Need to quite down a 522CID motor

KEast

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just completed a build on a 522 CID viper and am not happy with the current exhaust note (volume).

I initially went with a set of B&B Headers and full 3" Exhaust with crossovers. The sound was good, but the heat in the side seals literally started to cook the paint and the fit was quite bad. I decided the quality of the B&B was not what I expect from a product so I moved to a different setup.

I am now running Bellanger headers with ceramic Hi-flo cats and 3" corsa track exhaust with vortex cones. At idle the car turns the head of every person in the cars around me and under hard acceleration it is brutal. My wife hates it and I'm not sure I am that far behind her.

I'm looking for suggestions on what different options I have assuming I keep the Bellanger and Hi-Flow cats and focus on a cat back capable of reducing the sheer decibel level.

If I cant find a way to cut the volume down some I may actually look to sell the stroker motor and return to a stock engine. If anyone is considering stroking a low mileage 06 and would possibly be interested in a motor swap shoot me a PM and I can provide details on this build. It was built by Port Pros in Austin (Port Pros Competition Cylinder Heads and Racing Engines) and runs perfectly.

Thanks in advance,
KEast

steponz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would try multiple combos of cats and exhausts.. Maybe the 2.5 inch instead of 3 corsa...

Too bad I have a 2005.... I would trade you.

Joe

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have headers, no cats and Corsa. It is very loud. But I love it. You wont quite it down much , even a stock car with only headers and exhaust is loud. Your only option is to put a restrictive muffler on like stock, maybe even put stock exhaust manifolds back on.
My fix would be to buy the wife a set of Bose noise cancelling headphones, like you use in a airplane. She wont hear a thing, problem solved. :D

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOUD?? What's the problem-o??? :dunno: :D The louder the better...tho we DO get black-flagged off the track...but we don't track anyway, only certain VCA events, which is what? Once a year for us? Streeting it is fine...we have B&B ceramic coated headers, Corsa Track Cat-Back Exhaust, hi-flow cats...and absolutely LOVE the sound...it vibrates the whole house when started up!! To each their own though...good luck with reducing the noise level if that's truly what you want to do. ~juli

steponz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You would have to mod.. But you could put the stock cats back on...
The hi-flows tend to be quite a bit louder... Most likely still too loud for you though...
If you really want to lower it.. I would probably replace the headers with the stock manifolds, cats, and exhaust...
I think that would probably be your best move...
Might cause some tuning issues though..

I personally like it loud.. Kind of adds the venom in viper... :)

Joe

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't give up on the stroker motor. I don't think the displacement is the primary cause of excessive noise.

steponz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even though I really want the motor I totally agree with FE 065...
The exhaust is your problem...

Joe

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not that familiar with Gen 3s, but I know the crossover is blamed for radiating heat into the cabin. A shame, because the extra length might leave room for additional muffling capability, compared to the limited amount of space under a sidesill to fit everything. Seems like the heat radiation from the crossover part could be conquered one way or the other.

Maybe go back to what you had before but keeping your new headers, and work on preventing heat from searing your sills with wrap, metal shielding, or just plain old insulation.

And/or take look at your present muffler OD and see if there's room under the sills for a larger OD muffler that has more packing in it. Gen2s will accept a muffler as large as 6.125"OD, but I've heard Gen3s have a little less space under the sills.

Mufflers with a 3" core don't leave much room for packing-you need all the muffler OD (and length) you can fit under the sill to quiet things. Even it means massaging an area of the large muffler to get it to clear something.

Last edited:

fqberful

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not that familiar with Gen 3s, but I know the crossover is blamed for radiating heat into the cabin. A shame, because the extra length might leave room for additional muffling capability, compared to the limited amount of space under a sidesill to fit everything. Seems like the heat radiation from the crossover part could be conquered one way or the other.

Maybe go back to what you had before but keeping your new headers, and work on preventing heat from searing your sills with wrap, metal shielding, or just plain old insulation.

And/or take look at your present muffler OD and see if there's room under the sills for a larger OD muffler that has more packing in it. Gen2s will accept a muffler as large as 6.125"OD, but I've heard Gen3s have a little less space under the sills.

Mufflers with a 3" core don't leave much room for packing-you need all the muffler OD (and length) you can fit under the sill to quiet things. Even it means massaging an area of the large muffler to get it to clear something.

I have a Gen III [ '06 coupe ] that I went catless and used the MOPAR Perf exhaust. While it is 3" inlet the muffler is actually a lot longer than stock and has 4 tubes inside the body instead of one big one. The fit is very good. This system is made by Borla and has packing that doesn't burn out so easily. The noise isn't much more than bone stock -- seriously. Going catless and dropping the cross overs totally removes all the heat in the foot well and cabin, and the side sills run cool which makes my poor short wife very happy. I'm going to do a set of M&M headers as soon as Matt gets them to me, I'll let you know if it makes much if any difference noise wise. As much as I'd love to talk to you about trading V10's I think you can work with the exhaust and fix your problem. The MOPAR part # is P4510176 .. Be warned though, on an '06 I had an issue with the flange that mates to the exhaust manifold, ended up cutting the flanges off the cat pipes and welding onto the supplied head pipes from the kit -- this would only be an issue if you try and use the stock manifolds. At highway cruising speeds I made a significant noise reduction by going to 3.55 gears. The explanation is simple but probably OT for this thread. Good luck!

--Ed

Last edited:

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I would try multiple combos of cats and exhausts.. Maybe the 2.5 inch instead of 3 corsa...

Too bad I have a 2005.... I would trade you.

Joe

You can swap an 05 into an 06 without any issue at all- Identical.

I can even make him wiring harnesses to bolt an 03/04 engine into an 05/06 or vice versa- my 2004 technically has a 2006 engine in it.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
KEast,

This excessive noise issue is an old one for our cars.

I have the B & B stepped headers, high flow cats and full 3-inch exhaust on my 2004 beast. It's true that the fit was difficult and took some time and work to get correct. It's now correct and the car is reasonably quiet, even making 925 rwhp with a Paxton and 530 ci.

I did buy some insulation from ATP wrap and place it on top of the cross overs. This makes a very big difference in interior heat. I don't have much in the way of sill heat either. You can rest you bare leg on them after driving without getting burned. You many not want to hear this, but installed correctly this system is probably your quietest and coolest option.

On my SRTC, I have Belangers with their high flow cats. I tried going directly out the side but this was too loud for me. I put the OE cross overs back on and it's quiet enough now. This would help you too. I haven't insulated the cross overs yet and it's a bit warm in this car during extended runs in stop and go traffic during the summer.

I don't know of a muffler that will fit into our side sills and quiet our engines - with headers and high flow cats & side exit - sufficiently for me. I wish someone could come up with one.

Good luck,

Dan

OP
OP
K

KEast

Enthusiast
Reaction score
547/565 with a conservative cam. It's only been dynod with the initial tune DC Performace provided. I have provided them the dyno sheet and will be working with them to tweak this some. There are a few spots where the fuel and possibly timing need to be tweaked.

Disturbed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
hehe...Mine is Bellinger's header, no cats and bellinger's RACE exhaust.

I've been told that when at idle it sounds like the Space Shuttle taking off :D

Honestly the best you can do is add a extra set of HF cats. You will loose some power though.

I too have a small cam, but less ci....we make about the same power It must be due to my CR of 11.6:1 My last dyno was 565rwhp / 610rwtq...that was before the last little bit of mods.