My Life Flashed Before My Eyes, Twice Today

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess the best title for this post would be the "Scariest day of my life" but I do not want to jinx it so I will refrain. To quickly answer the first question that many will think of, no I did not wreck the Viper, THANK GOD.

Today started out as any normal day traveling back from Florida. I have done this drive so many times that I forgot how dangerous it could be. We left Florida for New Jersey today at 1am as I usually do without thinking that anything would be different this time. We left from my brother's condo and then started to make the long journey up I-95 to New Jersey.

After about 60 miles into Georgia around 5am or so, I could tell that things just did not seem right. I got passed by two SUV's (An Expedition & Another I Can Not Recall), a Minivan (Chevy Uplander), and a Pickup truck (Ford Explorer Pickup). The two SUV's and the pickup truck were traveling at a high rate of speed while the Minivan was going just a tad over the speed limit. I had noticed that the SUVs and pickup were weaving in and out of lanes and cruising at about 100 miles per hour since I was cruising at around 80 to 85 mph. All of a sudden I noticed the pickup truck and the Unknown SUV go to switch into the left hand lane. Both of them accomplished this but both cut off the Minivan.

The Expedition driver felt that he could do the same thing and attempted to switch all the way from the right hand lane to the left hand lane. Now I do not know if many of you know but down south I-95 has up to five or six lanes! This SUV shifted all of the lanes and did not pay any regard to the other vehicles on the road. He switched to my lane and cut me off. I was in the middle lane. I immediately looked behind me making sure there were no cars behind me and then I slammed on the brakes and just watched helplessly in horror. By the time I was able to say, "This is going to end bad", the Ford Expedition cut off the unsuspecting Minivan and nearly sideswiped them. In an effort to avoid the Expedition, the Minivan swerved and before I knew it the Minivan was in a fishtail at 80+ MPH. The minivan immediately went into the median just making the guardrail since it was grass beforehand. As soon as the minivan hit the guardrail it fishtailed again, this time toward me but before it could make it, the car rolled I believe 3 or 4 times. When I say this scared the s**t out of me, I am not joking. I immediately pulled over to the side of the road and ran to the minivan to help them get out of the car. As soon as I approached the minivan, I noticed four occupants with one of them being pregnant. Everyone except the driver was sleeping at the time of the accident so they did not really know what happened but fortunately they were all okay. All four were shaken up but they were going to be fine. The only problem was the JACKA** in the Expedition took off and never looked back. Unfortunately no one got his plate and as of now, he never got caught, and probably never will.

I gave them my statements and stayed with the victims for a little over an hour and then left but before I left the driver of the minivan starts laughing. I asked her what was so funny and she simply replies, wow my rental car got "messed" up. She then proceeded to say, "Thank God I purchased the additional insurance." That got me a great laugh to lighten up the mood. I was shaken up and could not believe what I saw but I thought about it and said, I am going to take it nice and easy for the rest of the drive home and go to my parents house in New Jersey and just sleep it off. Well that plan did not work out too well.

We were about 3 miles from my parents house and we were sitting at an intersection. While the light was red, I quickly glanced down at my phone. All of a sudden, just as soon as I put the phone down, I see a Gold Mercury SUV blow through a Red light. I did not think anything of it until the Blue Lexus right in front of me went through the green and hit the Mercury right near the rear tire. The Mercury, which was going at least 40 MPH, got hit by the Lexus at about 20 to 30 MPH and got launched into the opposite lane of traffic. The SUV immediately rolled rear end first and skidded on it's top for a few feet until it stopped on it's top. Having practiced this only about 12 hours prior, I ran across the intersection without any hesitation to the Mercury SUV to get the woman and son out. There was blood all over them as it looked like some of the interior components cut them up on their legs and arms. The woman was in severe shock but was readily admitting that it was her fault because she was not paying attention to the light while she was talking to her son in the passenger seat. The son seemed fine although pretty cut up but the woman was still in shock not even really realizing either of them were cut up. As soon as we helped them out of the car and made sure they were okay, the female occupants in the Lexus started fighting with the SUV driver while she was in shock. The only thing she kept saying was "It was my fault" but the Lexus passengers kept at it until we pulled them away. After a few minutes the police officers showed up and asked for statements. I can actually say that I am glad that I was there to help but I really would not wish these sights upon anyone. It is pretty disturbing and really makes you think seeing a vehicle flip. Each time the first thing I thought of was, are they alive? The only thing I could think of the whole time was how lucky the occupants of all the vehicles were today and how safe they are making cars nowadays. I usually do not think of American Cars as being very safe but I must say, both of these cars held up VERY well today. The Chevy Uplander did not even look like it got hit at 80 MPH+. The whole shell was almost perfect! The Mercury was in okay shape but it was in good shape for what it has been through. The cabin caved in a little but not enough for head injuries.

I feel I have seen my fair share of accidents for my lifetime, to say the least. The only thing I can not answer is why me. I witnessed two severe accidents in one day which is unheard of odds but I still have no idea why. I am just thankful that God allowed them to both not be me as they could have just as easily have been. I guess I will find out why in due time but as of now, I am just a little shaken up. I was planning on taking out the Viper for a little spin but I am pretty nervous about it right now so I think I will be taking a rain check. GUYS PLEASE BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!!!!!!

Last edited:

Scratch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images
Quite the morning you had...glad to hear your fine, and you can at least feel good about stopping to help those that needed it.
:2tu:

00SVTdubs

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im glad everyone is ok including yourself. I love the statement "Im glad I got that extra insurance". I bet it was one of our cars. Do you know what rental company her car was from?

OP
OP
D

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im glad everyone is ok including yourself. I love the statement "Im glad I got that extra insurance". I bet it was one of our cars. Do you know what rental company her car was from?

Thank you for your kind words. It was a rental from Budget in Florida I believe.

Tusc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dude.... you know that movie where the kids live because they don't get on the plane and then death finds gruesome ways to come back and get them? Watch your six, because it looks like Loki is playing some tricks in your vicinity.

REAL glad to read that there were no significant injuries.

Also REAL mad I never became a cop. I would LIVE for nailing the folks who weave through traffic.

My dad spent a lot of his youth in Germany, and whenever he reads about this sort of thing he always has to bring up how their system for the highways is much better. Fewer accidents, fewer tickets, etc. They DO ticket you remotely by camera for tailgating, but they also let you drive at a comfortable speed and everyone else on the road complies with letting you go.

As for the intersection problem, I am real anal about not moving until I know the intersection is clear. I have a vivid image of my dad (there he is again) teaching me to drive and explaining that I should always wait and check that everyone is really stopping before proceeding. He's saying this while I sit at a light with a blind left, and sure enough some genius in an old Camaro blew the intersection WAY after he had the red at upwards of 60.

I'm glad they build the cars safer than in the 70s, but I believe the increasing issue to safety is diversion. Nav systems, cell phones, cars you talk to to command (harder than flipping a switch in most cases so far), DVD players, etc. People need to keep their focus on driving.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We left Florida for New Jersey today at 1am as I usually do without thinking that anything would be different this time. We left from my brother's condo and then started to make the long journey up I-95 to New Jersey.
That's when most of the drunks are on the roads.:nono: I'm glad you are ok.

OP
OP
D

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's when most of the drunks are on the roads.:nono: I'm glad you are ok.

Yes it is but it is really a lot better driving then but only in well populated areas. I usually do the drive a little later but that night we left earlier for some reason. I do not like driving in the middle of the night, let alone in the middle of nowhere.

2001ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, what a story. Glad everyone involved is OK. Back when I was in high school (I was about 17) I was involved in two accidents in one day, and I was just a passenger in both accidents. After the second I thought it was best to just go home and stay inside the rest of the day!

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WOW, they were lucky you were there. Your a good man.:2tu:

Wear your seat belts people and both hands on the wheel.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keith--Very sorry to hear that happened to you and the victims involved. To be involved in and then SEE such an accident afterwards is bound to shake you up...sometimes we do become complacent while driving...it's incidents like this that make us 'wake up' and realize how precious life really is...can be taken away in a split instant...thank goodness you and the others are okay...this forum would not be the same without you, that's for sure!!! Glad you are home....juli

ACRSNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad to hear that you are OK. Not something that anyone should have to see, let alone be involved in. I saw a bad motorcycle accident (use your imagination, guy, bike, no helmet, t shirt and shorts...) about 20 years ago and it still gives me the chills from time to time. All I can say is for whatever reason, you were kept safe, so be thankful. Maybe it was so you could share your story on this forum and make everyone on here think twice about taking those risky moves out there on the open streets where other could be hurt or even killed. Thanks for posting this. You may have saved peole from injury or even death just by sharing this experience and getting some to just think when they drive. Again, glad to hear you are ok.

