My Viper is Totaled

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow I too was touched by how much you clearly care about your father. I had to think about how I would have reacted and I would like to think that it would be the same. Now just start thinking about how much fun you can have customizing another viper....maybe an 08 this time :2tu: I am also glad to hear how well everyone else reacted to the event. I soooo wish I still lived in a small town!

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man that is some story. Your heart is in the right place. Cars can be replaced... I wish you the best.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My dad passed years ago but if he was around and wrecked my Viper I would have made sure he was ok and then would have busted his chops over wrecking it.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Unforunate story with a positive message -------- family is so much more important than anything else. You definitely have your heart in the right place and thanks for sharing, as this somewhat tragic story has actually made alot of folks feel good , as your priorities in life are spot on!!:2tu:

ASPIRATIONS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow,I bet that was a shocking phone call and to not be near even worse....Your a great son as far as your reaction and Iam sure your DAD knows that...Wish my dad was still here as I grew up loving cars because of him...:( Everyone came out ok and thats the good part....Sometimes we forget how much our parents mean to us until they are gone;you certainly did not..Good for you!!:2tu: My wife is still scared that I own a Viper but since I dont drive it much its not a problem plus she knows I respect it..Give her time to calm down...Kevin

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm glad your dad was not seriously injured. The car can be replaced.
If my dad ever wrecked one of my cars, it would serve me right. I can't tell you how many of his cars I nicked, scratched, dinged and dented, and just plain old totaled when I was a youngster.:(I owe him more than one.;)
I just hope he never takes me up on any of them!:smirk:

BolsOut

Viper Owner
Reaction score
"Damn the car! Is dad ok?" I find out dad is out of the car and walking around."THANK YOU DEAR GOD"

My biggest concern all evening was that dad was going to feel guilty about crashing my car and that is the last thing i care about period. I love people to death and any car is just that, A car.

Also anyone got any suggestions on how to handle the wife cause she is dead set that they'll be no Viper replacing this one. Now What????

Dude, You've got the right attitude. Glad your dad is doin alright, soon you guys will be able to laugh about it:)

Make your wife a deal that if she'll trust you with one of these monsters, you'll go to a high performance driving school to learn the car, then promise to save all your hard driving for the track. Show her a commitment to this plan with research/prices/etc....get yourself all trained up. Show her how much you want it, even if it means waiting awhile.

If you come at her with a plan, one that shows her you're thinking about safety & responsibility first, she's much more likely to jump on your side.
;)
Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

OP
OP
B

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I want to thank everyone here once again for being so kind and treating me like family. It makes me so happy to know that my absolute love for my dad shows in my words because as you know I love him so much for making me the man I am today. And someone said something about their dad influencing them to become a car guy and that is the same thing that I can thank my dad for cause without a great loving father with a passion for cars I would not have that same love for cars that I do today. And not being a car guy my friends is a scary thought.
I just wish I had been there with my dad so maybe I could have given him just one pointer about the Vipers power that may have kept him from being in the state he is now but all I can do is pray that my dad forgives himself for the guilt I know he feels and I cant take away. Cause god knows I forgive him before it even happened. He is a great and loving man but he has nerve problems and worries about everything until it makes him sick so friends please keep my amazing dad in your prayers and I will pray for you and your family in return.
And I will admit presenting the driving school lessons to my wife as a bargainship is a great idea she is still dead set on a Viper never being in our driveway again. I am so scared I will not have another Viper and I dont know what to do here???

Thanks again all and as always be safe.

Wayne

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The next Viper you get...Make sure that your Dad drives it in the Garage, after you show him how to adjust the seat & pedals.He's gotta climb back in the Snake...

OP
OP
B

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh and I forgot to tell ya'll all this did not happen on crappy run flats either. Not sure of the tire brand yet but the car has 20" chrome Asanti wheels and dad told me on the walk around that the over the phone that the tires are like brand new with at least 90% tread left so I guess cold tire traction problems can happen with any tire. But I still say the runflats are just flat out scary and should be illegal from my personnal experience anyway:dunno:

OP
OP
B

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The next Viper you get...Make sure that your Dad drives it in the Garage, after you show him how to adjust the seat & pedals.He's gotta climb back in the Snake...

I totally agree with you on this "IF" I am fortunate enough to own another Viper then he will be driving it right away. I am not gonna let that horse throw him and then watch him walk away, NEVER! But you are correct I will make dang sure he is in proper position before driving this time. :2tu:

vviperr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Glad your dad is OK.

However, great post for wreckedexotics.com.

