Need help with a issue guys !!

happy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Have a 02 GTS and I put in a poly tranny mount few years ago and was goig to order the poly motor mounts this week! Every time I go to spin or go along and hit the gas hard and tires break loose my car hops feels like rear end is just bouncing every time .... What else could be causing this?? I have 335/30/20's on back Michelin pilot just hate when the car does this every time I hit it hard and it starts to spin. It does it. What else can I check or do??

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car started to do this recently (my 03), and this was due to my rear end going out. basically one side of the rear diff clutch is in lock mode, so when one wheel loses traction it doesn't know what to do bu start spinning (basically no posi-track).

We're trying some rear diff slip lub to see if that unceases it, if that doesn't work, its rear diff rebuild time. FYI, that car has about 40k of real hard miles.

The other thing it could be is old tires, but I doubt that given what you are explaining.

Reaction score
Have a 02 GTS and I put in a poly tranny mount few years ago and was goig to order the poly motor mounts this week! Every time I go to spin or go along and hit the gas hard and tires break loose my car hops feels like rear end is just bouncing every time .... What else could be causing this?? I have 335/30/20's on back Michelin pilot just hate when the car does this every time I hit it hard and it starts to spin. It does it. What else can I check or do??

Check:
Shocks, inspect while the car is in the air and look for oil leaking around the shafts. Tire pressure, too high or too low. Tire age, and perhaps a failing rear diff.

Good Luck!
Doug

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nsane1

Seems like the latest and greatest solution to weak gen III diffs is the wave trac limited slip. Worth checking out. Lifetime guarantee. The guys at Unitrax like it too.

happy Check every nut and bolt on your rear suspension to see that they are properly torqued. Could also be tired or worn out shocks.

Reaction score
The engine mounts will help all or most of this. If the old stock mounts are torn or very deteriorated the engine rolls around a lot when on and off throttle, this rubberband effect will cause the wheel hop by loading the unloading the tire in a cycle. Holding the engine still makes this more direct and helps reduce the hop.

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Does your shift knob move more than 1/4" when punching the throttle? If so, get the poly mounts.
Lift the car onto jacks and re-torque all the bolts holding the diff. Mine were all off spec when I got my 98'. Made a big difference and eliminated one of the many noises my drivetrain makes.

OP
OP
H

happy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My shocks are original but don't think there leaking!!! I'm a order the mounts anyways and be done with that!! I will jack her up and find specs an start torque ing everything at the back underneath connected to rear end!!

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The reason this problem can be hard to define is that there are many things that can cause this issue. Mark and Doug made some good comments. Tell us some more about your car, engine or driveline mods, how many miles? Those 20 inch rear wheels use a Mich tire with a very stiff sidewall, tire pressure should be 28-29 cold.

OP
OP
H

happy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Has a tuner borla exhaust poly tranny mount! Lowering springs on front took back out cause was too low yes has Michelin tires I run 31 psi I find these tires hook up very well it's hard to make the car spin also who would you guys recommend for ordering the motor mounts from woodhouse or roe??

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The reason this problem can be hard to define is that there are many things that can cause this issue. Mark and Doug made some good comments. Tell us some more about your car, engine or driveline mods, how many miles? Those 20 inch rear wheels use a Mich tire with a very stiff sidewall, tire pressure should be 28-29 cold.

Is that 28-29 for daily driving? I have mine set at 35 cold :(

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stock motor mounts and a stiff tranny mount is a bad combo. Your putting a bunch of stress on the tail shaft housing, besides the fact that your motor mounts have likely sagged and dropped and the poly mounts tend to be taller and don't sag. So now you've changed your driveline angles a bit and put a bunch of extra stress on the trans. As an FYI all my u joints were bad or failing at 10,000 miles.