My personal impressions of the Gen V

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
You're funny...Dodge needs your help now and remember it has to be a new one. Your brand loyalty is admirable, don't stop now. Until then you're just another loud mouth desperately clinging onto the previous generation model.

Sorry,
Gonna have to agree with ViperJon. I see a lot of cheerleaders saying " I love this, I love that". I only see a few people that are actually gonna step up and buy the car say they like it. I know that ViperJon bought 2 BRAND NEW ACR's in the space of about a year. I'm sure if he liked the new car, he would buy one. Like was said before, it will be interesting to see who, of the cheerleaders, actually steps up and buys a new Gen V.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Gen IV had three variants ( not counting a limited run of ACR convertibles.) - the coupe, the convertible and the ACR. The only car that will be available for 2013, unless a surprise is coming up, is the coupe. Those people who have an ACR or a convertible and wish to continue having one will not have anything to buy for 2013.

For the ACR crowd, the closest thing would be the 2013 SRT variant IF IT HAS AN ACR like adjustable suspension. But, even then, it would not have the same down force numbers and not perform as well on a road course as the Gen IV ACR.

The new GTS version coupe was designed with the idea of attracting Porsche, Audi, BMW, Jaguar and other driver's to the Viper. The SRT variant seems to be for the more purist ********* Viper owners group.

Bottom line: the ACR and convertible people are not going to buy until an ACR version or a convertible is available. SRT also needs to clearly state what suspension is going to be on the SRT variant 2013 coupe. It is August 25. Maybe I am missing something but, at least to me, the initial thrill has worn off and I would like to see performance data and some detailed photos of the SRT variant. There has to have been been some detailed testing by now.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree Bob.
I'm expecting ZR1 type performance numbers from the Gen 5. After all the specs are very similar.
But is it a question of diminishing returns now in regards to an ACR? Unless the HP is bumped up considerably what could a Gen 5 ACR expect to run at the Ring? Maybe shave a second or two off the Gen 4?
Not a very compelling reason to run out and buy one.
And IF the ACR was bumped up to say 675 or so on an ACR....which has not been done to the same Generation car previously...that would make a 640 HP 2013 one questionable investment.

bcmarly

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry,
Gonna have to agree with ViperJon. I see a lot of cheerleaders saying " I love this, I love that". I only see a few people that are actually gonna step up and buy the car say they like it. I know that ViperJon bought 2 BRAND NEW ACR's in the space of about a year. I'm sure if he liked the new car, he would buy one. Like was said before, it will be interesting to see who, of the cheerleaders, actually steps up and buys a new Gen V.

So let me get this straight. VCA has new members that come to the board interested in the GEN V Viper. We express our interest in the new Viper and praise its looks. For this we are chastised and told to put up or shut up. You are an odd bunch and this is one very weird way of welcoming new comers who have a serious interest in the Gen V. For me the new Viper holds a lot of promise and it is under serious consideration. Whether or not I purchase one remains to be seen and I certainly don't have to answer to you for my decision; but I will purchase another high performance sports and car I hope my deposit goes towards the final purchase price. Having said that, why would you possibly care if people love the looks but end up not buying one.......
Do you really think there's hope that Ralph and company will alter the looks between now and production.

commandomatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just because someone is new to this forum doesn't mean they are novice in the performance car market. I would wager that there are plenty of people (on this forum) that are not VCA members (ONLY enthusiasts), have less than 100 posts, that may not just have a serious collection of cars but are also financially set to purchase a car next month for 100 k plus.

So the comments about being new to this board and therefore not being taken seriously, that's a load a crap.

If I have interest in a different car, and I do, then I will get on a forum and start looking around to educate myself a bit. I wont rack up thousands of posts on that board as I really don't have the time to waste.

