Need advice on long term storage.

EA6BPilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am heading back to the Middle East......lovely place......NOT! Anyways, I have to garage my snake and was wondering what steps I should take since I won't be able to drive her for 6+ months. Should I put the car on jacks? Should I disconnect the battery? Do I need change the oil before I leave or add anything to the crankcase? Any advice would be welcome. I hate to leave her, but duty calls. Thanks in advance!

Warren S

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Go for a good long drive!

I don’t know if you necessarily need to change the oil if you have done so recently. But I would put it up on jack stands to avoid flat-spotting the tires. In addition: Remove the spark plugs and squirt a little oil in each cylinder. Cold crank it a few seconds to evenly distribute the oil in the cylinders. Reinstall the plugs. Remove the left rear wheel to remove the battery compartment cover (10 bolts). Disconnect the battery and put it on a Battery Tender or a low amp trickle charger with an outlet timer set for 30 minutes a day. Remember that your door locks will not work when the battery is disconnected. A car cover will help keep the dust away. Hope this helps.

:usa:

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In addition, if you don't have any animals or small kids that'll get into it, you should put a few packs of rat poison or the like on each wheel. Mice like to nest under the intake and make a mess of your wires.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
6 months is nothing for the oil and other fluids. However, it is summer now and in 6 months it'll be winter. The summer fuel is low volatility and you'll need high volatility gasoline to start in colder temperatures. I'd fill the tank only 1/3 to 1/2, start it in the warm garage when you return and get fuel on your first trip out. Even in North Carolina.

OP
OP
E

EA6BPilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks all! I think I'll be set with all the advice. As for the long drive, that's the best advice of all! I'll be having the DTs by the time I get back after not having had my fix for 6 months! See everyone when I return.

OP
OP
E

EA6BPilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Hisserman. Its my 3rd trip there, and each one is worse than the one before. The only saving grace that I can say about that place is that I have my GTS due to being deployed there! Tax free is a good thing! LOL

Frank

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fresh fluids.Fresh fuel with stabilizer.Oil cylinders.Put away clean.Do Not jack up!Pump up tires and drive up on "stock pen mats"Heavy rubber 4x8 mats.Buy at a feed or animal supply store,Buy 2,quarter them.drive up on them doubble stacked.Each one is 3/4" thick.Trickle charge battery or remove and charge,Drop in a bunch of moth balls.Place them under the hood too.No bugs,mildew or rodents. Hold that vision of a nice upcoming drive.let air out of tires and go. Bruce

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good advice by all.

After some research I dropped the moth ball routine and went with Bounce dryer sheets for the interior of the car, even tossed some in the exhaust tips. Smells alot better come spring. Still mothballed the exterior under the car.

Stay safe over there.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would recommend that you just bring the car up to my house in Durham, NC and I will take care of it for you so it doesn't have to go through the storage process ;)

OP
OP
E

EA6BPilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
slaughterj - Riiiiiiiiiight. I'm sure you'd love to beat up someone elses car for awhile! Hopefully when I get back I can join the NC VCA and actually be social for once. Hope to meet you all next year!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang