Need some advice on a '94-'95 RT/10

NONO5.0

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Need some advice on a \'94-\'95 RT/10

I'm sure this has been beat to death, but :D I'm seriously considering selling my '81 DeLorean and buying a '94-'95 RT/10. I was wondering if anyone could point me to a link or give me some info on what to look for in these years. (ie common problems these two years have) I want to stay with the '94-'95 for the side pipes and a/c.

Its a REALLY hard decision for me b/c I've had the '81 DMC for over 20 years now (got it when I was 15 years old) I've done an engine and tranny swap in it for dependability (94 4.3 Vortec motor put in in 2000, and I put a manual Porsche 915 tranny in it in '03; BEST decision I ever made!) I'm just rambling now of course :D My 3 year old son really loves the DeLorean which makes it hard as well, but I'm sure he'd love the Viper too.

I also have a '99 Corvette FRC. Please don't flame me :D

Thanks for any help!

Reaction score
Re: Need some advice on a \'94-\'95 RT/10

Keep the DElorean for your kid....Not to be mean, but I doubt what you get for it will make that much of a difference (unless I am seriously wrong about the market for a used Delorean with an new engine, a non-stock tranny...etc.). :)

Otherwise, there is a ton of info out there....Search here for about 3 wweeks, read everything, ask questions. You son will enjoy the GEN I roadster beyond words, I can guarantee it!

Good luck!

PS...How exactly IS the market for used Deloreans?

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The main issue is the head gasket replacement. You will want to find out if it has been done. The tell-tale signs of the leaking gasket are the stains from the antifreeze on the top of the block, easily seen from below.

After that is accomplished also have them do a leak-down test on the car, that goes for any car that is 12 years old or has had the likelihood of being abused.

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Welcome

First GREAT CHOICE! IMHO you can't buy a better car for the $ then a GEN I Viper. Where else are you going to find a car with the performance, looks, and that is as rare (only around 6,000 GEN Is made) as a GEN I viper?

My advice:

1. Get the Viper Buyers Guide. It is an amazing book that will help you in your search.

http://www.amazon.com/Viper-Buyers-Guide-Buyer/dp/0760318352/sr=1-4/qid=1157949781/ref=sr_1_4/104-1538833-8540755?ie=UTF8&s=books

2. Start Looking in the Classified on this site, www.autotrader.com and www.cars.com . Remember Headgaskets are a big issue. All together I paid $2,000 to replace my headgaskets and over a month without my car.

3. Get involved with your local Viper Club. Find out where the next meeting is and see if you can sit in for a meeting. Make some friends and see if you can find a knowledgeable person to look at a car for you. :2tu:

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score

And another datapoint to the head gasket issue; I had 70k miles on my '95 RT/10 before I got rid of it and got a Gen II. Note that not all of the 95's had a head gasket problem - I never had any problems with mine, and it was a daily driver. However, a fellow local club member had problems with theirs, and it was also a daily driver. So, its not a foregone conclusion every '95 will have the problem.

OP
OP
N

NONO5.0

Enthusiast
Reaction score

PS...How exactly IS the market for used Deloreans?

First off, thanks to everyone for all the great replys! Is the head gasket issue mainly for the '95's or are they also for the '94's as well?

On the DeLorean, you can get a junk one for around 10k, a decent one for 18-20k, but a properly swapped out engine/trans in good condition, you can get about 23-25k.

The RT/10's I've been lookin at are around 30-35k so I'd just be looking at a 10-15k difference. Not too bad :cool:

jdoc7

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Head gaskets were a problem on all GEN1 engines (92-96) RT/10's. I think you should keep the DeLorean if it has that much sentimental value to you.

ryan94rt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score

the head gasket issue is for all gen 1's and some of the 96 gen 1 & 1/2's rt/10...

i have an excellent example of a gen 1 that i would be willing to part with for a few thousand more dollars than your 35k...pm if you are interested.

p.s the head gaskets on my 94 rt/10 have been replaced by the newest upgraded gaskets plus several upgrades :2tu:

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score

The Delorean will always be timeless, probably as timeless as a Viper. If you can find away to keep the Delorean and get a Viper, I would go that route. You may get over $20k for the Delorean, but I only see the prices going up now that John is dead. I would ditch the Vette for the Viper if it were me. The Vette's value will only keep going down.

OP
OP
N

NONO5.0

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The Delorean will always be timeless, probably as timeless as a Viper. If you can find away to keep the Delorean and get a Viper, I would go that route. You may get over $20k for the Delorean, but I only see the prices going up now that John is dead. I would ditch the Vette for the Viper if it were me. The Vette's value will only keep going down.

Yea, I have a love/hate relationship with the DeLorean. It HAS to be the worst car ever made! I've worked REALLY ******* it and made it really reliable now though. As far as the value goes, I don't think mine will go up very much...if anything, it'll probably go down since its no where near stock anymore. I'm also thinking the same about the Gen I RT/10's. I'm guessing in the near future they will go up (a lot more then the DMC) and then I won't be able to afford one. (This is probably one of the biggest reasons for me wanting to get one now)

I had thought about just getting a Viper in addition to the Vette/DMC, but I only have a two car garage and wouldn't wana leave the Viper or DMC outside. (Can't leave the Vette outside, its the wife's daily driver) :D Plus, I'm really lucky in the fact that I have no car note. I wouldn't mind doing a note for $10-15k but doing it for up to 35k would be more than what I wana do.

To be completely honest, the DeLorean worries me safety wise. The car is over 25 years old and the trailing arm bolts can break, the ball joints can fail. Either one of these could be deadly and that worries me. I know I can just replace these parts (already did the trailing arm bolts) but its always in the back of my mind. (lately, and I don't know why all the sudden it bothers me) Whereas with the Viper I might have to worry about a possible head gasket? No biggie there as that won't get me killed :crazy: Plus, going from the Vette to the DMC is night and day. With the 4.3, the DMC is WAY more fun than a stock DMC, but still...plus the fact, my wife can't drive it (won't drive it actually) whereas with the Viper she could. Just rambling :smirk:

Thanks again everyone! I REALLY appreciate all the info and insight! :2tu:

94RT10Ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You may find some of this useful.....

Initial introduction in mid-1992 model year
Limited production two-seat roadster (RT/10)
Exterior color: Red
Interior color: Gray
Engines built by Arrow Racing in Detroit
Motor oil filler cap is held in with two extended ends & the hole in valve cover is also notched for the extended ends.
Motor paint is bright red & glossy. It looks like the red body color.
Four ribbed magnesium intake
Fuel filler door has access notch in body
Battery center mounted and accessible only through the trunk
Driver-side rear fender radio antenna
Right side mirror did not say "Objects are closer than they appear"
Front brake caliper lettering reads "VIPER"
Soft Top material is Vinyl
Soft top latch holes on windshield frame have metal plate with 2 rivets & hole for latch.
Plastic stanchion cover on both doors has one hold down screw with 4 clips underneath to hold in place.
Removable rear window has 3 solid plastic brackets that are supposed to snap onto the lower snap points along the ledge behind the seats.
Cooling system has standard "radiator cap" and an over flow bottle tucked into the inner fender area below the passenger side headlight
Fuel filler door notch in body
Rear valance has solid black area below bumper with four ~ 3/8" long vent holes in the corners.
Coolant Temperature gage has "Yellow Zone"
Michelin XGTZ Tires

