Need a new battery... recommendations?

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
personally, had bad luck with optima,so have a couple friends. To me they're just not worth the extra money.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
If you track your car...go gel...if not, consider 75 series Sears Die-Hard Gold ($80.00, good warranty)...SOME Vipers will take 78 series, some won't...so, I go with 75 series in all of our Vipers.

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i went optima, but needed to cut down the top post, a bit.
used a file no big deal...but..WARNING if you cut too much you will ruin the battery.
Mine is fine but took 2 trys. lucky for me the part store took the two mistakes back as
defects....

TomMiriViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OEM. Fits, looks and is correct, performs well, plenty of cranking amps, etc.
I just replaced mine. What a nightmare :p . I'll never try to fit an aftermarket battery again. I cut the posts like an idiot and It wouldn't work. I tried to take it back and they said SORRY. Use the OEM :2tu: .

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used an Optima and can't be happier but I hear I got lucky as heck that it fit right in with no problems. I even had 1/4 or so extra room on top.

If I were you, I'd buy the Optima and the Gold. Take out the old battery and try to fit in the Optima. If it goes in like mine did, return the Gold. If it gives you troubles, return it and use the Gold.

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just popped in a group 75 Diehard Gold last month and works perfect. 60 US or so.

Too many Optima issues for me to attempt, duds off the shelf, hacking posts, etc.

FRANK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got a new one from my local Walmart with over 700 cca's..i think I paid $59.99 for it. Turns the V-10 over effortlesly...
Just take a physical measurement and head on down to the local white trash Walmart and buy the same size with as many cca's as possible!

Vypr GT2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just slipped a DieHard Gold 75 in my '98 GT-2 last night. The fit was a little snug, but went in without too much drama. Paid $79 (plus $7 for not having an old battery to trade in on the new one) at Sears.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get the Optima.The battery tray may need to be stretched a little using a bottle jack.Don't cut the terminals.Just do a little stretching.Why Optima?Doesn't puke acid out on to your car. Bruce

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bruce, optimas ****, they don't work. Tried 2 and both the same,,,,,, junk. Had 2 buddies with same prob.Not worth the price when you have to replace 3 times a much. Get a reg. battery and keep it clean.