Need rear glass for an RT/10!!!

ghayes420

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a 1998 RT/10. My nephew broke my rear glass. Dodge has over a year wait for this piece. JonB at parts rack shipped me the only one he had. It shattered thanks to UPS along with some questionable packaging. He has no more in stock.

DOES ANYONE HAVE A REAR GLASS FOR A GEN 2 RT/10??? Please e-mail me at [email protected] or PM me.

Thanks!!

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Safelite is who makes the glass for Dodge. I just had my rear glass replaced under warranty last week. The glass came from an outside source. There is no one year wait, that is a bunch of [******]. PM me and I can get you the name of the supplier, phone number and the part number.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I called Palmer Dodge for the heck of it. They told me the price was $1500.00 and when I asked how long it would take them to get it, they said it was a "vendor direct ship item", so prob 7-10 days. Their # is 1-770-410-1111 if you need to order from them

Un'sidepiper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just an idea...

If you can make a template from some else's back glass you could have a shop like Tap Plastics cut it out for you. Then wrap with some weather stripping and attach the snaps.

I imagine you could fab your own for cheap.

Knight Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Description Price Core Qty Total
Collision Catalog - 1998 - Dodge - Viper
Back glass, Glass, Glass, Convertible, Convertible 45.10 0.00 1 45.10
Sub Total: $45.10
Shipping: Ground $10.00
Tax: $0.00
Order Total: $55.10

I ordered it lets see what happens ;)

OP
OP
G

ghayes420

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I called Safelite and the stupid biznitch on the phone kept saying, "we don't do glass on convertibles." I tried to explain that it was not a canvas top, not a true convertible, but she insisted that they don't supply the glass. So they lost my business due to their stupidity. I would recommend everyone to steer clear of these idiots.

I ended up getting a new rear glass with the locks and new keys along with a storage bag from ViperpartsLarry.com It cost $850 shipping included. Larry ships from Oregon so its a short trip here from Nor Cal. He was very helpful and easy to deal with. I will use him in the future for these types of situation. Thanks Chad for the lead!

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm curious why you paid nearly double for it? Did the company SnakeByte posted above not have it for four hundred something?

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why can't somebody trace the outline of their glass and send it to this guy who need the glass. He could then take that outline to a glass company and they could cut a piece of glass for a lot cheaper than $800, I would guess about $50. Then he could call around and get the window seal. I will do it for you but I don't know if the gen1 and gen2 windows are the same shape.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll be happy to do it, but itd be hard to get the correct shape/measurements with the weatherstrip GLUED to the windows and not removable (unless u wanna scrape it off and replace the weatherstrip). Plus Gen 2's have the key cylinder in the back glass that Gen 1's dont have, so a true Gen 2 guy would be the best bet for an accurate trace

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here are the part numbers and what the list prices are

GenI rear glass (snaps-non locking) Part # 4709 425 list for $459

GenII rear glass (locking type) part# 4848 883-AA list for $584

My parts diagram doesn't show details for the locking glass but list the lock package 4848 891-AA $113 and a right/left cover lock and some other things. What you actually need depends on what you can remove off of your old one and on to the new one.

I can get the glass for $375(genI) but wouldn't know if one is available until I placed a order. I would suspect they are available. I don't know