Just because someone isn't willing to go right out and buy a new GenV certainly doesn't mean they aren't a contender down the road. Think log term. I believe that it's very important to over deliver at this point to keep future customers interested. If the car doesn't appeal or perform, then there are plenty of other choices out there. I frankly think that SRT are being very unprofessional and quite arrogant by not releasing numbers (costs and performance) that a large, possible group of buyers are anxiously waiting for. This is supposed to be an all American sports car and they are acting like its the most amazing vehicle ever released to the public. NASA is less secretive about their new products.

So really, lets see some numbers to keep us interested. The lack of info makes me feel like its not all that great. So Ralph...get off the *** and prove me wrong.

I spent some time in a Gallardo today........and I really liked it (That's how a V10 should sound and No....I don't have any dealer support for that car either)

Matt

Last edited:

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
So let me get this straight. VCA has new members that come to the board interested in the GEN V Viper. We express our interest in the new Viper and praise its looks. For this we are chastised and told to put up or shut up. You are an odd bunch and this is one very weird way of welcoming new comers who have a serious interest in the Gen V. For me the new Viper holds a lot of promise and it is under serious consideration. Whether or not I purchase one remains to be seen and I certainly don't have to answer to you for my decision; but I will purchase another high performance sports and car I hope my deposit goes towards the final purchase price. Having said that, why would you possibly care if people love the looks but end up not buying one.......
Do you really think there's hope that Ralph and company will alter the looks between now and production.

Never mind, you missed the point. Did I mention you personally?...no

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bcmarly;

Don't buy into all the negativity and "arrogance" of a few angry men. There are plenty of great Viper owners in the club that do not share pure polarizing views on the new car. Wait until everything is worked out by SRT, then make your decisions. The car will be worth it. Each Gen has it's die hards and fanatics.

It is weird as the car does not photo well, like a lot of others these days but in real life, it is a lot better, even the questionable front end.

The reality is there are a lot of nice cars out there, and there are more than Vipers. Some on here refuse to acknowledge that. Local chapter of VCA does translated beyond an open internet forums BS. Hope it helps!

bcmarly

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bcmarly;

Don't buy into all the negativity and "arrogance" of a few angry men. There are plenty of great Viper owners in the club that do not share pure polarizing views on the new car. Wait until everything is worked out by SRT, then make your decisions. The car will be worth it. Each Gen has it's die hards and fanatics.

It is weird as the car does not photo well, like a lot of others these days but in real life, it is a lot better, even the questionable front end.

The reality is there are a lot of nice cars out there, and there are more than Vipers. Some on here refuse to acknowledge that. Local chapter of VCA does translated beyond an open internet forums BS. Hope it helps!

I don't..... people like ViperJanet and Shooting Blanks do nothing to elevate the dialogue. Their comments have little to do with the generation IV vs. V and more to do with personal issues.

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
I don't..... people like ViperJanet and Shooting Blanks do nothing to elevate the dialogue. Their comments have little to do with the generation IV vs. V and more to do with personal issues.

Nice...did I call you names?

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry,

I agree 100%. I've been saying this all along. People like me are going to scoop them up used when they come into my price range. SRT shouldn't really care about my opinions, although I enjoy letting everyone else know mine :lmao: But, if they aren't hitting the mark for long time NEW Viper owners, then they might have a problem on their hands. On the flip side, if they attract Vette, Porsche, Aston Martin and other high-end buyers, it might not matter anyways...

commandomatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree 100%. I've been saying this all along. People like me are going to scoop them up used when they come into my price range. SRT shouldn't really care about my opinions, although I enjoy letting everyone else know mine :lmao: But, if they aren't hitting the mark for long time NEW Viper owners, then they might have a problem on their hands. On the flip side, if they attract Vette, Porsche, Aston Martin and other high-end buyers, it might not matter anyways...

SRT should most definitely listen to all feedback. The secondary market is huge. If its only the guys that buy it new that they are targeting then the dealers will end up with an immense inventory of cars that they cant sell.

So they may loose a few guys that liked them in the past. That's going to happen regardless. There is a new generation of buyers both from other brands and younger guys getting to a point where they can afford one of these machines. If they just target the existing owners, this car is doomed.

