Navy Thinks About Updating Their Viper...

Reaction score
As with many Viper owners, the Navy recently began exploring the idea of increasing the horsepower of their Viper (model# F-16N). They were interested in why my Viper was so much quicker, so we shared power-plant secrets back and forth. In the end, I gave them Doug Levin's phone number. Sorry Doug I know you're busy, but this is for National Security!!

You must be registered for see images

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Navy employes F-16's? I never heard of a tailhook equipped F-16. Also wern't F-16's once referred to as Fighting Falcons?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was at MacDill during the switch from F4 to F16 and they were called Falcons then. Maybe they changed them for promo reasons.

OP
OP
E
Reaction score
I was at MacDill during the switch from F4 to F16 and they were called Falcons then. Maybe they changed them for promo reasons.

Remember, this is an "F-16N". Only 12 ("N") were made, according to owners. Contact 388th FW Hill AFB in Utah for more info. Used by 12th Air Force and Navy Demo Teams. They're a bargain, if you want one...

FranciscoR.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was at a training base once. It was a day that 4 F-16s for the Air Force were doing practice bombing and strafing runs. Let me tell you, it was amazing. They were like bats out of hell. They were loud, inefficient, and tons of fun. Just like Vipers.

JDR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dropped by the show last weekend...
Vipereus Optimus had a constant crowd. It was nice to see it there - and placed so well :cool:

Did you talk anyone into a ride in your car for a ride in their jet?

Fishtail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome picture! Did you trade rides? :) Bet they were skeeeerd :D

-Lou

OP
OP
E
Reaction score
Did you talk anyone into a ride in your car for a ride in their jet?

I tried, but no takers! It was funny. I talked with pilots about their Jets, as I was more interested in that than my Viper, but they were more interested in the Viper.

I took a couple for a "Test Drive" (a violent action with a DLM motor) and they said they had never been in anything that accelerated that fast before. One exception was a Pilot who regularly gets catapulted off of an Aircraft Carrier.

Next year at the Airshow we might get another Viper vs. Viper drag race. This time, however, the Viper auto WILL win!...

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Navy uses the "Air Force" F-16 Viper as part of their "agressor" squadron (or the planes that are used to "play" the enemy).

There were time that these "agressor" aircraft were painted exactly as Soviet aircraft. As those old, colorful and different paint schemes have disappeared on the real "enemy" aircraft, they have also done so on the Navys.
HTH

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the end, I gave them Doug Levin's phone number. Sorry Doug I know you're busy, but this is for National Security!!
Hey we better not lose Doug to the Navy, I will hold you respsonsible for this lol.

Hey Doug how much fun will be to supercharge and tune F16s :eek:

Fishtail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ha Ha, I think Doug is a little too busy to put blowers on airplanes :) .
I've never seen so many Vipers under construction in one place at his shop it's unreal! He's now got DLM number 3 shop being built :eek:
-Lou

MaxedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ha Ha, I think Doug is a little too busy to put blowers on airplanes :) .
I've never seen so many Vipers under construction in one place at his shop it's unreal! He's now got DLM number 3 shop being built :eek:
-Lou
No doubt :eek: DLM one of the biggest in the country.Dodge did their annual report at his shop because of DLM's influence in the viper performance market
The pic of the viper and jet looks awesome :shocked:

Max