Need some advice

sctdev

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My 2006 Viper, purchased in November 2007, has an issue where the batter dies if the car sits for 2 or 3 days. I've taken it in for service 3 or 4 times and the dealer tells me that is normal and I have to keep it on a battery tender. I must look stupid or something. Is there anyone else I should contact before consulting a lawyer about using the lemon law? Maybe a regional service manager or something?

David

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 2006 Viper, purchased in November 2007, has an issue where the batter dies if the car sits for 2 or 3 days. I've taken it in for service 3 or 4 times and the dealer tells me that is normal and I have to keep it on a battery tender. I must look stupid or something. Is there anyone else I should contact before consulting a lawyer about using the lemon law? Maybe a regional service manager or something?

David

Assuming it's the original battery, there's little doubt that it's beyond it's useful life. Buy a new battery.

However, a good working battery should NOT loose it's charge in 2-3 days. No way. Assuming the car's not sitting out in 10 degree weather, it should last a good month or so without a charge.

Another however, you should check to see that:
  1. The battery is getting sufficient charging voltage when your car is driven and
  2. There's no excessive drain on the battery while the car is off.
The previous tests are simple and can be checked wherever you buy your new battery (or by yourself with a voltage meter). Hope that helps.

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had this same problem when I first got my car. Did a lot of research on this board and it seems like it is not an uncommon problem. Most just said to get a trickle charger. Some said there must be a power drain somewhere. I think the later people were correct because I had a little body work done on the car and viola, the battery problem disappeared. I guess there was a loose wire or something. There's a procedure in the viper repair manual to check for ignition off power draw. You might want to get that checked out.

TheMilkman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same problem with my '08 for a while. The battery would charge up fine when driven, but a day or 2 later it was dead. After a few months even using a trickle charger was not keeping the battery charged, so I got a new battery. I did notice that the battery still seemed to drain a bit quick.

What I noticed is that the trickle charger would have the car charged up, then the light for the alarm would flash and the trickle would kick off for a second or 2, rinse and repeat.

So if you are parking you car for a few days either disconnect the alarm light or follow the procedure to put the car into parking sleep. I just unplugged the alarm light at the rear-view mirror. the alarm is still active, just no blinking red light draining my battery all day. Since doing this I have had zero battery issues.

V

Venomiss

David
First get the battery checked. Hope that replacing it does the trick for you.
Since you have had the Viper this long we hope you would consider joining the VCA.:)

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just unplugged the alarm light at the rear-view mirror. the alarm is still active, just no blinking red light draining my battery all day

I hate to "jinx" myself, but my 2003 sits up to a couple weeks at a time, and so far (knock wood), everything has been OK. I bought the car 4 months ago (it has 24,000+ miles0, and don't know how old the battery is (I am the 3rd owner). I have no access to electricty where the car is garaged, and so I can't use a trickle charger.

I have been concerned about that flashing red alarm light. Where behind the mirror do I unplug it? Do I have to take the mirror apart?

As for the original poster, no modern vehicle with a newer battery should discharge that fast, so there is someother issue going on.

Thanks.

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The dealer is smokin ****.Ive had my car sit for weeks on end, no issue at all. There something draing your battery. Take a voltage reading on it.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
both my vipers have sat for at least a month and still had a turn key and start battery

OP
OP
S

sctdev

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The battery has been changed two or three times since this first started. It did not start this behavior until I had had the car for almost a year. I'll check out the "parking sleep" thing.

I know how to diagnose a current draw. I just don't think I should have to do it. The advice I wanted is how to get the Dodge dealership to admit there is a problem. My warranty expires in October ...

Phun70

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Do a parasitic draw test. Hook up a DVOM in line with the negative battery cable. Disconnect the negative cable and put the meter in between it and the battery. The reading on the DVOM is the live draw reading, close the doors, pull the key and wait at bit for the computers to go to "sleep", then if you still have a high draw, start pulling fuses till the draw goes away, check the items protected by that fuse and you should find the offending part. Replace it, and all should be right with the world.

ledfoot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Had the same problem with my 05......turns out the previous owner had poorly wired a Lo-Jack system............Good Luck

lh4x4

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have an 06 with the original battery. It is plugged into a tender from the time that it enters the garage until it goes out again.

