directly over that rear tube. As you can see from the pictures the bolts that hold the headers on are also rusted so there has been some water on them......

2) The tube is right above the oil filler cap and I may have spilled some oil on the header. Not sure if synthetic would cause a reaction like that.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I dont see any rust on the header.

I just read Mr. Belanger your post, and he would like to help, if in fact the coating was somehow defective. Belanger has NOT heard a comment/complaint such as yours. I cannot ID your name, so cannot tell if PartsRack is the vendor. But since I see Snake Sox and Hi-Temp wires, you may be our customer. Please advise??

However....I DON'T see any rust on the headers!! I believe that you are seeing migrated (normal) rust from the factory bolts, OBVIOUS rust. Belanger has thousands of headers SOLD, and over 500 on Vipers alone. Belanger asserts that the headers CANNOT rust. The cooler-running nature of alumanized (non-rusting) steel is such that 1300-degree coating is sufficient. Stainless, which runs MUCH hotter, would benefit from more expensive 2000-degree coating.

The instructions on coated headers (incl Belanger) say in BOLD PRINT to not allow any exterior contacts such as oil, header wrap, foil, etc. Belanger suspects the oil did cause the problem, and the water caused the rusted bolts. The area is the cooler part of the tube, and we suspect the oil-drop problem....
He has MANY headers installed even in racing applications that take abuse, without such peeling.

[ Belanger again asserts that he has shipped NO uncoated or even coated headers in many months to the vendor above making "we re-coat Belanger" claims! partsRack has re-caoted ONE set...used....due to shipping damage! ]

I remain confident offering Belanger performance and value, without having to up-sell a $400 extra coating job.......

If you are 1 of 500 or 1 of 10,000, lets get 'em fixed!

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LTHL VPR:
We just installed the CDI/APEX headers with Jet Hot 2000 and it looks great in black with red valve covers and intake.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wayne, are these the CDI uncoated headers you purchased from me at PartsRack, and we drop-shipped to Jet Hot? Id love to see a photo........sounds nice !

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
I dont see any rust on the header.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes I agree JonB after looking closer this is not rust. When I first looked at it I seen the metal tube that looked discolored and bubbling up of the jet-hot looked like paint does with rust under it, so I thought it was rust. That is a relief because if its just the coating coming off in that small area and it WILL NOT rust then I think I will leave it be. With the air box in place you can't see the missing coating. I probably received the notice that oil could result in the coating pealing off but did not read or overlooked it. Well if that's the case I'm sure that I caused it with the oil change (spillage) so there is nothing wrong with the Belanger headers.

Also I did get the wires and boots from PartsRack about 4 months ago, and the headers 2 months before that from a different vendor. I did an oil change about 2 months ago (probably the one that caused the problem) and replaced the plugs last night. I will probably give you a call later in the week as I do need some other unrelated items from PartsRack.

Below is another closer pic with some rust on the flange that came off the bolts.

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
L

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since some header manufacturers do not use all stainless hardware, the bolts, washers, and nuts do have a chance of rusting. They still work and are strong, but don't look as pretty.

In addition to the option of having 2000 degree Black coating on headers we sell and install, we also now include ONLY stainless bolts, hardware, washers and lock washers with all headers we install and ship to eliminate the chance of rusty hardware, and we include high performance header gaskets as well.

Thank you.
-Wayne
APEX MOTORSPORTS

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MES,

Give me a call or email and we will get your problem rectified.

In this scenerio we should be to change out the rear section of your header with a new rear section or recoat your existing header section. This is a minor job in that the rest of the header and collector can stay on the car.

Thanks for your patronage,

Tom
Http://btrviper.com

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LTHL VPR:
Since they bolts and hardware are not stainless.......
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

MES - Thanks much for clarifying the rust is old bolts, and not headers !

The Belanger hardware included is indeed stainless washers, and yet the install photos are clearly VERY rusted on one bolt! In addition, the included bolt package from Belanger are heat-treated, coated header bolts, dark-dark-blackish grey as the first photos reveal.

I believe the installer may have grabbed an OEM bolt and washer, or SOB hardware, and not the Belanger hardware on that tube...

$400 coating should indeed be your option, as it is generally NOT needed unless in a raced / stainless application.

Even in Rainy Seattle / Portland, these bolts will NOT rust in 6 mos, use as in the photo! The installer must have used a couple of the old OEm steel bolts, and not the heat-treated bolts and stainless washers that are included. You could leave heat-treated header bolts and stainless washers in a can of hot water for 6 months with no rust........

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The bolts are the ones that I received with the Belanger headers. The headers were drop shipped directly from Belanger with these bolts. If you look at the pic with 3 tubes in it, you will see 2 un-rusted bolts on the flange. I also looked on the drivers side and there are 2 rusted bolts in the same place, and no other bolts have a bit of rust on them. I did not install washers and I really don't remember if they came with washers, you would think they would though. The bottom part of the bolt that looks like a washer is not, it's just part of the bolt that's why its all rusted. The car must have got rained on 50+ times in 6 months, living in south Florida it rains almost everyday (well 2-4 times per week) in the afternoons and I will usually drive it to work everyday.

Thanks, for the offer Tom, BTR was the original vendor. But I really don't want to be without the car at the moment, I may need to wait a few more months.

Also let me state that I'm not upset and I really don't expect anything. I do however like share my experiences as I see them - good, bad, or whatever.

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I went to change my spark plugs and after I removed the passenger side air intake box I could see that the rear tube was pealing. It looks like the coating (hot jet?) is pealing off and exposing the bare metal below. I read here before the debate about the best type of steel for headers and how the Belanger was not stainless. Now to figure out why. They are about 6 months old. I have not contacted the Vendor or Belanger about this mainly because I don't think that they would do anything. I'm just posting this as an FYI to those that have Belanger headers and seeing any opinions as to what to do about it.

I'm thinking three things
1) I drive in the rain a lot and there is a small hole next to the air inlet on the hood which is directly over that rear tube. As you can see from the pictures the bolts that hold the headers on are also rusted so there has been some water on them. But I would not think just water would cause it to bubble off like that. I'm going to attach a rubber hose to it and route it away from the headers.

2) The tube is right above the oil filler cap and I may have spilled some oil on the header. Not sure if synthetic would cause a reaction like that.

3) Defective coating plus a combination of the above?

NOTE: I edited this original post to more accurately reflect the condition of the headers and not cause undue alarm.

NascarDave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JonB and Tom,
Are these headers aluminized steel or are they just painted with aluminized paint? I've heard rumors of both.

Thanks for the clarification,

Dave

Richard K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MES, you should probably consider a polished SS header bolt such as ARP makes. They are a bit pricey, but I've had them on my SVP headers for 4 years now, and they look great. Good Luck - Richard

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dave 96 R/T:
JonB and Tom,
Are these headers aluminized steel or are they just painted with aluminized paint? I've heard rumors of both.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Belanger headers are alumanized steel.....

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
Belanger headers are alumanized steel.....
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK so what's aluminized steel? An alloy of steel and aluminum mixed togeter? is that why they can't rust? I also hear the stainless steel headers will discolor over time. So just for looks, stainless may be worse that coated headers (assuming they are not pealing) anyone try chroming headers? I bet chromed headers would give off lots of heat though.