MY GTS is leaking water in RAIN!!!

Phil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all,

Believe it or not? Ever since I got my 2001 GTS, I had never go out in the rain. But yesterday, it was raining really hard here, but I still decided to take the car out for lunch. After lunch, when I got into my car, I've discovered there are waters on my seat. At first, I thought it's from the rain when I get into my car. Then, after driving for about 5 to 10 mins, there's water drops coming down from the top of the front windshield glass. Drops and drops of water is dripping. The way i looked at it, it seems like the front windshield wasn't seal properly. I have never encounter that in my previous GTS. Has anyone here ever experience this before? I'm taking my car in to the dealer for sure!

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">Had the same leak (both wind noise at speed & water when washing the car) in my 1996 GTS. Was caused a small void in the roof, deep enough that the sealant didn't fill it.

Required removing the glass (in pieces) and filling the void with resin. Then, reinstalling the new windshield.

A-OK now and done under warranty.</FONT f>

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You Guys (and Gals) are not going to believe this one, but when I got my brand new 00 GTS, I had a lot of noise coming from the top of the windshied.
So,I remove the black molding and what did I see?

NO SEALANT on both sides and only a 1" long stripe at the top.
Talk about Quality Control!!!.
I filed a complaint with both DC and with the Federal agency,since it was a safety issue.
Since the windshield is bounded/glued to the car,it is designed to be part of the car structural integrity and consequently was not meeting FMVSS 212 and FMVSS 216 safety regulations.

I love my car but DC Quality Control and customer service is the worst than I ever saw in a car manufacturer.
Over a year later I am still waiting for a reply to my letter to Dodge.
Luc.00GTS

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">IMO, whether it ever sees rain or not, a $70K+ car should not leak. Period.</FONT f>

OP
OP
P

Phil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow!! This is amazing!! I guess I'm not the only one having this leaking problem. Just couldn't believe it after spending so much money for a brand new Viper GTS and discovered it leaks! I'm going to take it back to the dealership asap I guess!

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took mine through the car wash. Lets just say, next time I will wear my swim trunks and flippers.
smile.gif

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">You took your Viper through a car wash? Ouch!</FONT f>

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was one of those no touches. So it wasnt that bad. It leaked like a siv right where the door seal is.

I will never take it through one of those again. Not because of the leaking but because my rear left wheel got stuck in the guide
crying.gif

OP
OP
P

Phil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For those who's suffering leaking in their GTS, I'm just wondering, you guys didn't take it back to the dealer to fix the problem??

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No. Didnt take mine back to the dealer. The way I look at it, its a dodge. Dodge has a track record of having poor finish quality.

I quote Car and Driver.
"Dodge has a reputation for making cars that break so badly that the dealers cant even fix them"

My car leaks and rattles. Thats fine. As long As I have a solid motor and drive train, Im a happy camper. If I wanted something smooth and sealed I would have bought another BMW.

David Jenkins

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's the deal. It's actually quite "common". There sealer has a gap in it somewhere under the weatherstrip. This topic has been brought up before. The thing is, you can't get the windshield w/s separate. You have to get a whole new windshield.
We do several cars a year for leaks and for the w/s coming off. If you don't want to replace the windshield then just keep mopping it up, otherwise, take it to a dealer ,that knows Vipers, to have the windshield resealed/replaced. I have a glass company I work with, and the same guy does every install.dj

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">Nothing personal, but considering Car & Driver as an unbiased source of information is a bit questionable, IMO.</FONT f>

Jerry Scott[CO]

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This leaking problem does not require replacing the windshield. I had the same leak at the top center and a good glass shop (Elite Auto Glass) carefully removed it with a cable cement cutter. Nothing was damaged and now it is sealed very well and there is no difference in the appearance. Make sure that they reconnect your antenna and the ground cable under the cowling on the passenger side. They did say that there was a chance that the glass would break, so make sure that they have one in stock before starting the job.

OP
OP
P

Phil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow! Seems like I need to go through lots of trouble if i want the car to stop leaking!! Man...i'm confuse now! Seems like a common problem in GTS?? But this have never happen to me when I had the 98 GTS and driven it through heavy rain. Maybe I should prepare myself some tissue in the car then....