Lots of Viper crashes lately, but this one is certainly unique, to say the least.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wayne, very very glad your Dad is okay, and you all have a great attitude. The Viper sure does demand respect, but should not be feared, as your wife is fearing it. If SHE could drive it, perhaps in a driving school as suggested, she would come to know it and respect its power? It surely is a DRIVERS' car, and yep, the tires make a difference as well. But, I'd certainly hope that you DO get yourself back into a VIPER sooner rather than later if possible! GOOD LUCK!
~juli

Lee

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad to hear that your dad is doing well.

Now, let's move on and figure out how to get the wife's head turned around.:nunu:

I'm thinkin' you need to let a little time go by and then remind her (in a subtle way) of how guilty your father must feel about the whole car thing. Then I would mention how much more guilty he would feel if the whole incident led to you never owning another Viper (which you don't mention since the accident so she let's her guard down). Then I would back off and let her come to the conclusion that your father would feel so much better about the whole incident if you bought another viper.

Is it cold, heartless and manipulative? Yes, and effective.:cool:

If that doesn't work pm me - I know people who can fix these things;)

Cheers, Lee

OP
OP
B

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad to hear that your dad is doing well.

Now, let's move on and figure out how to get the wife's head turned around.:nunu:

I'm thinkin' you need to let a little time go by and then remind her (in a subtle way) of how guilty your father must feel about the whole car thing. Then I would mention how much more guilty he would feel if the whole incident led to you never owning another Viper (which you don't mention since the accident so she let's her guard down). Then I would back off and let her come to the conclusion that your father would feel so much better about the whole incident if you bought another viper.

Is it cold, heartless and manipulative? Yes, and effective.:cool:

If that doesn't work pm me - I know people who can fix these things;)

Cheers, Lee

Lee Thank you brotha I think you have just mapped out a great plan of attack when it comes to the subject of owning another Viper. I believe I will take this advice and run with it. For the next few weeks I am going to just forget the whole Viper thing never even talk about Vipers and then pull your plan out of my hat when all has gotten back to normal. Thanks again for giving me a different view of the situation:2tu:

Thanks Jules I always enjoy chatting with you esecially in the Viper Chat;) unfortunately Wendy(my wife) will never drive a viper because she is just not aggressive enough to drive a stick. I know she could if she wanted too but she just fears the whole shifting concept. Wait maybe driving school will teach her to drive a stick for me??? You think:dunno: I have tried to teach her years ago in my ZR1 and that did not go so good and I swore we would not go thru that again:rolaugh::rolaugh:.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad to hear that there were no serious injuries. It is a bummer that you did not get to drive the car before the accident but what I have learned in life is that things always happen for a reason. Do I hear a Pearl White 2008?? But in all seriousness, I wish you the best of luck with your next car and your fathers speedy recovery.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Jules I always enjoy chatting with you esecially in the Viper Chat;) unfortunately Wendy(my wife) will never drive a viper because she is just not aggressive enough to drive a stick. I know she could if she wanted too but she just fears the whole shifting concept. Wait maybe driving school will teach her to drive a stick for me??? You think:dunno: I have tried to teach her years ago in my ZR1 and that did not go so good and I swore we would not go thru that again:rolaugh::rolaugh:.

Same here, Wayne...you've always been a pleasure chatting with! Well, if she doesn't want to drive a stick for herself, then she probably won't do it for you, alas.:(
Here's HOPING a Viper is in your future, one way or another...:drive:
(I'll keep fingers/toes crossed for ya! :cool:)
~jules

Viper 55

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad Dad is OK. No doubt, us Viper owners are always cognizant of this car's raw power. Sometimes, in a strange way, things happen for a good reason. Your dad may have saved your life. God only knows where this particluar Viper may have lead you. It just wasn't meant to be!

You'll find another Viper, and it will be even better then this one. My dad use to tell me that buying and loving cars is like waiting at a bus stop. There's always another one coming around the corner. Stay well. You've been blessed with a great family. Your story has effected all of us. Just look at all of the hits on this thread. Next time one of our friends puts the presurre on us to let them drive our Vipers, it will be easier to say NO. Your dad may even have saved one of us or one of our friends. Your dad just may be a hero and doesn't know it.

Stay well and safe driving to you, your family and to all Viper owners.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
>>>Not sure of the tire brand yet but the car has 20" chrome Asanti wheels and dad told me on the walk around that the over the phone that the tires are like brand new with at least 90% tread left so I guess cold tire traction problems can happen with any tire<<<
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A cold tire, well, is a cold tire. And the amount of tread left does not say anything about the (age of the) tire! If the tires are 5 years old, they may already be rock hard depending on usage/storage/...:crazy2:

BTW, a big 20" wheel does not help either for better handling!

