Need help - Backyard Buddy Lift

VenomSteve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I recently got a used Backyard Buddy lift, and I am having soming interference issue. The issue is with the lift's release lever end links interferring with one of the mounting nut of the piston side ramp (both ends has the same problem). Anyhow, I was wondering if any owners out there is willing to post a pic of your setup so I can compare.

Thanks in advance...Steve

Attachments

• byb linkage.jpg
    byb linkage.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 101

Mutts02GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you get assembly instructions with the lift? I looked at their website and they have the manuals online for viewing. I don't have a lift yet, we are military and still have three years to wife's retirement, maybe then. Hope you get yours working right. Jeff

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let me see a bigger pic. I have a lift very similar to the backyard buddy.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a BYB. If you could post a pic from a little further away that would be good. From
What you posted that dosent look right...

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here are some pics of my BYB. Hopefully they will be able to help you figure out what's going on. I don't know how ofter they change their design. As far as how the locking system works.

The first two of pics is where my ramps attach...
CIMG2663.JPG

CIMG2664.JPG

These pics are from where the lock system release handle is...

CIMG2668.JPG

CIMG2667.JPG

Hope these help!

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bob's pics confirm what I thought. You've got some bent parts. My lift lock pics are just like Bob's. There is no way that the plate in your pic (the one that's hitting the bolt) can be horizontal (over extended). Let's see what's really going on with a wide shot. I see in the pic where you framed the image to miss the damaged parts.

OP
OP
V

VenomSteve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bob, Thanks for the pics. Mine is much like your except on the older design the connecting linkage between the lever and the lock dog is a "J" hook vs the updated and looking much more reliable design like yours. Here is my question for you. Yours look really close as well. I noticed that on your pic (3) the lift is on lock position, so if you rotate the releasing lever counter clock wise, does the nut on the 3/8" spring loaded rod hit the mounting nut on the ramp? Yes I am aware that you should relese by rotating clock wise, but just wanted to know if there is interference going the other direction. Sorry, I am traveling and don't have any more pics on me. Thanks again in advance...Steve

OP
OP
V

VenomSteve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The plate is horizontal and yes there is a damage part on the other end of the pic (not framed, just the way I took the pic) which on the older design is a 1/4 inch "J" actually more like "L" shaped linkage. Anyhow, mind has interference on both end of the lift if I rotate the release lever counter clock wise. Which is what I am trying to confirm.

Bob's pics confirm what I thought. You've got some bent parts. My lift lock pics are just like Bob's. There is no way that the plate in your pic (the one that's hitting the bolt) can be horizontal (over extended). Let's see what's really going on with a wide shot. I see in the pic where you framed the image to miss the damaged parts.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve based on your response, it sounds like you should replace the older design J hook that you speak of. My lift is an Autolifter 7000 (now defunct). It had the older design locks that you speak of. I fabricated new pivot pieces and parts for mine. The old design is dangerous and faulty. You should have nearly ZERO play and all four locks should engage evenly and simultaneously.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
pics_0181.jpg

Here's a pic of mine. I made mine permanently fixed lengths of rod after calculating the necessary distances. I also welded in corner gussets and drilled holes in them, so that I could use shackles and span sets to hold my car in position (I live in earthquake country)

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bob, Thanks for the pics. Mine is much like your except on the older design the connecting linkage between the lever and the lock dog is a "J" hook vs the updated and looking much more reliable design like yours. Here is my question for you. Yours look really close as well. I noticed that on your pic (3) the lift is on lock position, so if you rotate the releasing lever counter clock wise, does the nut on the 3/8" spring loaded rod hit the mounting nut on the ramp? Yes I am aware that you should relese by rotating clock wise, but just wanted to know if there is interference going the other direction. Sorry, I am traveling and don't have any more pics on me. Thanks again in advance...Steve
To be honest I have never tried to rotate the lever counter clock wise. I might my cars are sleeping for the winter right now however I might be bringing one of my cars to our fall party this saturday so if you can hold out till then I will try to rotate the lever then.

OP
OP
V

VenomSteve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed. The hook style has to go. I will be calling BYB in the morning to see if they have updated spare parts. If not I might take your approach. Thanks.

Steve based on your response, it sounds like you should replace the older design J hook that you speak of. My lift is an Autolifter 7000 (now defunct). It had the older design locks that you speak of. I fabricated new pivot pieces and parts for mine. The old design is dangerous and faulty. You should have nearly ZERO play and all four locks should engage evenly and simultaneously.

OP
OP
V

VenomSteve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BTW I don't have any interference rotating clock wise either, but I would be interested to know how the newer models are setup. Do let me know if and when you have a chance to check it out. Thanks.

To be honest I have never tried to rotate the lever counter clock wise. I might my cars are sleeping for the winter right now however I might be bringing one of my cars to our fall party this saturday so if you can hold out till then I will try to rotate the lever then.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BTW I don't have any interference rotating clock wise either, but I would be interested to know how the newer models are setup. Do let me know if and when you have a chance to check it out. Thanks.

Will do. I meant to do that yesterday but ran out of time. I will try tomorrow. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4