My Suggestion Regarding CAAP...

JeffTheViperMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ladies and Gentlemen of the Viper Club of America, and Viper owners World-wide, I have a suggestion to make.

But first of all, a brief story in history:

I learned of the Viper many years ago and have been a fan ever since. When I attended PennState University, every single one of my friends knew of my Viper obsession. Maybe it was the posters all over the wall, maybe it was the line of die-cast models hogging valuable space on my desk. Regardless, the "ViperMan" was well established.

I met another student during my freshman year by the name of Gregory Whipple. "Whipple" was a quiet guy and generally kept to himself. He was math wizzard who could be often found walking around campus wearing shorts in the dead of winter. He was very fond of sports, and was an avid supporter of the PennState Icers Ice Hockey team.

It didn't take long for Greg to get bitten by my love of Vipers. While sharing a room my Junior year, he learned that Charlie Brown III of Team Viper was coming to PSU to speak to the SAE students, and got us both invited. A few months later he learned that the SAE students were traveling to the Conner Avenue Assembly Plant in Michigan to tour the facility. He got us both invited again, but I was unable to attend due to a prior obligation. Greg went along for the tour, bringing me back some souvenirs and a slew of photos. He was so excited, and expressed his regrets that I wasn't able to join.

In 2002 Greg Whipple passed away in his sleep from Addison's Disease. No one knew it was coming, as it's symptoms were masked by Diabetes.

I would like to organize the Gregory Whipple Memorial Spawning of the Vipers.

We all know that the Conner Avenue Plant is due to close in 2010. I have always wanted to tour the facility, especially after seeing photos from Greg's trip. Now I realize that there may not be much time left.

I think the Vipers should return home - return to their nesting grounds - before the plant closes it's doors. I'd like to do it for Viper owners and lovers the world over, and in memory of my deceased friend.

I have no idea "when" just yet, I'm actually thinking early 2010. I'd like to see if this is something the VCA would be interested in helping me organize, and perhaps use the reputation of the club to help line up a speaker or two, or at least a "special" tour for all who attend.

I don't want this to be a high-dollar, heavily sponsored event. I'm not looking for vendor booths or glamorous sales pitches. Whereas we all hope the Viper will live on in some capacity, the chances of it being a Chrysler product are limited. I think we should all have the opportunity to go back to where it all started, and revel together in peaceful Viper brotherhood.

And so I open this up to you opinions and thoughts. Thanks for reading.

Jeff Knapp

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What I would suggest for both of you would be to start by joining the VCA. VCA members can arrange visits to CAAP, generally with their local clubs. There are several clubs that schedule trips to CAAP every year. Seeing that PA/WV is one of the more active regional clubs out there, I would think you could set that up in no time. There have already been several tours this year with more to come. Indeed, we are setting up another one as type this. The plant is normally closed to the general public.

Nyoka

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What I would suggest for both of you would be to start by joining the VCA. VCA members can arrange visits to CAAP, generally with their local clubs. There are several clubs that schedule trips to CAAP every year. Seeing that PA/WV is one of the more active regional clubs out there, I would think you could set that up in no time. There have already been several tours this year with more to come. Indeed, we are setting up another one as type this. The plant is normally closed to the general public.
I am a member (Ontario). As we haven't raised the idea this year, if any club is scheduling a visit, I'd like to tag along (meet there), schedule permitting.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am a member (Ontario). As we haven't raised the idea this year, if any club is scheduling a visit, I'd like to tag along (meet there), schedule permitting.

Well by golly, you are indeed a member and we upgraded your forum access accordingly. Be sure to upload an avatar when you get time and check out the other great forums you have been missing!

I think Ontario has scheduled visits in the past, so you might want to check in and see it they are planning anything this year...

F. Jerry Simmons

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Another VCA memeber and Viper owner would like to tag along with any Viper Club touring the CAAP in 2010. Please email me with your tour schedules.
Thanks,
F Jerry Simmons
2004 Viper Mamba #176/200 (White wRed/Blk Roadster
[email protected]

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks Chris, our club has talked about this several times at our meetings and always have it in the back of our minds. We have many members in the western part of Pa and have discussed gathering there spending the night and arriving as a group the next day. There always seems to be enough interest so if one of our "members" wants to help me organize it I will be glad to slot it in for 2010:drive:

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dont think Nabil has a CAAP tour scheduled this year.... Maybe we need to give him a shout.....

Robert

Robert, we should meet at CAAP at the same time...maybe you can bring our tour bus driver from the Niagara trip:D

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Robert, we should meet at CAAP at the same time...maybe you can bring our tour bus driver from the Niagara trip:D

Hahahaha! You be a funny guy there Carmen! :D:rolaugh:

Yup, I am willing to go!:yay: I have heard OH is planning a run to CAAP, so maybe PA, OH, and ONT all need to meet up there! :)

We will have to see what we can do about Jenn though. I dont want to do CAAP on Jenn time! :lmao:

:D

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IN/KY is also trying to plan a trip up there early in the year (March or April maybe?). Jim R. or Steve would know more.

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hahahaha! You be a funny guy there Carmen! :D:rolaugh:

We will have to see what we can do about Jenn though. I dont want to do CAAP on Jenn time! :lmao:

:D

I forgot about Jenn time.....that would probably be the fastest tour in history:omg:

viper67wife

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That would make it August 21st.....not a bad idea

Is there a current/tentative schedule set for PA/WV anywhere public yet? Please don't tell me you already sent it to Victor and I have to find it in his office... We have other schedules I need to coordinate with (sorry, but I refuse to do a horse show from the Viper - but we do plan on entering it when there are horse show/car show events...

Thanks!

Diane

V

Venomiss

Another VCA memeber and Viper owner would like to tag along with any Viper Club touring the CAAP in 2010. Please email me with your tour schedules.
Thanks,
F Jerry Simmons
2004 Viper Mamba #176/200 (White wRed/Blk Roadster
[email protected]

If you are a VCA member shoot a PM to one of the moderators here so they can upgrade you on this site-kcobean or Lee00blacksilverGTS can help you.
Make sure and include your information/member number with it.:)

You will see much more than you are now.