Need some input! I have to make a decision this week!

CalmRon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’ve been following this board for over a year and told myself I wouldn’t join until I purchased my Viper. Well, I’m not quite there but I need your help now.

I am finally close to making a purchase. I found a 2001 RT/10, 5k miles, hard/soft top, for $55k. It is a second owner and while in pretty good shape, it has more wear than (imho) a 2001 should have. Nothing major, just some scratches under the fascia, a small scratch on the fender, a scuff on a rim, and a small, repaired tear in the seat. It has side exhaust and the current owner (who has done nothing to the car) says that he was told that the first owner also put in a new computer chip and “did something to increase the output of the fuel injectors.” Nothing else appears to be modified, no smooth tubes, etc.

Questions

(1) It seems a little strange to me that someone would do work to the fuel injectors but nothing else and I haven’t seen too much talk here about swapping chips. This guy didn’t seem to know much about cars so do you think he is just confused?

(2) From what I have seen, this seems like a good price. What do you all think?

(3) How concerned should I be about the wear and tear? From a personal standpoint, I am not “that” concerned about the car being perfect. While this is a huge move financially for me and the Viper is my dream car, I don’t plan to keep it locked away and a few scratches are going to happen. I AM concerned about how it affects value and more generally if I should be concerned about how well the car has been taken care of?

(4) I am having a Viper Tech do an inspection later this week and I plan to stop by to take a look at the underside myself and talk to the tech. Anything I should have him look for or ask him about outside of the regular checkup?

Thanks in advance for your help. If all goes well I will be posting some pics in about a week!

Reaction score
1. Also have a local VCA member check this car out for along with a Viper Tech.

2. Price seems to be in line but maybe alittle hight for the wear and tear. Hard to believe the damage you describe has been done with only 5k on it. There is a 01' Race Yellow RT in Nashville that the owner is asking 52k for. This car has 8k on it and is PERFECT in everyway possible!

Good luck

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Side pipes and a computer chip are the only mods? Very weird. You are doing the right thing by having a viper tech look at any viper you might buy.

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like that Viper has been abused. Not a good sign when you're looking to purchase it. Why not just wait until something better comes along? You can't be that pressed for time if you've already waited so long, right?

You must be registered for see images

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Offer $50k and tell him to call you when he's ready. If he won't take it and he finds someone else that will pay $55, then you will know what effect the wear and tear had on the value.
There was someone on the board yesterday, who said he did a bunch of side pipe conversions. Perhaps this is one. Do a search.
Any fairly new car that has been modified like this, side pipes, or a wing, or custom paint, should be worth a little less.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Just an FYI- My local dealer has a red 02 RT/10 with 1K miles on it comming in soon. Approx 60K is the price.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A 01 with two owners already? And what’s the deal with the injectors? There may be nothing wrong with it but I’d like to know the owners.

Ron, come to MOSI in Tampa at 9am to 2pm Saturday. They’re doing an expo on speed and Vipers are the marquee. You’ll be able to talk to some owners.

Vipers are encouraged to come so anyone else that can make it please do. We have our own special parking section in front.

OP
OP
C

CalmRon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That MOSI expo sounds like fun, I will try to make it. I think I am going to put off the inspection until next week to give me time to do some more homework. I don't want to spend $200 on an inspection if I'm not sure its the car I want.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine