Need Help making a decision between a red 97 RT & 01 Yellow RT.

Go Hogs Go!

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've found a 97' red RT with 2K miles without the factory hard top, and a yellow 01' RT 2K miles w/ factory hard top. There is a significant price difference between the two, but I don't know much about the 97 model year. Anybody know what the pro's and cons are between the 97 and 01 RT model year, and how is the resale value on the race yellow Vipers holding up?

GTSREDDOG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks to me that the yellow would be the better choice due to you already having a yellow GTS. Sure would look great every time you open your garage to see that blast of yellow, even if the sun isnt out you would still have to wear shades.. :cool:

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks to me that the yellow would be the better choice due to you already having a yellow GTS. Sure would look great every time you open your garage to see that blast of yellow, even if the sun isnt out you would still have to wear shades.. :cool:

Im with GTSREDDOG. Go with the yellow RT. Saw one in person and [******], it looked good!! :eek:

Austin

OP
OP
G

Go Hogs Go!

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That would be awesome, but unfortunately I sold the GTS almost a year ago. I've been without a Viper for a while now, and the last one I had was a red GenI RT/10.

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can still buy a new car warranty for the 01 RT/10. The red 97 is probably out of warranty, and with only 2K miles, is hardly broken in. Any problem that develops now is going to be on your dime. (ie, IM gasket, oil leaks) On the other hand, unless you have a "thing" for yellow, why would you want 2 Vipers of the same color? The red 97 will feel and drive differently from your 01 GTS. If it's a typical 97, the difference in the seat-of-the-pants feel between it and your 01 GTS will make you aware why 2000 and up are called "creampuffs."

Wild Bill

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok-I have to join in here since I am also from Arkansas. I have a red RT (as you can see) and the wife want a yellow one. So I say --- get the red one!! (not that I'm partial to the color). Check with the 'viper wizard' I'll bet he can get you a warranty.

Bill

OP
OP
G

Go Hogs Go!

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you mean the 97 is faster, or slower? I've also heard the 97' models have a tendency to heat up more than the 98-02 models. Didn't they upgrade the cooling system in some way around the 98' model year.

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Need Help making a decision between a red 97 RT & 01 Yellow RT.

Hey Hogs, 96-98 are known as the cammed cars that seem to put up the highest stock/near stock power levels and respond to mods (exhaust) typically moreso than 2000+ plus cars.

Yet to see a Viper that doesn't heat up like crazy, I would be concerned over leaky intake gaskets and rear main seals on a 97, both which have been replaced on my 97.

Nice touch is the rims are stronger in 97 and higher shine than 96. 98 is even better on the shine.

good luck in whatever you do,

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score

oh yeah, if you go with the 97, it's that much closer to being a Blue/White 97, which is the fastest of all.....

Do keep that in mind as well!:)

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The 2001 is a much better choice because of the following reasons:

-2001 Was When ABS Was Introduced
Much Better Stopping Power

-Speed! 2001 Has 450HP

-You Will Probably Get The Remainder Of The Factory Warranty
Although this basically covers nothing it is something to have AND extending on this car is cheeper

-Hard Top
The Hard Top Is A VERY good option on these cars. They protect you from just about everything. Plus they are VERY expensive ($2500 and up) to purchase afterwards. Also hard to find the one in your color unless you order it from the factory.

-The Car Is Newer End Of Story. :D

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What the 01 has that the 97 doesn't:
<ul type="square"> [*]ABS [*]Brushed Aluminum Hand Brake, Door Releases [*] Faux Brushed Aluminum Gauge Trim Rings [*]Power Mirrors [*]Inside Hatch Release [*]Air Bag Cut-off Switch [*]Keyed Alarm Reset Switch [*]18-inch Wheels [*]Michelin Pilot Sports [*]Cast Pistons [*]Smoother Idle [/list]
What the 97 has that the 01 doesn't:
<ul type="square"> [*]Neutral Gear Rattle [*]17-inch Wheels [*]6-year old Michelin MXX3's [*]Forged Pistons [*]Lopey Cam [*]Probably 10-15 more RWHP [*]More immediate seat-of-the-pants feel [/list]

All said, there is no wrong choice.

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love my yellow 01 !!
go to the brightside and enjoy yellow fever!!
MyPictures0024.jpg

Jim

RSNAKE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: Need Help making a decision between a red 97 RT &amp; 01 Yellow RT.

Hey Hogs, 96-98 are known as the cammed cars that seem to put up the highest stock/near stock power levels and respond to mods (exhaust) typically moreso than 2000+ plus cars.

Yet to see a Viper that doesn't heat up like crazy, I would be concerned over leaky intake gaskets and rear main seals on a 97, both which have been replaced on my 97.

Nice touch is the rims are stronger in 97 and higher shine than 96. 98 is even better on the shine.

'99 has the same cam as well.

OP
OP
G

Go Hogs Go!

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks for all the info. This place is the best source for accurate Viper info. Just thought I'd let every one know I decided on the 01' yellow RT. Less maintance issues = more fun, and they only made race yellow for two model years.

HP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Good, I PMed you about the 97 - e-mail me back (don't post)- us Arkies have to
stick together. ;)

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Go Hogs Go!,
welcome to the yellow brotherhood.
yellow fever will soon follow... paint everthing you own yellow......

you made the bright choice!!!
you will not regret it, we have more HP and better resale than any other color!!! :)

Jim

riverflyer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mendocino, on the lovely North coast of California

'99 has the same cam as well.
are you saying 99 has the lopey cam like 97 and 98?

monnieh

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Go 97, very rare, smoothy hood. I had one, it was fun.