Need Viper washing tips

MOUNTAINWOLF

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Time to wash the GTS for the 1st time. Have all the goodies (zaino car wash, good towels, leaf blower, z2,z5,z6), my question is; do I need to keep water out of any areas on the car like hood scoop, louvers, grills (terminology?). Seems like there are alot of areas that water maybe should not go or would be hard to dry.

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't worry about water going into the hood louvers or even a little going into the front air scoop. (I wouldn't stand in front and squirt water directly into the front scoop for any length of time; however, rinsing the hood and the scoop is not going to hurt anything. If your car has a modified airbox, you might need to be a little more careful. The stock airbox is designed to prevent water getting into the intake.) The leaf blower will remove any water from the exterior cracks and crevices. After washing and drying the exterior, you'll probably want to open the hood and dry off any water you see.

The only downside to this is that there is a screw on top of the heating system (right side of engine) that could eventually rust and will be very visible. No big deal, it's easily replaced.

You'll also probably notice that the side mirrors seem to hold water forever. You can minimize this by folding them in and using the leaf blower to blow out the cavity.

Tom Shapiro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I got this tip from Sal Zaino. Use 2 buckets when you wash your car. One with soapy water, the other with clear rinse water. After you wash a section of your car ring out the rag and rinse in the clear water. Then back into the soapy bucket. It helps keep dirt and grit out of the wash soap reducing the risk of scratching your finish. Change the rinse water when it starts to get dirty.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MoutainWolf, I hope you are joining the Ga. VCA. Check this site out: http://autopia.ws/index.php as recommended by someone else on this site. One good tip I learned there is after you are through washing (if like me you use a spray nozzle) take the nozzle off and just run water out of the hose...no spray...it will reduce the amount of water left by about half.

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe I have to get out in my Viper more, but thinking back I can not recall ever washing the car and then driving it in the same day.

After a day of dry time she is ready for action minus all the water oozing out various spots out the car.

To save some face I usually wash the car after driving it for the day, brake dust drives me insane.

Good tip on waxing the rims, I load them up as well.

take care,

2BADD 4U

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great advice on this post, I do not have a leaf blower, so I take it that most Viper owners do not use towels to dry their cars? I never used a leaf blower , but if it saves the finish, I am all for it!
wink.gif

Best,Dave

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Always rinse the car first, to get most of the grit off the paint. That way, you are only rubbing the wash cloth over the body surface with an absolute minimum of potential abrasive grit on it.

The side sill covers in my GTS seem to drip water for a couple of hours, despite my blowing that area out with the leaf blower.

Did you ever blow dry one area of the car, and then when you move the blower over onto another area, it splashes water back onto the dry area?

Start with the areas that hold a lot of water- mirrors, fender grills, windshield wipers, etc. Get those areas blown out first, then do the whole car. You'll spend less time going back over the same areas twice.

Motorcycle shops sell a plastic cleaner/protectant called Plexus. Its great for your headlight covers. Spray it on a rag, then coat the lens, to avoid overspray onto the paint. (It won't hurt the paint, but it shows up as a smear, and you have to buff it out.) It not only cleans, but it fills light scratches, and helps protect the surface from further scratches. Makes the surface shine like new.

Put a good coat of wax on your rims. Then when you take the brake dust off with a few shakes of a dedicated car duster, the brake dust will come off easily and quickly, and the brake dust won't abrade the chrome finish. (Credit- JonB)

VIPER1996

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is a tip!! I use a pressurized bug spayer canister with car wash soap and water mixed in. I rinse the car with water first and then spray the car with the soapy water. Let soak a minute and then rinse again. Then I wash with a mit and then the final rinse. I haven't tried the leaf blower??? wouldn't that stir up a lot of dust?????

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 97 GTS seems to weep water from the mirrors and doors for a day or so after washing it. I tried the 210 MPH leaf blower which worked ok but stirred up a lot of dust which ended up on the wet car. The air compressor works well for getting rid of excess water from the car. I also fold the mirrors and use the air hose to blow out water pooled up inside there and the "speaker grills" on the hood. Then I dry off the car with a Micro Fiber towel from Griot's . The micro fiber towel is better then any chamois I've ever tried. Finish it all off with Zaino Z6 for the paint and Z16 for the tires.
cool.gif

PS: Remember to have some cold ones on ice to enjoy during this whole process.

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
How do I wash my car?? The old fashion way...water and soap with elbow grease. Sounds simple huh? I always get a kick out of these post on how to wash cars. Not flaming just having fun!
laugh.gif

Vreracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh no.

It looks like I have the dreaded rusty screw from using too much water.

You must be registered for see images

My biggest problem is washing out the area behind the wheel where the hood closes.

Normally this area is just sparkling clean but I left it dirty just for effect.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>

[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
laugh.gif
I HATE that area! I swear I opened the hood once to find the remnants of a half eaten ham sandwich (looked like peppered ham) had scrunched it's way into there! If not some delicacy...there's always a family of pebbles that seem to reproduce like rabbits living there.

BTW- Does anyone else find that water always accumulates under the driver's side hood "speaker" grill?
pissed.gif
It seems to me that there should be a small drain hole there to empty the depressed area.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
City, If you look underneath the hood in that area, you will see I think just one drain hole. But if the car is not at the right angle, it won't drain anyhow.

As much as I love my Viper, I have to admit its one of the hardest cars to dry and then wax. If there is any water remaining, it gets in the way of waxing. Its almost like you have wash it one day, and wax it the next, because there are so many little crevices holding water.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I use the Chris Marshall method, as we have both been accused of being full of hot air. Using the Marchall- Pemberton Plan ( yes,play on words for old Snake owners, intended ) stand in front of your Viper and talk incessantly. It takes Chris longer to do this , because he is a young man,whereas as an Old Fart I can send streams of warm air from both ends.

PS - Ifen this don't be a-werkin, use 100% cotton towels per Zal's instructions.

OP
OP
M

MOUNTAINWOLF

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Been using a leaf blower for about a year to dry cars, works great. Some people say to buy an electric, I use a gas Echo. If you use a gas model, be sure it does not exhaust through the blower tube. My Echo has an exhaust at the engine, the other type will blow tiny specs of oil onto the car. Leaf blower will greatly reduce drying time, you can also find me walking around my roof this time of year, blowing leaves out of the gutters (no electric cord dragging behind me) that's why I like the gas model.

96 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get a boar's hair brush from Griot's Garage. It will not scratch the surface like mits, sponges, nylon brushes, rags, etc. I use a Wet Blade to remove about 90% of the water in less than 5 minutes, then I finish with an electric leaf blower. One last hint - be sure to rinse with soft water. If you wash @ home, you can use a self-contained water softener on your hose like they use at boat marinas. Never have water spots again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
userSRTbro_