My hard top rattles like crazy any more

RMviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
99RT10
My hard top rattles like crazy any more it can give you a headache on a long drive with rattling & squeaking. Any suggestions. Felt grease etc?

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
stupid question: are you sure its bolted down tight in the back? i know when my top starts to rattle a little bit, it means 1 or both of the back bolts have backed theirselves out a little bit. After a couple turns with the allen wrench, it goes back to being quiet

ZOOMBI U

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had the a similar problem, mine was more of a squeak than a ratter. When the top was removed from the car and stored on its edge the rear latch hook bent and when installed on the vehicle the latch hook didn't line up properly with the locking pin. Check to see if the latch is secured around the pin. Cheers

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine on my 94' squeeks too. Usually I find a rear bolt has come loose. I hate that they loosen up all the time. I tighten them and then after driving for a while, I hear a squeek and need to retighten the bolts. Oh well....

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What year did the hard top rear attachment method change? I know my 2000 doesn't require the removal of the "sport pad" like Gen I and early Gen II, and hence the "bolt backing out" comments would not exactly apply if I were to ask that same question. In my case, however, I *have* had one of the pins back out (and is a pain to get back in without removing the sport pad). Also, on the 2000 top (and '99?), you can adjust the depth of the latch - just inspect the rear latches protruding from the top.

Got Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 2001 RT/10 and any time you hit a hard bump in the road it will make a hard noise of hard top to sport bar hitting each other. I quieted this down a bunch by taking off the hard top, and inserting more foam rubber under the back mating surface in the actual hard top. When you have the top off, you can see where the top mates with the sport bar, I just squeezed in some 2" thick foam rubber in the key areas, and it added more cushion so you would not hear the hard surfaces hitting each other so much.

MAMBA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Gen I Double Bubble hardtop has a short front latch that looks like a thumb and forefinger together in the shape of a "C". I have to put the handle of a pair of pliers or something else in the opening between the fingers to get any leverage to close them. Does anyone know if there a special tool for this? The top fits tight enough that you can't turn them easily by hand especially as small as they are.

obaa996

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mamba: Use a small allen key wrench; it'll fit in the gap of the "C" and you'll have enough leverage to turn it

TedK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure if this is your problem, but check out Michel Giroux's Viper Page over in Viper Site Links(under Communication). Go to "Mon Garage" to see his solution for the rattling top.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 2001 RT/10 and any time you hit a hard bump in the road it will make a hard noise of hard top to sport bar hitting each other. I quieted this down a bunch by taking off the hard top, and inserting more foam rubber under the back mating surface in the actual hard top. When you have the top off, you can see where the top mates with the sport bar, I just squeezed in some 2" thick foam rubber in the key areas, and it added more cushion so you would not hear the hard surfaces hitting each other so much.

Can you post some pictures?

WICKDXS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mine did the same thing when I took delivery, I just removed the top and in the rear there are two 2mm allen head screws and an elongated slot on each side, loosen the screws and push them up slightly and re-tighten the screws, it's important to use a 2mm wrench as the ASE equivalent will strip out the inside of the head. Use the 2mm allen wrench to insert into the front lock to tightened the front lever.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine is horrible. I must have gone through about 8 different latches and one hardtop rebuild and still not fixed. Do not get me wrong, it is a lot better BUT it still rattles a lot. I guess it is just supposed to be like this although it is a pain in the butt!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery