NEED HELP 96 OR 97 GTS ?

MG1984

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IM LOOKING TO BUY A VIPER IN THE NEXT WEEK OR TWO BUT WHAT YEAR SHOULD I BUY A 96 OR 97 GTS? MUST BE A BLUE/WHITE STRIPES.PROS AND CONS ON WHAT YEAR TO BUY.

Foster1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT COLOR="Black">I'd go with a 97 since 96's have had a lot of recall issues. In 97, most of these were fixed. IMHO, though, you're better off getting a 98 and painting it blue/white.</FONT c>

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go with a good clean low mileage GTS and get an extended warranty, and the year will not matter. I wouldn't base my decision on year as much as I would on the quality of the individual car.

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would agree with Steve but if both cars are equal in quality and mileage I would go with the 97. Not because I have one but because they worked out some of the kinks from the previous year. I also agree on the extended warranty. That should be the first upgrade you do when you get the car.
smile.gif

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1) Try to get an extended warranty - the cars are very relibale, but everything is expensive.

2) Purists may prefer the 1996's as the first year and the pace car year. 1997's seem to run particularly strong, although some 96's are right up there, too.

3) 1996 is the only year that the stripes run through the license plate opening - cosmetic, but I think it looks better.

4) 1996 and 1997 have had the same amount of recalls - 1. There have been several TSB's (Technical Service Bulletins) but only one recall and that is for 1996-1999 and into 2000. I do not believe that there are major reliability differences between these 2 years. It has never been documented here.

Good luck and congrats on the best color scheme...
smile.gif

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">I agree with Steve. Find the right car, in your preferred color with extended warranty.

Both 1996 & 1997 GTS's had their share of TSB's but so do all year Vipers. Get them performed and you're set (most probably have been already anyway).

On the plus side, if you're into it there's a bit of novelty in getting the first year GTS, the Indy Pace car year, the year with the full stripes, etc.

The only downside is the cast wheels in all of 1996 and early 1997's. Fine for street, not for track with anything other than stock tires. Easy fix by swapping out for late 1997 or 1998 wheels (if you prefer stock look) or going to 18" '99+ wheels. Plenty of take offs available.

I myself only wanted a 1996 GTS and have zero regrets.

</FONT f>

NJVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know someone who just put their 1996 Blue with White stripes for sale. It has 7,*** original miles, and about 2 years left on a DC warranty. Only modification is a borla exhaust. He states it is in excellent shape. If you are interested in talking to him, let me know. Otherwise..good luck!

Indy7

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Janni, I see you are the vca president for the Carolinas. Would it be possible to attend any viper meets even though I dont own a viper. I own a 96 IndyRam and would love to one day buy a viper with the same color scheme. I am currently going to school in the Raleigh/Durham area and would love to attend any local meets just to check out some vipers.
Thanks
Javier

OP
OP
M

MG1984

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info.question how many miles can the car have and still get the extend warranty?