Nail in the tire

jimmy6383

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got back from cruising and looked at the rear driver side tire to find a nail busted off into the rubber. No visible loss of pressure but i still have the original runflats on the car. So....how do i know if the tire is punctured or if the runflat is doing its job....basically i would just like what to do next.

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Use an air guage weekly if not daily to watch any loss of air pressure. It will probably get worse quickly with tire wear. You may be able to get it patched, but the performance safety, particularly at high speeds (over 80) will be compromised.

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score
And I am not being an ass here. If you can swing 80k for the car chuck the tire in the dump. 400.00 dollars is not worth yourself hitting a wall during some spirited driving!!!!:drive:

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ive had many nails, and aluminum pieces in my tires Ive Plugged/patched them all, with no problems.

First, stop trolling for hookers on those side streets. Don't you know the street sweepers never go down THOSE blocks.
Second, Please go and buy new tires for your Viper. I don't want to read about you in some post. Your family would like for you to come home after driving the VIPER. :drive:

Fast Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im not familiar with those parts of town, maybe you can show me around?

Tires are almost bald, PS2s comming this week. =D

Fast Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My front tires (never any punctures) are at 50% and my rears are at 15% tread Left. Tires have 10k+ miles on them, plugged my first rear tire around 8k miles ago. Again I drive this car for groceries and whatever, so a nail or a screw isn't any surprise.

If you buy a tire from Goodyear, or wheel works etc, what they do if you get a flat (if warrantied) is they take off the tire, patch it from the inside and rebalance it. I drive my car like anyone should drive their viper, but I wouldn't recommend doing any high speed runs over 100mph or any "spirited driving". As most tire manufacturers
automatically void the speed rating of the tire if it has any puncture. If the sidewall is damaged and a bubble has created, I would replace the tire period.

Also this may be just a good excuse for you to switch over to PS2's as the runflats are just horrible tires!

Last edited:

CajunViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had a nail in the rear tires twice. What year is your Viper? Mine is a 2003. Michelin warranted the tires for road hazard and the first time for me they replaced the tire for free. The tire had 8000 miles on it. The second time the tires had 15000 mile and they gave me 40% the new tire. When this happened I replaced both rear tires so that was no difference in the outside diameter of the tires. You don’t want to mess up your rear end. Check the warranty info that came with the car. You may still have to buy 1 tire, but that’s better than buying both.

05Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had to patch the rear original tires once each on my 05. I put 23000 miles on them and never had any problems with the patches including a couple of days at the local drag strip. For average use and using a good tire repair shop, I have absolutely no concerns with riding on a patched tire. I have PS2's now, what a ride/handling difference! If the need arises, I'll patch these too!

SixFootSix

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had a nail in the rear tires twice. What year is your Viper? Mine is a 2003. Michelin warranted the tires for road hazard and the first time for me they replaced the tire for free. The tire had 8000 miles on it. The second time the tires had 15000 mile and they gave me 40% the new tire. When this happened I replaced both rear tires so that was no difference in the outside diameter of the tires. You don’t want to mess up your rear end. Check the warranty info that came with the car. You may still have to buy 1 tire, but that’s better than buying both.

So what you are saying is that the OEM tires on the car have a warranty? I have an 06 SRT with Michelins.

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
had a nail in my run flat memorial day weekend. had the tire plugged and no issues. ive even raced it at limerock and my crusin speed on the expressways is an avg 80mph and many times hit 140mph without any problems. my old viper had 3 plugs in one tire and again no issues ever. sooooo i guess play at your own rish??

CajunViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SixFootSix,
In 2003, that was the first year Michelin made run flats. So, Yes, there were. Check the Michelin booklet that came with the car. 2006 may be the same. It pays to read all that stuff.

SixFootSix

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SixFootSix,
In 2003, that was the first year Michelin made run flats. So, Yes, there were. Check the Michelin booklet that came with the car. 2006 may be the same. It pays to read all that stuff.