Your lemon law comment was ridiculous. Not even remotely applicable. Load test the battery. If it fails get a new one. You have spent entirely too much time already on an easy fix.

viperbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a Porsche with the same problem. The dealer replaced the battery 3 times under warranty, even though I told them it was not the battery...it took me getting in contact with Porsche Cars of North America to finally get it resolved. Anyway, it turns out that it was the radio causing the problem - even though it was turned off it was still drawing current thus running down the battery.

So, as others have said, you most likely have a similair problem. IMO, a battery tender can extend the life of a battery (when all else is well) but other than that it is not a solution for a problem!

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Phun70 said it best.

However if you don't have a DVOM, why not just pull a few different fuses everytime you park it until the problem goes away? The Voltmeter should show a voltage drop in a day if the Battery drains within 2 days.

I assume that you've tested the alarm system (on and off) and are certain that's not the problem?

Ted

OP
OP
S

sctdev

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks everyone who tried to help. LH4x4 must work at my dealer and responds without reading anything first. What part of the battery has been replaced 3 times did you not understand? Being treated like an idiot by the dealership is my whole issue with this. I don't need that here too. BTW, Lemon Law does apply if the dealership can't resolve a problem in three tries. Very simple stuff.

Yes I have a DVOM. I make flash tuners for a living so I'm pretty good with electronics and vehicle electrical systems. I simply hate tracking down shorts or excess current draw by pulling fuses, but I guess I'll have to. That should be done by my dealership, not me. I'm betting on the body control module but the dealership won't replace it just because I asked them too.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As others have said there must be a short or something causing a battery drain. The cars can sit for weeks at a time without a tender. Mine do. I have an 06 and an 08. Also used to have an 03 that still had the original battery 6 years later when I traded it. Always started just fine. Find another dealer that knows what they are doing.

Re the Lemon Law. Not sure where you live but here in MA the Lemon Law only applies during the first 12 months of ownership of a newly purchased vehicle. Vehicle must be out of service for 30 days for the same problem in the first 12 months or must be in for service on the same defect for 3 times. The manufacturer then has an additional 7 days to effect repairs. The defect must also be significant or one that effects safety. It would not be considered a lemon here if it was for something minor. I know this because I did sue Saleen and Ford under our state's Lemon Law and I can tell you it is a pain in the a$$. In my case I had a passenger air bag light that would come on even when someone was sitting in the seat, a bad shutter in the steering over 40mph, and a computer problem that would cause the car to stall on deceleration. The later problem caused the car to be out of service for more than a month while it sat at the dealer.

Good luck.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Friends are great. You could swap BCMs with another car similar to yours and find out if that's the problem. Yes since the Dealer doesn't seem to think it's a problem they should be happy to swap out parts from a new Viper in their lot?

I experienced a few mechanics telling me that they wouldn't do a trans oil check on my car because "they would be removing all the threads with the plug (it was a little stiff) and then they would be libel to replace the transmission," and on and on. Complete retards - mechanics being lawyers. I pulled up on the curb in front of their main doors and did the oil level check myself. Also informed many of their customers that I was in dress clothes because the Cdn Tire mechanics refused to check my trans oil so I was doing it myself. I'm sure that little episode cost them a few mechanical customers.

Maybe use a felt pen and write a sign about the Dealership's mechanics refusing to do "mechanicing" and that's why you parked in their driveway to do your mechanicing and you wished to teach the dealership's mechanics how to work??? Tell the dealer that you'll be calling the local newspapers so they can come take pics of you and your sign.

That should work if you show them your sign...

Ted

Flying Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an 06 with the original battery. It is plugged into a tender from the time that it enters the garage until it goes out again.

Your lemon law comment was ridiculous. Not even remotely applicable. Load test the battery. If it fails get a new one. You have spent entirely too much time already on an easy fix.

+1
Very Ridiculous

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The battery has been changed two or three times since this first started.

I know how to diagnose a current draw. I just don't think I should have to do it. The advice I wanted is how to get the Dodge dealership to admit there is a problem.

Says Battery has been changed 2 or 3 times ...

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had the same problem with my 99 rt10...turned out a new battery did the trick...never had the problem with my 03 srt10....currently haveing the problem with my nsx...i have yraced it to the amplifier in the trunk still getting power when the car is off

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32