Black exterior color introduced
Engine production moved to Mound Road Engine Plant
Engine color is a darker shade of red with a flat rough finish.
Motor oil filler cap changed to a threaded cap # 4573497 with "oil filler can" imprint and the valve cover is changed to accept this threaded cap.
Air conditioning added as a dealer installed option
Rocker exhaust covers have clear anti-chip tape on the front and sides in 3 places on both sides.
Plastic stanchion cover on both doors has 4 screws fastening the stanchion cover in place (no clips as on the '92)
Soft top latch holes on windshield frame have molded plastic cap with hole for latch.
Removable rear window has snaps mounted in 3 flexible black leather tabs which snap to fixed snap buttons mounted on the ledge behind the rear seats.
At approx. build date 04/04/93 following changes occurred:
Rear antenna replaced by windshield antenna wire
Battery relocated to left rear fender (side away from fuel filler to make room for BUX rear exit exhaust)
Front caliper lettering changed from "VIPER" to "RT/10"
Reverse lockout added to transmission
Top Material Changed from Vinyl to Cloth
Running Changes:
Fuel filler door access notch moved to fuel filler door instead of being in the body
Rear valance has solid black area below bumper with 6 large vent holes ~ 5 3/8" long x 7/8" high. Four are in the center

Additional exterior colors: Emerald Green, Bright Yellow
Black dash and tan interior available
Passenger assist handle (introduced late in model year)
Air Conditioning available as a factory option
Mobil one becomes engine factory fill, Oil filler cap recieves "Mobil One" logo applicate
Coolant temperature gauge has "Yellow Zone" removed, replaced with red zone only
Running Changes:
Late in year head gasket material was changed
Four ribbed magnesium intake replaced with three rib aluminum intake
Spark plug wires and boots upgraded
"Pull out" hood latches used instead of "pull down" latches
Calipers returned to "Viper"
Rear valance has no vent holes
Trivia:
RT/10 calipers were originally intended for BUX Vipers only, once they were all used up, the "Viper" calipers returned.
Several Euro-Spec Vipers were made with side marker lights, tow hooks, and quieter side exhausts.
BUX Vipers also have engines rated at slightly lower output.

Passenger assist handle (first full model year)
Alignment specifications refined
Factory hardtop available
Seat cushion storage pockets
Trivia:
'95 model year cars had many of the body panel rivets removed for a cleaner appearance.
Last year of production at Mack Avenue Viper plant (facility revamped to manufacture new V-8 engines)
Last 300 cars made at New Mack pin stamped near passenger side window pillar on foot box "Last 300 side exhaust"

RT/10
Exterior design themes: Red with yellow wheels, Black with silver stripe and silver wheels, White with blue stripe and white wheels, stripes are "sabre-tipped"
Higher output engine (415 hp, 488 lb.-ft. torque)
All-aluminum front and rear suspension systems
Rear exit exhaust introduced to U.S. RT/10's
Five-spoke cast wheels with MXX3 Michelin Tires
Trivia:
First year of production at Connner Avenue Assembly Plant (CAAP) (Formerly a Champion Spark Plug facility).
Reverb canister removed from corrugated intake hoses
OBD-II
Exhaust and intake changes allowed engine to be tuned to 415 hp.
The inner hood of is from the upcoming GTS and has the openings to facilitate louvres.
GTS
Coupe body style introduced spring 1996
Viper GTS Blue with white stripe color scheme, completely new "lightweight" engine with higher compression ratio and revised camshaft and forged pistons for increased power - 450 bhp (335 kW)
New Body Features:
Coupe (hardtop and hatchglass) body style
NACA hood duct
Hood louvres
Rear venting outboard from tail the taillights
Racing style quick-release aluminum fuel filler door
High-mounted stoplight features LED backlit Viper emblem
Power (glass) windows
External door "handles"
Five-spoke polished cast aluminum wheels
Completely new black interior featuring:
Manually adjustable accelerator, brake and clutch pedals contolled by knob located under instrument panel
Rotating light switch (replaced push-pull knob of earlier models)
New dash and gauge layout featuring 200 mph speedometer, 7,000-RPM tachometer, engine coolant gauge, oil pressure gauge, fuel gauge and volt meter
AM/FM stereo CD sound system
Storage compartments between seats featuring lower storage bin and upper storage pouch.
Driver and passenger side air bags
Black seats by new manufacturer (Johnson Controls)
Air conditioning becomes standard and now includes a "recirculation" feature.
Trivia:
Hood changed from RTM (Resin Transfer Mold) to SMC (Sheet Molded Compound)
First model with molded key heads with Viper logo
Only model that stripes continue through the license plate area.
Radio moved above climate controls (from below) for easier access.

