My first modd, non power modd

Jeebs

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just replaced my factory Alpine deck yesterday with a new Kenwood Excelon. Not the easiest install i have done, due to no quick connect wire harness. That sucked. But it wasn't the hardest install either. Sounds a lot better, radio stations come in now and i can hook my iPod up to it.
Now time to move on to the exhaust, its all stock front to back. For now.

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Audio was the first thing I did in my car as well, along with Radar. I also did exhaust next, with Intake! :2tu:

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just replaced my head unit and amp with kenwood and the speakers with kickers, big improvement....enjoy your new radio!

jmasin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just replaced my factory Alpine deck yesterday with a new Kenwood Excelon. Not the easiest install i have done, due to no quick connect wire harness. That sucked. But it wasn't the hardest install either. Sounds a lot better, radio stations come in now and i can hook my iPod up to it.
Now time to move on to the exhaust, its all stock front to back. For now.

Just curious, why no quick connect harness? i.e. is the stock unit hard-wired? I've done most of my stereo purchases through Crutchfield and they always have nice harnesses and such, so I may be missing something.

I ask only because a stereo is on my own list.

Did you retain the stock AMP?

OP
OP
J

Jeebs

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There are quick connects for 03 and newer but i couldn't find any Gen II. I wish there was, i looked everywhere. The stock unit is not hard wired, there is a plug, but no one i have found makes one to fit it. Maybe their is but i couldn't find it. So i just traced down the wires and spliced in. I'm going to be doing a full install in a bit and redo everything, this was to just get me by. I plan on doing a custom fiberglass set up in the back. Clean not tacky.
And no i didn't use the factory amp. I figured the new head until would be fine with the factory components. But it would likely be easier if u wanted to use the amp.
All in all, im pretty happy with it for now. It is what it is.

Randomaccess

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are quick connects for 03 and newer but i couldn't find any Gen II. I wish there was, i looked everywhere. The stock unit is not hard wired, there is a plug, but no one i have found makes one to fit it. Maybe their is but i couldn't find it. So i just traced down the wires and spliced in. I'm going to be doing a full install in a bit and redo everything, this was to just get me by. I plan on doing a custom fiberglass set up in the back. Clean not tacky.
And no i didn't use the factory amp. I figured the new head until would be fine with the factory components. But it would likely be easier if u wanted to use the amp.
All in all, im pretty happy with it for now. It is what it is.

all the harnesses I've seen say they won't work if your radio remains on when you remove the key until you open the door. I presume they are driving at a can bus controlled amp? Have you found a harness that will work on the 03+?

spikeone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
for my head unit, I bought one of these

You must be registered for see images

sliced it open and soldered my head unit speaker/remote wires into it

then I just hooked up 3 wires to the stock harness, "almost" plug and play if it wasn't for the 3 wires to power up the head unit

coupe

Viper Owner
Reaction score
spikeone said:
for my head unit, I bought one of these
sliced it open and soldered my head unit speaker/remote wires into it
then I just hooked up 3 wires to the stock harness, "almost" plug and play if it wasn't for the 3 wires to power up the head unit
That's a good idea. At least you don't have to run new speaker wires all throughout the car. Adding an amp for a sub at that point would be fairly easy too.

OP
OP
J

Jeebs

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That was a great idea Spikeone, i never thought of that. What year is your car?, and did you still use the factory amp or by pass it? Are the wires in side of that all different colours? And was it had to determine what wire went to what?

spikeone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am still using stock amp since that cable goes from headunit to the amp

all different color inside, used a multimeter to label the wires inside and match them to the factory wires and then soldered them to the correct speaker/remote wires for my new headunit

my car is a 1999 RT-10

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960