I did not get a booklet like that in my car I bought it used.
Does anybody have a PDF or link to this info?
Thanks
BL

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just had a punture repaired last week on a Michelin Sport Cup. The tire tech said the repair would be as strong as the original tire and would not compromise safety, even on a road course.

I double checked with Luke at The Tire Rack just to be safe. He confirmed what the tire tech said. As long as the side wall was not damaged and no moisture got into the tire, it is perfectly safe to use on either street or track.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My front tires (never any punctures) are at 50% and my rears are at 15% tread Left. Tires have 10k+ miles on them, plugged my first rear tire around 8k miles ago. Again I drive this car for groceries and whatever, so a nail or a screw isn't any surprise.

If you buy a tire from Goodyear, or wheel works etc, what they do if you get a flat (if warrantied) is they take off the tire, patch it from the inside and rebalance it. I drive my car like anyone should drive their viper, but I wouldn't recommend doing any high speed runs over 100mph or any "spirited driving". As most tire manufacturers
automatically void the speed rating of the tire if it has any puncture. If the sidewall is damaged and a bubble has created, I would replace the tire period.

Also this may be just a good excuse for you to switch over to PS2's as the runflats are just horrible tires!

According to Michelin the Run Flats are not to be repaired which is why I changed over to Non Run Flats by Michelin. I have plugged both rear tires with a kit I bought form NAPA that uses a gun to insert a mushroom head plug into the tire from outside that is coated with vulcanizing compound. You then pull the plug outward until it is seated and cut it off with a knife.

The NAPA Part Number is 710-1637.

Robbie

CajunViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
jimmy6383,

Remember that with 7000 miles on the rear tires if you replace only 1 there will be a diameter difference between the 2 rears which could result in damage to the rear end. It only takes a 1/16” difference.

DavidSB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you can't get a warranty replacement consider a take-off with approximately the same tread depth. Call JonB at PartsRack or Mark at Woodhouse. They often have some.

OP
OP
J

jimmy6383

Enthusiast
Reaction score
got it patched and the guy said not to drive at high speeds, nail was to close to the side wall. so now im just going to use it as an excuse to get new wheels and tires.

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score
got it patched and the guy said not to drive at high speeds, nail was to close to the side wall. so now im just going to use it as an excuse to get new wheels and tires.

I will not say. Can not say it. Resisting the urge........... Can't help myself.....

I told you so.:D

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
This is a NO-WIN post for me. I make it anway, out of concern for your safety and those around you:

Definitions: PLUGS are rubber cords that are inserted from OUTSIDE the tire, usually with a punch-like device that leaves the gooey plug behind. You snip off the end. For a high-performance car like a VIPER, to be driven in a performance manner, PLUGS should be considered a TEMPORARY REPAIR !

PATCHES are inserted from inside the dismounted tire carcass, after buff-n-glue prep of the inside area. These patches are all about the size of a silver dollar. Modern patch-plugs have the best of both worlds: a plug-like ****** that does NOT need to be cut off....or a pull-thru plug attached to the inner patch like an umbilical cord. Patches and Patch-Plugs are considred to be permanent repairs.

Some venues (Silver State, Pony Express) expressly PROHIBIT PLUGS OR PATCHES.
Viper Days says: Plugged tires are discouraged, but allowed in Green Group Only (novice) WITH an instructor who is capable of "SOTP" feel on a potentially deflating tire. Patched tires OK in non-race events. VRL patches prohibited.

Lateral carcass and tread stresses and heat ON TRACK are just too much for a plug-only quik fix. Personal confession: I have driven many PROFESSIONALLY PATCHED VIPER TIRES during on trcak events, including Pace Car Ride-Alongs. I would NEVER do this with a plugged tire.

BE SAFE OUT THERE, PLEASE !

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
" Modern patch-plugs have the best of both worlds: a plug-like ****** that does NOT need to be cut off....or a pull-thru plug attached to the inner patch like an umbilical cord. Patches and Patch-Plugs are considred to be permanent repairs"

Jon, You explained the plug system that I use better than I did.

Thanks,

Robbie

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
userSRTbro_