Mystery Oil leak,,,any suggestions?

V10 PWRD

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Went out for about 15 minutes this afternoon and the car started to smell funny. Noticed smoke coming from under the hood. Was close to home and hurried back in to garage. There was a trail of drips and when I opened the hood some smoke was coming from underneath. I got under the car the best I could and there were small drips everywhere. Had the wife come out and start it up while I watched for a leak as she slowly increased the rpm's. Started out at 1000 and increased slowly and held at 3000. Not a leak or drip anywhere. :dunno: Pretty positive the drips are oil since they are light brown very new looking oil. Had oil changed about a month ago. Motor was spotless underneath so there were no previous leaks.
I am heading out to get a low profile floor jack and stands before I attempt to drive it to my shop to put it up on a lift. Anyone else experience this mystery? Any suggestions as to where to look first other than the filter? I'm hoping it's something that won't turn in to a big issue. The mystery is that I can't see a leak or a drip with the motor running. Dipstick shows full. Power steering looks low but oil isn't concentrated near the PS reservoir.
Any help would be appreciated.:usa:

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have no idea, did you clean the oil that inevitably splashed onto the frame when you take the filter off. If you haven't driven it alot maybe that stuff is running off of the horizontal surface or blowing around onto the exhaust.

Sometimes if you don't lube the rubber gasket on the filter well enough and overtighten it, the thing can bind/crimp and leak oil....however both of these effects usually happen right away so I suppose neither of these easy fixes is it.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It should be pretty easy to trace the leak back. There are too many places that could leak for anyone to make a useful suggestion.

viper k

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have a 1996 viper gts sometimes when i get on it over rev oil comes out of dip stick tube

OP
OP
V

V10 PWRD

Viper Owner
Reaction score
May have found the problem. I think it's a power steering issue. Nothin showing on stick so that may explain why I never saw a leak. Just got a jack and will get under it in the AM. Service manual states about 10 times "Do not use automatic tranny fluid!" Since dealer is closed tomorrow any suggestions on what to put in it to detect where the leak is? I think I read forum on PS hoses rubbing together causing a hole. I will do a search tonite. Sure hope that's it.

OP
OP
V

V10 PWRD

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What he said....94 Rt/10 with 17000 miles. I will know something this afternoon. Thanks guys!

OP
OP
V

V10 PWRD

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just spent the best part of an hour under the car with a worklight and rags. I could not find a bad hose, any heavy oil anywhere. Something blew but I can't find it. I'm going to get some Mopar PS fluid and fill the reservoir back up and see if the leak is there. The pump and all under was dry. Very frustrating when you see oil, the frame rails are wet but no excess anywhere to detect the trouble spot. The trail of spots I left down the street and up my driveway still are a mystery. :dunno:
Thanks for the suggestions on what to look for. I will continue to solve this mystery.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sure you checked but you may want to re-check the power steering clamps/hose etc. Sounds like something may have split/busted and sprayed oil... :dunno:

Maybe top off the PS fluid and lower the car. Idle it and have the wife turn the wheel back and forth while you watch closely. I suspect the problem may show itself... If it's the high pressure line or connections.

I guess it would be foolish to ask of the PS cap was on tight?

Good luck

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
May have found the problem. I think it's a power steering issue. Nothin showing on stick so that may explain why I never saw a leak. Just got a jack and will get under it in the AM. Service manual states about 10 times "Do not use automatic tranny fluid!" Since dealer is closed tomorrow any suggestions on what to put in it to detect where the leak is? I think I read forum on PS hoses rubbing together causing a hole. I will do a search tonite. Sure hope that's it.

In 1994 PSF had more antiwear and anti-gall additives than ATF. That is no longer true; ATF is a longer lasting better product than (gulp) 15 years ago. You can use a newer ATF in the PSF reservior, and I believe the new manuals would say to use ATF+4.

OP
OP
V

V10 PWRD

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Tom. I'm going to try again today to see if I can find the leak after putting fluid back in. The car starts and runs fine without a drip or leak anywhere so I'm thinking whatever reservoir was leaking emptied itself and will start leaking again when I put fluid PS back in. I sure hope that's it.
Thanks again. I will let everyone know whatn the mystery is solved and what the heck it was.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang