Need Help - Transmission/Clutch Issue

witz323

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My problem starts when i try moving from a standstill and into first gear. The car really bogs and feels like it's not engaging into gear. It requires higher revs to get going. There is a decent rattling noise coming from the rear end, and the clutch pedal feels a bit spongy. The gear engagement issue is very recent, it just started a day ago.

Here's some background. It's and '04 with 5,000 miles. 1,500 miles ago I had a brand new clutch installed at the dealer. I had purchased the car with 2,000 miles and 500 miles later the clutch was fried. I assumed the previous owner either didn't know how to drive a manual, or just did 2,000 miles worth of burnouts. I have 105,000 miles on my daily driver and have never replaced the clutch, so I don't think it's my driving that's causing the issue. This summer I had the full Belanger headers/exhaust installed and I think I fried an O2 sensor. The check engine light has been on for quite some time and getting the car into reverse gear has been a pain in the butt. I understand that the O2 sensor and reverse gear are on the same solenoid so that's what I belive to be causing this issue.

What i'm wondering is why it's not getting into 1st gear properly. Is it an issue with the computer becuase of the O2 sensor not functioning properly? Perhaps it's running a terrible air/fuel mixture? It better not be the clutch.

Any help/insight would be greatly appreciated. I'm taking it to the Viper Tech tomorrow morning, but I thought I'd see if I could gather some information on here first.

OP
OP
W

witz323

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have not changed the clutch fluid. If you could suggest a specific clutch fluid brand, i will get some today and see what happens. Thanks for suggestion!

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Use any good DOT 3/4 brake fluid. Ask your viper tech, but I like Valvoline Syn. I **** out the old stuff with a turkey baster and refill it with the new stuff. Then if you really want to purge the system, bleed out the old stuff stuck in the clutch line.

OP
OP
W

witz323

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I dropped the car off this morning. I have a feeling the problem is related to the O2 sensors being bad and that throwing off the mapping. I'll know more later...

Reaction score
I added comments below.

My problem starts when i try moving from a standstill and into first gear. The car really bogs and feels like it's not engaging into gear. It requires higher revs to get going. There is a decent rattling noise coming from the rear end, and the clutch pedal feels a bit spongy. The gear engagement issue is very recent, it just started a day ago.

Did they replace the flywheel and the clutch? If the clutch was that bad then the flywheel is probably warped or at least hot spotted.

Here's some background. It's and '04 with 5,000 miles. 1,500 miles ago I had a brand new clutch installed at the dealer. I had purchased the car with 2,000 miles and 500 miles later the clutch was fried. I assumed the previous owner either didn't know how to drive a manual, or just did 2,000 miles worth of burnouts. I have 105,000 miles on my daily driver and have never replaced the clutch, so I don't think it's my driving that's causing the issue. This summer I had the full Belanger headers/exhaust installed and I think I fried an O2 sensor. The check engine light has been on for quite some time and getting the car into reverse gear has been a pain in the butt. I understand that the O2 sensor and reverse gear are on the same solenoid so that's what I belive to be causing this issue.

The skip shift, reverse lockout, 02 sensors all share power with the PCM. If you have a short to ground from the 02 sensor and are not blowing the fuse you may be affecting adversely the other components (PCM), get it fixed! The 02's also are grounded by the PCM so check that also before you hurt the PCM.

What i'm wondering is why it's not getting into 1st gear properly. Is it an issue with the computer becuase of the O2 sensor not functioning properly? Perhaps it's running a terrible air/fuel mixture? It better not be the clutch.

See above

Any help/insight would be greatly appreciated. I'm taking it to the Viper Tech tomorrow morning, but I thought I'd see if I could gather some information on here first.

OP
OP
W

witz323

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Had the car in friday, and the issue lies in the belanger headers/exhaust. It's thrown the mapping way off mark. As it is now, i've likely got less power than stock. I had the dealer remove the PCM and it's being sent to Snakeoil in Madison, wi for a re-program that will run the car a bit richer at start up, turn the fan on at a lower temp, eliminate the skip shift, and ignore the 02 sensors. Overall the air/fuel mix will be custom to take advantage of all the Belanger goodies. I should have had the PCM re-flashed when i got the Belanger stuff installed, but I had no idea it would be an issue. I wonder if everyone who changes headers, cats and exhaust has their PCM replaced or re-programmed? I'm looking forward to getting the car back with even MORE POWER!!!

OP
OP
W

witz323

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Picked up the car last night after work. HOLY @#$%^@, this Viper is ALIVE! The redline is 200 RPMs higher now, and this car just hauls @SS. I couldn't be more happy with the work I received from Snak-Oil and 5 Corners Dodge. I'm looking forward to getting it back to the track next summer and hopefully do a few more mods.