RT/10
Viper GTS Blue with white stripes/blue interior accents
Viper Red/red interior accents
Sparkle silver wheel package standard
Polished wheel package (optional)
Gold wheel/tan interior package (optional)
Yellow wheel/red accent interior package (optional)
Lightweight engine with higher compression ratio and revised camshaft - 450 BHP (335 kW)
Driver and passenger air bags(c)
Power windows
GTS
Yellow wheel packag
New Red exterior color

All
Tubular stainless headers (24 lbs. lighter, unclaimed + 4hp)
Camshaft change
Next-generation driver air bag passenger air bag on/off switch on dash
All: Silver exterior color
All: Change from smooth to "textured" dash
All: Small "Viper emblem" added to sill covers
All: Alarm reset switch
All: Silver exterior color
All: Mid-year changes:
PCV upgrade
RDC added a fan
RT/10
Hood updated to be same as GTS with NACA duct.
GTS
Optional Blue Center Stripes with Silver exterior color
Optional Silver Center Stripes with Red exterior color
GT2 Edition
Limited production run, in VIN sequence of 100 cars to Commemorate Le Mans victory.
100 car Le Mans victory commemorative GT-2 Run
White with Blue Stripes
Smooth intake tubes and K&N air filters (Rated at 460 HP)
Special GT-2 Badging and decals
Blue interior theme
Racing harnesses with Oreca Logo
Rear Wing (set neutral)
18" BBS Wheels with Viper logo center caps and Michelin Pilot Sport™ tires
"Assembly Camera" in glove compartment
Lower side sill "ground effects"
Front fender "winglets"
Trivia
GT-2 Viper only run of Vipers to date to be run down the line in VIN Sequence

All
Cars now 50 state emissions certified
Power mirrors
Interior rear window/hatch release
Interior updates
New door handles (boomerang)
New shifter knob
Driving light covers removed
Black exterior color
18" wide spoke aluminum wheels with Viper logo center caps
Michelin Pilot Sport™ tires
Cognac Connolly® leather interior group
GTS
Avaliable with or without silver stripes
Optional Silver Center Stripes with Black
Optional Silver Center Stripes with Red
American Club Racer (ACR) Model introduced - spring 1999 introduction
Homologated for club racing
Smooth intake tubes and K&N air filters (Rated at 460 HP)
Special ACR Badging and decals
Black interior only
Racing harnesses with ACR Logo
18" BBS Wheels
Koni Adjustable Shocks
Different Springs
Delete Fog lights, Radio (and antenna booster) and A/C
Optional comfort group option
Add Radio (and antenna booster)
Add A/C

All
Lightweight cast pistons (commonly referred to as "cream puff Vipers")
Revised Camshaft
Child seat tether anchorage
Viper Steel Gray exterior color
GTS
Optional Silver Center Stripes with Viper Steel Gray
ACR
10 qt performance oil pan
Dynamic Suspensions adjustable monotube shock absorbers
New nameplate
Spring rates changed 500 lb/in F and 1100 lb/in R at midyear

All
Standard Four-Wheel Disc Anti-Lock Brakes
Molded Key Heads with Viper Logo
Viper Race Yellow - Black interior only for RT, GTS
Deep Sapphire Blue Pearl Coat Exterior
RT/10
Trunk Internal Emergency Release
GTS
Optional Black Center Stripes with Viper Race Yellow
Optional Silver Center Stripes with Deep Sapphire Blue Pearl
ACR
Optional Black Center Stripes with Viper Race Yellow
Optional Silver Center Stripes with Deep Sapphire Blue Pearl
Seat belt updates

All
Updated ABS This apparently was only a part number change
GTS/ACR
Final Edition announced. Last 300 cars to come in red with white stripes.