Matt

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
SRT should most definitely listen to all feedback. The secondary market is huge. If its only the guys that buy it new that they are targeting then the dealers will end up with an immense inventory of cars that they cant sell.

Matt

What secondary market do you mean?. Somebodies got to buy it new 1st right?. 1500-1800 new units that have to be sold so that later they can be sold as used.

commandomatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What secondary market do you mean?. Somebodies got to buy it new 1st right?. 1500-1800 new units that have to be sold so that later they can be sold as used.

What I am saying is that SRT should listen to feedback from all the owners, regardless if they bought the car new or used. They purchased and own a Viper, therefore they are the main target group.

So Yes...of course, they have to sell them new initially but the people that buy the cars when used are somewhat responsible for the continued success of the cars, down the road. These are also the people, if they are happy with the cars they bought used, that will consider a new one in the future.

So that's it.....I just reacted to the comment that SRT shouldn't listen to a second hand car buyer.

Matt

emericr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
bcmarly: you are not alone and it appears that at least some members here are not as arrogant as others.
I do not need to prove anything to anyone. I agree they are many posers out there but I really could care less.
We have a passion for cars and the forum is a way to express it.
With every new model, a brand will lose some clients (even if they have been ********* multiple owners) and they will hopefully gain at least the same amount of new owners who love the car.
I think I speak for bcmarly as well that I would not be interested in buying this car if SRT had not come up with a different design for the car (but still keeping the same DNA) and an upscale interior.
If I end up buying one, it will not be a base model and will be a GTS with most of the goodies in it. It will probably never see the track (unless insurance becomes more readily available and not stupidly expensive) but will properly show its tails to its competition.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Both Shooter and I have expressed interest in a Gen 5 ACR should it be produced and have a substantial performance upgrade over our current Gen 4's.
But we don't have to make constant whiny posts about it, or let the whole world know we are "thinking" about "maybe" buying it. Five times a day.
We would just do like we have both done multiple times. Buy one.

Nobody even mentioned you tools by name but the shoe must fit 'cause you got all defensive.
You two look like schoolgirls complaining about other posters and extolling the virtues of a car like you have to be talked into buying one.
Noob #1 is posting video's of the car and complaining that everyone doesn't think it's as beautiful as he does.
Read his post above, he has enough caveats, "ifs" "maybe's" etc to know he ain't getting one. I'll bet on it.

When the dealers start taking orders very soon, buy one. It's that simple.

bcmarly

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shhhhh it's okay, take a deep breath, get back on your tricycle, ride around the block, take a nap. Come back when you have something constructive to say. The whole newbie routine is childish. Does your mommy know you're on the forum.

emericr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ViperJon's location should have given us a hint on how he behaves...
I am thrilled to be going to NY this week end at the US open but not looking forward to the snobish, know it all, move out the way attitude of some of its inhabitants.
Back to the original subject of the OP post, this is a forum where opinions are being given about the car, so we will keep doing this while I hope you can disregard our posts and leave us alone.

3whitevipers

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I'm waiting to see several Gen 5 cars at VOI. I sure hope that they have both the GTS cars and the SRT cars so I can see the differences close up. I understand that we may be able to drive them as well as look at them. Because we have all seen so many pictures and only the one car at NY, I'm reserving all comment till I can see the various cars in person where we can touch and get in them. I very well may buy one on the spot if everything including price fall into place.---Dave

bcmarly

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm waiting to see several Gen 5 cars at VOI. I sure hope that they have both the GTS cars and the SRT cars so I can see the differences close up. I understand that we may be able to drive them as well as look at them. Because we have all seen so many pictures and only the one car at NY, I'm reserving all comment till I can see the various cars in person where we can touch and get in them. I very well may buy one on the spot if everything including price fall into place.---Dave

Nice I look forward to your impressions. In what areas are you hoping to see improvements? By the way, I'm considering your color scheme.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have no doubt you would buy one on the spot.
As long as it comes in white...:)

Alabaster Mamba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bottom line: the ACR and convertible people are not going to buy until an ACR version or a convertible is available. SRT also needs to clearly state what suspension is going to be on the SRT variant 2013 coupe. It is August 25. Maybe I am missing something but, at least to me, the initial thrill has worn off and I would like to see performance data and some detailed photos of the SRT variant. There has to have been been some detailed testing by now.

I agree with you big time on this Bob. People are getting bored looking at pictures and want to see if the Gen V has the performance numbers to back up the things they may not like or like. I guarantee some would like it a little bit more if the performance numbers improve pretty nice over the previous model.

As for not needing anyone else to like the Gen V, I think it is important to get the opinion from other Gen owners. Afterall they are all prospective buyers. They are the true loyalist whether they buy it the 1st year or second. But I also agree with Jon in that people are going to have to like the car enough to actually buy it.

I myself see the car as as more aggressive in certain colors than in other colors. I love it in black, blue, gun metal, and without stripes. Other colors just haven't been presented the right way such as the yellow with the black stripes. I also think that Dodge should have shown the car closer to what it will look like suspension wise.

When it comes to buying the car, a person has to ask themself if it is worth it to them. The problem also comes from the fact that the Gen IV ACR is so damn hot, **** as hell and aggressive enough to make you take 2nd and third looks everytime you see it. I guess what I am saying is that Dodge created a problem by making the Gen IV ACR such a big hit not only in looks but also performance.

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funny thread, like stepping into a time warp. Every Gen has had this thread pre-release. The haters, the "cheer leaders", and the haters of the haters and the haters of the cheer leaders. As a dude who has bought (and still owns) pre-release each gen (save G1), you can call me the ultra-cheerleader; I've loved every one (even the hated G3), and honestly have not loved any one as much as I love the G5. So "put up or shut up"? I have a deposit on the 5. If you want a raw ride, get a G2, if you want a super-fast one, get a G4acr, if you want an aston that's twice as fast as an aston, and just as fast as an acr, get a G5.

Everyone's entitled to an opinion of course, just don't get your ******* in a *** when you haters hear someone say your car/wheels/interior/hair (lack thereof) are unattaractive in some way.

I think I pretty much posted this same response in 03, and 08; it gets tiring hearing "you're an idiot and have no taste", from people who have almost the same car... :)

SADVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The point is, to give an honest opinion on the car and that's it. But some folks around here "cheerleaders" (LOL) were claiming: oh thats beautiful oh that looks awesome can't wait to get one of this color and of this spec... and out of the blue now they say its ugly, this doesn't look good, this and that and blah blah... while the real deal guys made their point for once and stood by it. as for the wannabes, I grew tired of finding your disturbing posts on the gen V.

It's not like you are not entitled to change your openion, but the way some people does that around here is sickening.

SADVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never mind, you missed the point. Did I mention you personally?...no

Both Shooter and I have expressed interest in a Gen 5 ACR should it be produced and have a substantial performance upgrade over our current Gen 4's.
But we don't have to make constant whiny posts about it, or let the whole world know we are "thinking" about "maybe" buying it. Five times a day.
We would just do like we have both done multiple times. Buy one.

Nobody even mentioned you tools by name but the shoe must fit 'cause you got all defensive.
You two look like schoolgirls complaining about other posters and extolling the virtues of a car like you have to be talked into buying one.
Noob #1 is posting video's of the car and complaining that everyone doesn't think it's as beautiful as he does.
Read his post above, he has enough caveats, "ifs" "maybe's" etc to know he ain't getting one. I'll bet on it.

When the dealers start taking orders very soon, buy one. It's that simple.

I'm pretty sure that is NOT rocket science!

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
some detailed photos of the SRT variant. There has to have been been some detailed testing by now.

According to Ralph, the 6 Vent SRT hood will be coming next week. I look forward to seeing the car with this. MAYBE it will help the ugly headlights and front end out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4