Need some help with a lift

Rheeder218

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Has anyone ever put a hoist in their garage that took the car down to the basement for storage? My parents are building a house and would like to put a hoist in the garage to lower the car down to the basement. They would like the floor level with the hoist platform, so that when the hoist is not in use there is still a floor there. Could someone point me in the right direction. Looking for a hoist that can travel 8ft as well/ Thanks

DrDJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you sure that they won't have a more reasonable cost for a new construction home? Also, the vast majority of gargages don't have a basement underneath them, so expect extra costs there. I love the concept, but it sounds it's going to be more economical to build a larger garage.

DrDJ

fastmd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In my previous house, I thought of the same thing. But, ended up having the drive way slope down and under, which allowed me to drive into the basement for storage. Ventilation is key don't forget.

KERS-VPR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If your building a new house, put a garage door in the basement and remove the dirt for a driveway into it.

OP
OP
R

Rheeder218

Viper Owner
Reaction score
THe problem with the drive in is were kinda limited to space, plus were on the water. Theres already a four car garage, but we thought it would be nice to just put the car in the basement during the winter to make room for other toys in the garage.

OP
OP
R

Rheeder218

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Are you sure that they won't have a more reasonable cost for a new construction home? Also, the vast majority of gargages don't have a basement underneath them, so expect extra costs there. I love the concept, but it sounds it's going to be more economical to build a larger garage.

DrDJ

As for being less with new construction, they said it didnt matter.

past ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have heard of people doing these, BUT my biggest concern if they are allowed by state codes ?? I would think that there would be a lot of concern about, fumes coming from any/all exhaust PLUS putting a big gas can ( remember the vehicle's fuel tank) is now down with any fumes and ignition from either a furnace or water heater, what if you fill the gas tank and lower it while the air outside is cold, then the tank expands because internal temp is warmer and the tank overflows or drips onto the floor and also any gas smells in the house....maybe I am very incorrect in my questions, but !!!!????

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I looked into this when I built my house. My town has no codes relating to underground storage of a vehicle or an underground lift in a residential setting. But tons of codes for commercial settings. I found that very odd. I ended up just adding another bay to the garage.

OP
OP
R

Rheeder218

Viper Owner
Reaction score
yeah we thought about the ventalation too. I have seen people with dirt bikes and all that good stuff down in their basements and never had a problem. This basement is also going to serve and a work area for working on my jet skis. I am a pro watercraft racer so im either building or working a jet everyday. So the hoist will be nice to lower the jet ski in to the basement

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cookviper