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
theres a lot of vipers for sale around these days. you'll find the right one for ya.

and i agree, make sure your dad is part of the whole buying process and have him take delivery and park it like frank said.

then bust your dads chops for the rest of his life. i know mine would bust me, so he'd have it coming back at him...lol

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dude, so sorry to hear this! :( Glad your Dad is physically OK. You will have to work with him on the guilt/feeling bad part of it. Dont want to eben imagine what he feels inside right about now. :(

As for the Viper, there are many other fish in the sea. I am sure another one will find you soon. :)

OP
OP
B

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SO true a cold tire is a cold tire. But even on 20's my invos in cold weather would hook better than my run flats in warm weather. And these wheels and tires were installed brand new 6 months ago so I know they would bet the heck out of the run flats, but like you said a cold tire is a cold tire especially with Viper power turning them.
And Mopar Boy is so right I would really hate to be in my dads shoes too. I know I would just be ashamed of my self. But I will give pop's lots of hugs and the steak dinner mentioned earlier is a great idea:2tu:
I will be home this evening and will post pics then. Later ya'll:)

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man im so sorry! Im sorry you and your family had to go through this and im glad the big man in charge was watching over your dad! As hard as it is im sure you all will grow through all this. Will say a prayer for your dad and that he is able to hear your true concern and to lay the guilt down as best as possible. Hang in there with it and Im sure a new Viper will be i the mix sooner than you think!:2tu:

I lost my father several years ago when I was 30 and I would give up any materialistic thing I owned to have him back.

OP
OP
B

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK first thing first. Dad is doing ok his leg has swollen a little worse but he can walk on it with a little help. And his back is sore today but thats to be expected in fact they say the third day after an accident is the sorest day so tomorrow will probably be a pretty sore day for him. But all in all I know he will be the same loving and great father hes always been so thanks for all your prays dear friends. And just so everyone knows we spoke multiple times today and I truly believe he has for the most part come to terms with the fact that I am not holding anything against him and that I could care less and he is doing well with forgiving himself for all this. I just wish you could all meet him and see for yourself how dang lucky I am to have such an amazing father in my life.

Here are the pics of the car. I went down the road to where the accident happened(forgot to take camera) and can tell you the car slid off the road into the ditch and it pushed the front frame rails over toward the passengers side at least 10 inches and up about 6 inches on the passengers side pretty badly. You can easily see the front end is up and over in the front on pic. After the car slammed into the ditch sideways it spun around and really smashed the drivers rear into the embankment so hard it shattered the entire rear tube of the car(one crack goes all the way across the tube to the passenger side).
Best I can tell the car has a twist in the frame but cant figure out where the twist in the frame is. For example when trying to put the top back up it will not align with the windshield post without being pushed over and snapped closed again. Plus the passenger door shoved up at such an angle the glass is overlapping the windshield post and you can clearly see there is a gap between the door glass and windshield post seal. I am guessing the passenger side frame rail is shoved back into the firewall and pushing the entire right side firewall up and back.
I can only hope that insurance sends out the adjuster and he sees it fit to total this mess. I will update you all on the out come with insurance, but until that time I consider you all to be great friends and even more I feel like we are all family and with that please be safe.

You must be registered for see images attach

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Damn that blows,,,,,,,,,,,

I know what its like when the fed ex dude delivers a box and the stuff inside is broke....

Cant imagine waiting on a car to be delivered and then finding out its smashed......
Hope it works out for u

yellowvipergts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry about the loss of your new Viper. Cars can be replaced, people can not...especially fathers. Glad to hear you and your Dad are working through this tough ordeal. Hope your Mom is doing OK as well. It had to be terribly freightening for her to witness this accident. You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Now, let's move on and figure out how to get the wife's head turned around.:nunu:"

Easy. Just remind your wife that your father had the skill and love to raise a wonderful human being and that she is married to that person. Whether she realizes it or not, she owes your father a great deal. Some day, at some time, she is going to make a significant mistake that may hurt both of you. I am sure that she will benefit from the same type of empathy, compassion and love you have shown in this thread for your father. As for the accident, with time, your Dad will start making fun of himself and laugh with you about it. You might start off with this: "Dad. Relax. there isn't a scratch on the car. Not a scratch. Jost alot of dents." Another line you might use many months from now is when he goes to sit down in a chair say: "Dad. Are you sure that you do not want to adjust the position of that chair before you sit in it? You know what happened the last time?" Humor can cure many ills.

Please feel free to share this post with your wife.