Previous body style discontinued.
Introduction of the SRT-10 and Competition Coupe.

Year Total Units
'92 285
'93 1043
'94 3083
'95 1577
'96 721
'96 GTS 1166
'97 RT/10 117
'97 GTS 1671
'98 RT/10 379
'98 GTS 837
'99 RT/10 549
'99 GTS 699
'99 ACR 215
'00 RT/10 840
'00 GTS/ACR 949
'00 ACR 218
'01 RT/10 874
'01 GTS/ACR 877
'01 ACR 227
'02 RT/10 545
'02 GTS/ACR 918
'02 ACR 159
'03 1875

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

"2002
All
Updated ABS This apparently was only a part number change
GTS/ACR
Final Edition announced. Last 300 cars to come in red with white stripes. "

Not to split hairs, but I thought the final 360 were FE's

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Head gaskets were a problem on all GEN1 engines (92-96) RT/10's. I think you should keep the DeLorean if it has that much sentimental value to you.
To nit-pick your wording in an effort to increase accuracy: Head gaskets were not a problem on "all GEN1 engines", they were, however, a *common* problem on the Gen 1 engines; about 30% of the people I know with Gen I's (among 30 or 40 cars) actually had problems or symptoms of the weeping head gasket, etc.

A more common problem was the thermostat housing gasket, which would have similar symptoms (coolant smell, etc) as the head gasket problem, but was a much cheaper fix.

OP
OP
N

NONO5.0

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Head gaskets were not a problem on "all GEN1 engines"

A more common problem was the thermostat housing gasket, which would have similar symptoms (coolant smell, etc) as the head gasket problem, but was a much cheaper fix.

BTW, I do all my own work on all my cars (did the whole engine/tranny swap myself) and I'm curious how much it would cost to fix these issues? I don't know of anyone around my area (Mobile, Al) who work on Vipers anywho. More than likely I'll just order the parts from supporting vendors and do the work myself.

I'm guessing regular maintence on Viper's are about the same or a little more than the Vette or am I wrong on this?

94RT10Ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Head gaskets were not a problem on "all GEN1 engines"

BTW, I do all my own work on all my cars (did the whole engine/tranny swap myself) and I'm curious how much it would cost to fix these issues? I don't know of anyone around my area (Mobile, Al) who work on Vipers anywho. More than likely I'll just order the parts from supporting vendors and do the work myself.

I'm guessing regular maintence on Viper's are about the same or a little more than the Vette or am I wrong on this?

I thought the same thing, head gaskets, no big deal. I will pickup a set and put them on, cheap project. Well the gaskets can run $600-$900! Crazy considering what they are made of.

ryan94rt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score

the cheepest i have seen head gaskets now is close to $900. if you buy one that needs gaskets give me a pm and i'll give you som info...i worked with another guy on this same issue and we found a set for just under $900!...just find a viper that has had this done!

here in ohio...every gen 1 in our club and that i have seen enough to talk too...has needed new head gaskets...so to say this is only a common problem is a little understatement!

OP
OP
N

NONO5.0

Enthusiast
Reaction score

:shocked: Good Lord! $900 for head gaskets??!?! I'm atleast guessing that they are good material and fix the problem. (or is this like a reoccuring issue?)

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

:shocked: Good Lord! $900 for head gaskets??!?! I'm atleast guessing that they are good material and fix the problem. (or is this like a reoccuring issue?)

The new MLS gaskets fix the problem. If you let a Viper tech do it, expect about $1000 in labor (10 hour job * $100/hour). If you can, find a car that has already had this repair. Many were done under warranty

Also, for $900 you get the whole upper engine gasket kit, not just the headgaskets.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GreatWhiteKAC