Need advice, hand placement when closing the 2002 RT/10 hood?

RTScott

Viper Owner
Reaction score
On page 141 of Maurice Liang's book "Viper Buyer's Guide, Maurice recommends closing the Gen 1 or 2 hood "...by pushing down above the springs (about 18-24 inches from the front lip of the hood). Do not push down at the front lip."

I've tried several times unsuccessfully. It is possible pressing down closer to the front lip, but not directly down on the front lip. There is no difficulty opening the hood or movement of the hood from closed position up, or down. It is just difficult to close by placing my hands where Maurice recommends. Anyone with a Gen 2 have any suggestions? As always, thanks in advance.

v/r

Scott :crazy:

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Jeesh, I do this all the time and I can't even recall exactly how I do it. I believe I put my hands about 6 inches from each side of the top corners of the NACA duct and then push down with a decent amount of force. Works every time.

D

DAMN YANKEE

I would also add the following...

I check that both rear ends of the hood are properly resting and are free to close.

I place one knee against the front bumper and set the other leg a litte back (this makes a BIG difference as you will always have the same set-up).

I extend both arms and touch my finger on the upper most part of the front end (not the hood). I figure this is as far down as I want to push when the hood is fully closed.

I then bend my arms, put my hands exactly were Chad recommends...

And with some force, press down fast.

After a while you wont need to "set " your fingers, but always place that knee.

MAVPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have only had my Viper for a few week now and i was a bit nervous about this issue also.
This is what i do............
Lower the back of the hood all the way down (do not lower the front at all!) now from the front take a look under the hood and you should see these springs (this is a strong point of the hood). Place a hand over each one and spread your fingers, now you can give it a firm push down and it should close no problem. Works for me anyway :)
Maybe apply a bit of grease as well? it wont do any harm, I did this as soon as i got mine.

Hope this has helps

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry, I only addressed the final part of closing the hood. :bonker: Yankee addresses this above, but I will put my process down as well.

The first step: Make sure the cabin end (the part in the air) is firmly seated in the brackets. Then proceed to the front. So it is a two step process. Also, just because one side of the hood is seated (in the black metals brackets near the side sills) doesn't mean the other side is. Make sure the hood is all the way down on both sides. THEN proceed to the front and push down as stated above.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
As Maurice and Chad state, but this item was NOT mentioned above:

Gen 1-2: Press Down Firmly in ONE SMOOTHE MOVE. "Follow-Thru" Kaaa-CHUNK.

Dont be timid. Then pull up slightly at each wheel-well corner to ensure the 2 front latches engaged. Drive Happy

OP
OP
R

RTScott

Viper Owner
Reaction score
CROM, JonB,

Thanks, a little grease here and there and it is a bit easier. I can't seem to get higher on the front end though than 12-16". (CROM) I'm in St. Mary's County, 25 minutes south of King George County, Virginia.

Thanks again.

Scott

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On one of my cars does the same thing.... hood latch release cable doesn't completely go back once the hood has been opened. What happens is the hood will not shut on the drivers side until you push on the front lip (which is a no no). Try making sure the cable latch (the one that you first pull to open the hood) is back in the proper position. Once I put the calbe back in the right position it shuts like a dream with my hands in the above the hinges.

Just trying to help. Good luck.

RobZ

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yup, good advice from everyone. I always check both sides at the rear and press firmly on either side of the air intake (NACA duct).

Good point on checking that both latches caught, I will add that to my routine.

OP
OP
R

RTScott

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Don't know that Taximan1 had advice... :)

All is fine, thanx Rob Z and HV. It is now closing fine. Have oiled and greased everything. Thanks everyone. Will be putting the sills back on tomorrow morning, then washing and waxing, 61 degrees expected in Maryland.

v/r

Scott