Need front tires - suggestions

CHAD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I currently run drag radials front and rear as that is how the car was when I bought it. Seems to drive ok but I had a flat this afternoon and want to replace the fronts. I have stock ACR wheels.

For those who are running drag radials in the rear, what do you recommend up front? Stock Pilots? Pilot Cups? 285's instead of 275's? etc? I was considering Pilot Cups all around but have too much fun with the DR's in the rear and am too lazy to change wheels for the track.

My first choice before any suggestions from you is to run a 285/35 Pilot up front as a plus 10 to match the 345 DR's in the rear. Please let me know what works best for you.

Thanks,

Chad

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have always heard that you should drive with a matched set of tires on the front and rear for the best handling and performance. Personally, I would not mix the tires if you can avoid it.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Obviously its silly to run DR's up front too, so the matched pair philosphy doesnt quite apply. At least as far as I am concerned.

I can not tell you what the best choice is, but know that I have the following combinations currently in my garage:

Michellin pilot sport 315/30/18 FRONTS
Michellin pilot sport Cup 315/30/18 FRONTS
PIRELLI PZERO ASMETRICAL 295/30/18 FRONTS

MICHELLIN PILOT sport 335/30/18 REARS
Michellin Pilot Sport Cup 345/30/18 REARS
BFG DR 345/30/18 REARS

IF you put the BFG's or Cups on the car, I dont recommend driving in the rain.

that asside BFG's can acceptably be mixed with street tires, or cup tires up front, just remember its not a handling machine at that point.

So here is what I would do based on CONDITIONS:

Road Course/Track = Pilot Sport Cups all around (315 front/345 Rear)

Drag Race = Pilot sport or Pirelli (which ever is the SMALLEST, as the bigger they are the more drag and weight they create/bring on excelleration UP FRONT ( In my case, I would run the pirelli's as they are the smaller of my two street tires) but in the REAR would be the 345 BFG's

In the rain, street tires all around (In my case 315 up front, 335 rear).

I have two different sets of rims and a Wheel/tire & balancing machine at my house, so I cheat, as I can do all these changes in about 1 hour most, based on what I expect to use the car for.

Hope this helps.

Jon

OP
OP
C

CHAD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon, wheel/tire and balancing machine?!?!?! Very cool. What wheels are you running? Must be 11+" fronts?

Anyone else?

Thanks,

Chad

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No I am not running 11+ up front, I am running stock 10's. There is some BS about them "streching" or not being appropriate on 10 inch rims. But I just dont buy it, as I have both 295 and 315 on 10 inch rims, and I can NOT see a major difference in tire bulge. If anyone wants to refute this, please do it with REAL WORLD experience, as I PERSONALLY have both 295 and 315's on my 10 inch rims, and they handle great, with a slight advantage going to the 315's.

Jon