Need Suggestions Please

Scott J

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As BSchillinger has eluded, you'll get mixed responses when it comes to using the Viper as a daily driver. I wouldn't use mine for every day driving, but then again, I sit in one of the top 10 worst commutes in the nation according to USA Today. My daily driver is a coupe with an automatic tranny and it has kept my sanity intact when rush hour traffic grinds to a stand-still.

Check out the classified section on this site for prevailing prices!

The M3 is a nice looking car, but the Viper satisfies my performance cravings. My vote for a daily driver would lean towards the Jaguar XK8 - assembled in England, but American-owned.

Richard K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree with everything Bryan said. Many do drive it daily depending on the climate... conditions here in Michigan require a second snow friendly vehicle. It also might be somewhat questionable in a wet climate, and I think you folks due get a good amount of rain out there.

CAP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the other hand..... My '96 was a daily driver and now so is my '01. I bought them to drive and so I do. But that's me.

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SeattleM3,
I live down down in Portland and have been driving my new '01 GTS as a daily driver for the last 3 months and it has just rained here 34 days straight. It has done great, but I have an easy commute without a lot of traffic and good roads. I would not want to have to drive it in a lot of stop and go traffic as it has a rather heavy clutch. The ABS available on the '01 and newer Vipers is a nice to have on a daily driver as are the newer Pilot Sport tires being put on the newer vipers. A GTS would also be mandatory in my opinion in rain country like Seattle for a daily driver. Hydroplaning would be a concern in Seattle with the huge tires on the Viper if you hit standing water very fast. Aother thing that hinders a Viper during daily use is its low ground clearance (5") and long nose which are incompatible with some driveways, speedbumps, etc. The wide tires also tend to like to follow all the rain grooves. Although it is a comfortable car in my opinion, it can be somewhat tiring to drive since you have to pay attention to your driving more than with most cars. Also expect to get about 9-11MPG in traffic.

To sum it up, while a Viper can certainly be used as a daily driver (especially if you live someplace like FL), I think only a genuine enthusiast will be happy doing so and going from an M3 to a Viper would be a very big jump if you do not have previous experience with a Viper.

--- Ken
'01 GTS

NCVCA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Search for "Viper Days" on this board and you will find many threads about how much fun and how helpful it was in making people more familiar and safer in thier Vipers.

Best of Luck in your Viper quest,

Jeff

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JMcGuire:
we're trying to figure out how to buy at least one, and probably two more Vipers -- and I suspect I would never say that about an M5.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jon, getting very close to the point of no return.
smile.gif

Apparently the early years had horrible tires that were outright dangerous in the rain. The stigma carried over into later years and provided a convenient excuse for accidents in the GenII Vipers. I have no problems in the rain and both of my Vipers are GenII with MXX3s.