My Viper lost 50lbs with a tire / wheel change

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Hard to believe but true. I just bought a new coupe and am not new to the game as this is Viper #3. I wasn't sure about the weight of the new 5 spoke OEM wheels but they look very heavy upon close inspection.

Well, they are. I took them off and put on a set of Copperhead wheels (aka Sidewinders I think) which are also 5 spokes. They have a lip, an SRT etching and look a bit different than the OE 5 spoke wheels but are polished aluminumn and look very good IMHO. I also had Pilot Sport non-run flats mounted on these compared to the OE 5 spokes coming with run flats.

After I had weighed all 8 tires and wheels on a digital scale, did my "sums" and compared the two, my car had lost 49.4 pounds of rotational mass. The car feels better, more nimble and seems to accelerate and brake more crisply.

Thought you guys would like to know.

Dan

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Going light weight on tires and wheels is the best mod I have done to my Viper. I lost 72 lbs by switching from the stock 10 spokes and rund-flats to SSR Comp wheels and Sport Cups. Felt like a whole different car. Much quicker, better handling and braking.

NoRice

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hard to believe but true. I just bought a new coupe and am not new to the game as this is Viper #3. I wasn't sure about the weight of the new 5 spoke OEM wheels but they look very heavy upon close inspection.

Well, they are. I took them off and put on a set of Copperhead wheels (aka Sidewinders I think) which are also 5 spokes. They have a lip, an SRT etching and look a bit different than the OE 5 spoke wheels but are polished aluminumn and look very good IMHO. I also had Pilot Sport non-run flats mounted on these compared to the OE 5 spokes coming with run flats.

After I had weighed all 8 tires and wheels on a digital scale, did my "sums" and compared the two, my car had lost 49.4 pounds of rotational mass. The car feels better, more nimble and seems to accelerate and brake more crisply.

Dan

Did you get rid of the fast Viper, or just add to the stable?

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same here. Noticed a big difference from the 10 spoke to my HREs. Ride is much better...

GTSJERRY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The run flats are almost 10 pounds per tire heavier than non-run flats! I was looking at run flats for my gen II on tire rack and looked at the specs and weight, i didn't realize the run flats were that much heavier! Of course i went with the non-run flats.

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dan

I believe it, I have the sidewinder wheels on my coupe as well, but opted to keep the runflats, I like to keep that warm fuzzy feeling driveing long distance's knowing if I get a flat I can still keep going, to the next town and get it patched there.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The run flats are almost 10 pounds per tire heavier than non-run flats! I was looking at run flats for my gen II on tire rack and looked at the specs and weight, i didn't realize the run flats were that much heavier! Of course i went with the non-run flats.

Does that compute? I don't think they can be that heavy if the original posters scale and math are ok. He lost 49 pounds, hard to believe only 9 pounds were in the wheels. Many have posted, that the sidewinders save 28 pounds per set of four. So that would leave a 21 pound reduction from the tires in the original posters math, which would be 5.25 pounds per tire? Not trying to start an argument but I think the right weight is important for those thinking of adding runflats to a non run flat car or just switching tires and not wheels.

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Guys, remember that whatever weight difference there is between run flats and regular tires you have to also consider the added weight of carring a spare tire.

repiv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys, remember that whatever weight difference there is between run flats and regular tires you have to also consider the added weight of carring a spare tire.

Who carries a spare tire??????

1DumpedViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Spare tire? :shocked: This thing is heavy enough!!

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Wrong forum. Please redirect yourself to the Gen. I/II forum. :bonker:

toomanymodz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
"..spare tire."

:buttkick:
Get out. (in a monotone Schwarzenegger voice).

Have to admit though, some of us do have a spare tire to get rid of. Time to join the gym.

OP
OP
Viper X

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
Hey No Rice,

When will your move to so Cal be complete? We need to get together and terrorize some local vettes, porches, feraris, etc. There are lots of them here compared to Vegas and most of the porsche / ferrari guys noses are pretty high. I've already bent a bunch of them. I'm changing plates on the black SRT so I'll get some more play.

My Black SRT is currently at DC getting re-tuned. We lowered the compression ratio to about 8.9 to 1 and are trying to run a bit more boost and timing. Gas here is terrible. Not sure where we'll end up yet hp wise. The engine is over 530 cubes with a 3-inch pulley on the Paxton (about 10 - 10.5 peak psi), Stryker heads, blower cam, rollers, B&B stepped headers, JE's, Oliver, etc. Should be 850-ish rwhp on a very conservative tune for pump (lousy) gas. When I get that tune sorted out on the AEM, I will have them tune it for 100 octane too and only load the 100 octane tune when appropriate, drags or 1/2 - 1 mile races. This should add another 100 to 150 rwhp.

Yes, I added to the stable (we're up to 3, a GTS for the track car, an SRT for the drags / cruising and the coupe will stay mostly stock for trips / street events. If I could just get the darn web guy to fix the signature area, I'd update it. My signature section says "up to 0 characters". Kinda hard to put anything in there with "0" characters available. Not sure who came up with this or if it's a typo. I have emailed the forum guy but no fix yet.

If it doesn't rain this weekend, I think one of the guys has a breakfast or something planned for the beach area.

Also, there's always the Ford / PAG deal in Irvine on Saturday morning.

Dan

NoRice

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dan,
I am going to be at Balboa for the Crystal Cove thing on Sat if it doesn't rain. I just finished moving last weekend, so I am now permanently in the Northridge area.

Whats the Ford/PAG thing? Is that the old Crystal Cove deal?

I also have to get retuned, so I will probably give DC a call after the New Year.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey No Rice,

When will your move to so Cal be complete? We need to get together and terrorize some local vettes, porches, feraris, etc. There are lots of them here compared to Vegas and most of the porsche / ferrari guys noses are pretty high. I've already bent a bunch of them. I'm changing plates on the black SRT so I'll get some more play.

My Black SRT is currently at DC getting re-tuned. We lowered the compression ratio to about 8.9 to 1 and are trying to run a bit more boost and timing. Gas here is terrible. Not sure where we'll end up yet hp wise. The engine is over 530 cubes with a 3-inch pulley on the Paxton (about 10 - 10.5 peak psi), Stryker heads, blower cam, rollers, B&B stepped headers, JE's, Oliver, etc. Should be 850-ish rwhp on a very conservative tune for pump (lousy) gas. When I get that tune sorted out on the AEM, I will have them tune it for 100 octane too and only load the 100 octane tune when appropriate, drags or 1/2 - 1 mile races. This should add another 100 to 150 rwhp.

Yes, I added to the stable (we're up to 3, a GTS for the track car, an SRT for the drags / cruising and the coupe will stay mostly stock for trips / street events. If I could just get the darn web guy to fix the signature area, I'd update it. My signature section says "up to 0 characters". Kinda hard to put anything in there with "0" characters available. Not sure who came up with this or if it's a typo. I have emailed the forum guy but no fix yet.

If it doesn't rain this weekend, I think one of the guys has a breakfast or something planned for the beach area.

Also, there's always the Ford / PAG deal in Irvine on Saturday morning.

Dan

I'm the darn web guy and I have NO email from you. PM me what you want, it's a lot easier to just copy and paste right into your account from the pm. And nobody came up with it, sigs are turned off right now, upgrade to follow.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The SRT Sidewinders are 34 lbs lighter(not including a tire change) based on my on shipping weights. i've heard that an additional 10 lbs could be saved by running non-runflats, sorry i'd rather have the security of being able to drive in the event of a flat. you can loose more weight with a different exhaust system(approx 20 lbs) and another 10-12 if you loose the cats. now get a light flywheel and another 19 lbs is gone. keeping the stock cats it easy to loose nearly 75 lbs(85 lbs with a cat removal)! These are also changes that are not very drastic or expensive. If you go to two piece brake rotors you can loose another 15-20 lbs. Although the cheapest way to loose weight in the car would be for me to go on a diet.

OP
OP
Viper X

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
You can also loose weight by doing the 2-inch seat lowering kit. The stock seat mounts are very heavy compared to the smaller, lighter brackets in the kit.

Sylvan,

I carry a small portable compressor, though I've never had to use it in 33,000 miles. Much lighter than the run flats.

No Rice,

See you there if it doesn't rain. Balboa is a long haul from Northridge, so start early. I'll have the white / blue VOI 9 Coupe.

The Ford PAG is where Crystal Cove Relocated to. Not nearly as nice.

Dan

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wrong forum. Please redirect yourself to the Gen. I/II forum.

You mean that some people run around with regular tires and NO spare??? Umm...no thanks. :rolleyes:

I even carry a spare folding tire and spare tubes on long bicycle rides. I'd hate the thought of being 50 miles away from civilization at 2:00 a.m. and get a flat and no way to fix it.

OP
OP
Viper X

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
RoadiJeff,

Autoclub.

Hey Greg,

Yep, busted.

Dan

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I sometimes worry about getting a flat with non-runflats, but the difference in performance is so noticeable that I'm willing to take the chance. Between the SSR Comps and the Sport Cups, felt like the car picked up 50 rwhp.

OP
OP
Viper X

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
Valentine,

Yes, that's what mine felt like with the change.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
even with just the SRT Sidwinders and runflats my car had a much quicker turn-in and the suspension seemed much more compliant and quicker to react to changes. Reducing unsprung-rotating mass will really help the cars handling characteristics.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: My Viper lost lbs with a tire / wheel change

Although the cheapest way to loose weight in the car would be for me to go on a diet.

Truer words have never been spoken. My viper went on a 40 lb diet when it's driver quit drinking and lost the 40 lb spare tire around it's waist.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Dont know if this is completely true. I had been reading threads like this and was thinking about putting NON-runflats on for perfomrnace and weight savings. I just went to tirerack website and it only shows about a 2-3 lb difference between non-runflat and OEM runflat Pilot sports. Even other tires I looked at were only a few pounds difference. 10 lbs per tire would be huge,but if its only 2-3 lbs, I think thats minimal. Im lucky to have Sidewinders from the factory, but what tire would you recomend in stock size to save the most weight??

OP
OP
Viper X

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
MikeR,

It's not. Most of the weight savings are in the wheels though the run flats are a bit heavier as you have stated.

As far as street tires go, there aren't many choices in 19's. The regular Pilot Sports are about as good as it gets though the rumor is that the newer PS2's are coming in Feb 07 in 19's and they will be a newer design. They should be stickier in the dry and better in the wet but I doubt that they'll be any lighter.

If you are looking for race tires, you can get a bunch lighter in 18's.

Dan

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Dan. I think Ill wait till Feb for the PS2's

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheHunter