Need to replace 11 year old tires NOW and membership question

Finsfan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok guy's I'm in serous need of some new rubber. I've been looking at two of our sponsor's sites, Tire Rack and Viper Parts of America. I'm currently considering the BF Goodrich g-Force 335/30 18" and 275/35 18" (Stock Rims). I'm not a track ******, but do have a heavy foot at times :D. So, as a pure street tire what do you think if the BF Goodrich g-Force? How will it handle in the rain, because it rains a lot in Florida. Cost is also factor because I just bought and paid for the car a few months ago :(. I also noticed that the Viper Parts of America has a box for you to enter your Venom Membership number. Where can I look up my Venom membership id number? Right now they appear to be the front runner for price and because they have free shipping.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All of our tire vendors will steer you in the right direction. Do a search you should find some feedback on BFG's but PS2's are the best IMO. I have to imagine whether it's PS2's, BFG, Kumho's, etc. any of these will be night/day difference compared to the 11 year old tires you have.

Last edited:

daytonprowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wait and save your money and get the PS2's. I have a set of PS2's on my '93. Love them!!!

I have a set of the BF Goodrich G Force on my Shelby Mustang, they are CRAP. After about 10,000 miles, they sing so bad that even the radio can't drown them out. Can't wait to wear them out and get them off the car.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They seem to get excellent reviews elsewhere on the site:

http://forums.viperclub.org/tire-wh...date-thread-bfgoodrich-g-force-t-kdw-2-a.html

They put them on the factory Hurst Challengers (supercharged) and Bill P (a noted track ****** and Viper expert) said this about rain, "Have driven these tires at 130mph in the rain at Miller Motorsports Park and will vouch they are a great tire in the damp, and a very good compromise for good adhesion as well as very competent when weather conditions change."

Your Venom membership number is in your PM box and now on your private profile so you can look it up anytime. Thanks for supporting the club with your Venom upgrade and any additional support you might provide through Viper Parts of America - where 100% of the proceeds go back to the club.

97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had the BFGs put on about a month ago and absolutely LOVE them. I also replaced 11 year old tires and the difference was incredible.

$1,000 shipped to my door.

Ron

daytonprowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They seem to get excellent reviews elsewhere on the site:

http://forums.viperclub.org/tire-wh...date-thread-bfgoodrich-g-force-t-kdw-2-a.html

They put them on the factory Hurst Challengers (supercharged) and Bill P (a noted track ****** and Viper expert) said this about rain, "Have driven these tires at 130mph in the rain at Miller Motorsports Park and will vouch they are a great tire in the damp, and a very good compromise for good adhesion as well as very competent when weather conditions change."

Your Venom membership number is in your PM box and now on your private profile so you can look it up anytime. Thanks for supporting the club with your Venom membership and any additional support you might provide through Viper Parts of America - where 100% of the proceeds go back to the club.

They (BFG) do well on the track. I've tracked the Shelby twice at our club's BeaveRun event. I pushed the car to it's max and the tires do hold up well. My Shelby is a closed car and I just can't stand the noise on regular roads. You would swear the differential was going out.

Which ever tire you end up buying BFG or Michelin..... buy them from Viper Parts America.:2tu: All the proceeds go back to the VCA.:drive:

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you can do it go with the PS2's. Amazing tire. I just had a set put on my '01 and the difference is amazing!!!

daytonprowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had the BFGs put on about a month ago and absolutely LOVE them. I also replaced 11 year old tires and the difference was incredible.

$1,000 shipped to my door.

Ron

Mine were quiet as a church mouse until about 10,000 miles. Then they exponentially got worse. I will say they are good on the track. Hope yours stay quiet longer than mine did.

OP
OP
F

Finsfan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the link and the feed back. From what I've read the BF g-Force appears to be a good all purpose/weather tire. It also appears that the only major negative appears to be road noise. If you own a viper IMO you should be use to noise. So, I believe I'll give them a try. The PS2 also appear to have a really good re-pour with our members. However, tread wise it just appears to me that the BF tires may be able to cut through our wet roads better. Don't know if the a fact, just an opinion. Because, if you live anywhere near central Florida, you know that our mornings are filled with nothing but blue sky's, and in the afternoon all hell breaks loose and some of our local roads flood. So, I'll give them a try and hopefully, they will last long enough until at least two of the four kids graduate from collage in 2012 :)

daytonprowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the Viper you probably won't notice the tire noise. My Shelby being a closed car though.......

I just noticed your location. My second home is in Cocoa Beach. My condo is in the Conquistador on Ocean Beach Blvd, kind of caddy wompus behind Ron Jon's Surf Shop. I think I've seen your Viper around town before. There is a red Gen 3 that I see all the time parked on A1A in downtown Cocoa Beach near the German restaurant. One of the guys in my Prowler club lives in Cocoa. He has about 150,000 miles on his Prowler. I wish I lived down there year round and could put that kind of mileage on my Viper and Prowler.:)

Have you had any Viper service done at Boniface-Heirs on Merritt Island? They are always raffling off a classic Mopar of some kind for an Alzheimers charity.

OP
OP
F

Finsfan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WOW, what a small world. Boniface-Heirs performed my initial vehicle inspection before I bought my car and performed my first oil change. However, since then I have dealt primarily with Titusville Dodge. The viper tech in Titusville has been extremal helpful. You can basically hang out with the guy while he works on your car. None of the stay behind the door or line stuff. I like that, and the tech is always willing to answer any of your questions regarding mods and advice. He encourages you to work on your own car. What a concept :) Typically, every few months my wife and I drive the Viper over to the Cocoa Beach Surf Co. for lunch and park in the parking garage next to Ron Jon's. So, if your ever in town, that's where you will likely find me. One of my old co-works from my Shuttle days has a yellow and black RT. So, if you're ever in town send me a PM so we can hook up for lunch or dinner sometime. FYI, I don't know if it's the same car, but I did see a Red 2000 GTS for sale on the island last weekend right next to Boniface. If you every want to know why I stopped going to Boniface you'll have to PM me.

daytonprowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Cocoa Beach Surf Co./Sheraton parking garage backs right up to our tennis courts. I go over to the Starbucks and to see the shark swim in the tank. When the Sheraton was built my condo board had to OK them to build the parking garage. It ruined my view of the inner coastal, but that's OK I prefer my oceanview. Anyway, the one stipulation was that we could park our cars in the garage if bad weather came up. Last year I drove my Prowler down and a storm came up. The weather people had it down to the minute when it was going to hit. I got the Prowler in the parking garage on an inside wall. It hailed and the wind was at 90 MPH and it wasn't even a hurricane! It even blew out the windows at the Sunset Grille on 520.

I go to Titusville to see the Shuttle come in, and/or go to Dixie Crossroads.:D

The Viper I see parked is a red 2003 SRT10.

The next time I'm down there I would like to get together with some of the Florida Viper owners.

OP
OP
F

Finsfan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, my BFG g-Force tires arrived on Friday in what my wife and daughter described as a monsoon. It's amazing how much water these things can hold. Anyway had them installed on Saturday and had a chance to to test them out in heavy rain on the way home. I must admit that I'm vary impressed with how they handled in pouring rain on I95. One of a difference as compared to the 11 year old PS1's. I did take the car out later that afternoon to remove the tab's :)

First off I need to thank John, w/Viper Parts of America. The tires I received were still worm from the molding process. Excellent price and service.

My opinion thus far about the BFG g-Force tires.

1). Traction in wet conditions: Excellent!!! If you live in Florida you know how our highways are fill with ruts from trucks. These areas will quickly fill with water and can make driving a Viper in wet conditions a life changing event. These tires really cut through the water.
2). Traction in dry conditions: Good for tracking to Excellent for daily use. I like reaching the speed limit as quickly as possible, and occasionally have to remove my foot quickly because I have trouble remembering how to read speed limit signs from time to time. Dam short term memory.
3). Comfort: These tire greatly improved the ride in the cabin. I'm not sure if its simply because the tires are new or because the old tires were, well, old. But, the over all ride is now much smoother.
4). Noise: These are noisy buggers. I know that sounds strange coming from a Viper owner, but you can hear these things and it sounds a lot like a truck tire. I knew this when I bought them and expect them to get louder as they wear.

So, over all I have to say I'm really pleased and happy with the BFG's.

picture.php

Last edited:

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought my gen 1 from the original owner a few years ago with the original XGTs (I think they were 13-14 yrs old but..) still warm from the molds....or was it me roasting off what was left of the rock hard rubber.??? ha-ha..

New rubber is a good feeling. Mine wears PS2s now...

A1998

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How Ironic! Was in Cocoa Beach earlier this year visiting my cousin who lives there and happened to see the same Red 03 Srt parked downtown also! Sorry I didn't get to see your Viper Finsfan! You mentioned Shuttle buddy. My cousin is an engineer that has worked on the shuttle for years, Last Name, Williams. Small world!

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine were quiet as a church mouse until about 10,000 miles. Then they exponentially got worse. I will say they are good on the track. Hope yours stay quiet longer than mine did.

Those tires were OE on the Caliber RT's in 2007 and 2008. Handled great, and were quiet for the first year, then the noise from the tires was horrible. I was dumb enough to think that my alignment was bad, and bought a second set. No difference.

I will never buy them again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21