OP
OP
D

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, what a story. Glad everyone involved is OK. Back when I was in high school (I was about 17) I was involved in two accidents in one day, and I was just a passenger in both accidents. After the second I thought it was best to just go home and stay inside the rest of the day!

Exactly what I did when I got home. I was not moving!!

OP
OP
D

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad to hear that you are OK. Not something that anyone should have to see, let alone be involved in. I saw a bad motorcycle accident (use your imagination, guy, bike, no helmet, t shirt and shorts...) about 20 years ago and it still gives me the chills from time to time. All I can say is for whatever reason, you were kept safe, so be thankful. Maybe it was so you could share your story on this forum and make everyone on here think twice about taking those risky moves out there on the open streets where other could be hurt or even killed. Thanks for posting this. You may have saved peole from injury or even death just by sharing this experience and getting some to just think when they drive. Again, glad to hear you are ok.

I could only imagine what it was like to see the motorcycle accident. All I know is that I am very thankful and will be for a long time.

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, great write-up!
A) glad that you are okay!
B) great job handling yourself and others at the scene
C) with respect to the SUV that took off, people can be d*cks
D) screaming at a lady who admits its her fault--see C above
E) hitting the rear part of a car travelling through an interection --even their red light-- likely a "no fault" at best, so double the reason to shut up
F) American cars ARE safe -- I can reliably say my life and those of my kids were saved by a Chevrolet Suburban in a bad freeway collision. We T-boned a lady who swerved to avoid a dog at 60MPH, then we careened sideways and hit the back of a semi. The entire front of the Suburban was crushed to the windhshield. The motor was laying on the ground -- smoking but still running! And no damage from the firewall back. Not even a cracked glass.

OP
OP
D

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, great write-up!
A) glad that you are okay!
B) great job handling yourself and others at the scene
C) with respect to the SUV that took off, people can be d*cks
D) screaming at a lady who admits its her fault--see C above
E) hitting the rear part of a car travelling through an interection --even their red light-- likely a "no fault" at best, so double the reason to shut up
F) American cars ARE safe -- I can reliably say my life and those of my kids were saved by a Chevrolet Suburban in a bad freeway collision. We T-boned a lady who swerved to avoid a dog at 60MPH, then we careened sideways and hit the back of a semi. The entire front of the Suburban was crushed to the windhshield. The motor was laying on the ground -- smoking but still running! And no damage from the firewall back. Not even a cracked glass.

Wow Cop. That last part is one heck of a story. Glad to hear that everyone was okay!

FinalEd357

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Praise God! Glad to hear all escaped with only minor injuries. Thanks for sharing this story as we near the end of the driving season and some of us might have otherwise forgotten just how quickly all can change in the blink of an eye (as we enjoy our last spirited drives for the year).

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You handled both situations Very Well!

Glad no one was seriously injured and that their lives will go on.
Really bad the Expedition got away. That type of behavior really needs to be punished.

OP
OP
D

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Praise God! Glad to hear all escaped with only minor injuries. Thanks for sharing this story as we near the end of the driving season and some of us might have otherwise forgotten just how quickly all can change in the blink of an eye (as we enjoy our last spirited drives for the year).

Exactly. Hopefully everyone will take it easy out there.

OP
OP
D

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You handled both situations Very Well!

Glad no one was seriously injured and that their lives will go on.
Really bad the Expedition got away. That type of behavior really needs to be punished.

I am a firm believer of "what goes around, comes around." The universe works in a weird way like that.

PAvenomRT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am obviously glad that all were apparently OK after these horrible accidents. I also want to commend you for your compassion in staying and helping those unfortunate victims. Many would have just driven off I am sorry to say. I also think you were smart to postpone your Viper spin (no pun intended).
PAvenom RT/10

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
userSRTbro_