Need Your Detailing Opinions

silverz06vette

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I presume you are stating 1st hand facts not word round the campfire. I invite you over to see my hood and the clear that is burnt in a place about 1'x1". Noob mistake using a 6.5in yellow pad and an aggressive compound via porter cable. I should re state burn CC, don't know about paint as I didn't get that far :)

I'm not debating rotary to ROB, not even in the same ball park. Rotary will straight strip paint down to the base material.

It would be safe to say that an ROB is a very useful tool in anyone's arsenal. I have stated this before. Please GOOGLE Kevin Brown Method if you don't think a PC can remove RIDS and swirls. I actually saved everyone the work.

Presidential Detailed: Can you say Kevin Brown Method? - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum

Actually he used a rotary via a different Kevin Brown Method. Which worked very well...

Please do google Kevin Brown Method. Read, read and read more.

After using a rotary for 3 years, I have not picked one up (except to spin dry pads.)

All of my corrections over the past year have been down with the Kevin Brown Method using a PC, M105 and either LC flat orange pads or the surbuf pads.

The following is my short explaination of the KBM w a orange pad.

Prime the entire face of the clean/dry flat orange pad, ensure you have polish in every pore.

Apply 3-4 dots of M105 to the pad.

Apply enough pressure at speed 6 so that the pad is still spinning, but slowly. Ensure that the pad is spinning and not stopped.

Wipe the M105 from the surface with a MF and inspect the area. If the M105 become difficult to remove from the surface wipe it away with straight IPA.

After each use wipe the pad accross a MF to clean the pad. Then apply 4 more dots of polish and repeat.

After a few uses brush the pad clean and blow compressed air to clean out the dust. You will still see residual polish on the pad.

After so many uses the pad will loose its cut as its just clogged with too much polish and clear from the surface.

Clean the pad by spraying APC 1:4 onto the pad and wash it w/ warm water in the sink. Make sure you get all the soap and polish rinsed out. Spin the pad out into a bucket with your PC or a rotary if you have one. Let the pad air dry fully by placing it in from of a fan.

Of course you will need more then a few pads to complete this process.

Prime a fresh pad and start again.

If you have any 4" orange pads and the proper backing plate, use the above method to spot polish those deeper scratches.

Follow with M205 and a white or gray flat pad using the same process as above, you will not have to work the areas as long. If you don't have M205 use a finish polish with a white pad.

KBM via Surbuf pad:

This process can be messy.

7" surbuf pad.
6" BP
PC or XPPC
Straight IPA

1. Do not prime the surbuf pad.
2. Apply 4 "larger then pea sized" dots of M105 to the pad.
3. Work the polish into an 12x12" area without turning on your PC.
4. Spritz the surface with water.
5. As in step 3, again work the polish around without turning on your PC, you are looking for a milky consistency.
6. Turn on PC and work the polish till it appears to dry.
7. Spritz more water onto the suface and continue to polish. What this does is bring the polish out of the pad and back to the surface.
8. I have found that you will need IPA sprayed onto your MF to remove the M105 from the surface.
9. Inspect and repeat if needed.

Notes:
If you find that one time is not enough to remove defects, you can always repeat #7 and keep on polishing.

After 2-3 sections, you will need to clean the pad by brushing off the pad and blowing out the excess polish with compressed air. After the pad becomes overly saturated w/ polish clean with warn water and some APC. Spin to dry. The pad does not have to be totally dry to use it again.

I have removed severe defects and 2000 grit wetsanding marks with this method.

Depedning on the hardness of the clear, you "might" be able to go right to M205 with a gray finishing pad via the KBM. Sometimes a middle step with M105/orange pad via KBM is required.

IMO this method will level paint as good as a rotary.

Here are some 50:50 shots of the corrects I have done using the above methods with a PC:

Lexus LS460l:

You must be registered for see images

AMG S65 w/ the hard ceramiclear:

Range Rover sport:

Infiniti M35:

Lexus SC430: