Need your diagnosis help!!

Bratatatat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 2001 GTS with 15,000 miles. I recently had some mods successfully installed (belanger, random-tech, corsa) and since the mods have put on around 1,200 miles. So far so good .... BUT...

I went to go for a casual drive this morning and when I started my baby this morning I noticed a different sound coming from the engine (passenger side).

It's hard to describe ... so, I took a quick video/sound-clip of it.

http://rapidshare.de/files/6328867/2005-10-15_002.AVI.html
(click on this link, then click the free button, it will count-down and then allow you to right-click and save-as ... it's around 9mb)

I realize it's tough to diagnose from a video/sound, but I would VERY much appreciate anyones opinion on what the trouble may be.

p.s. I have made an appointment to have it checked out on Monday, however this is killing me!

Thanks in advance!

Mr Hemi Head

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like a exhaust leak at the header flange. Did you use the paper header gaskets that are supplied with the Belangers? After a few hundred miles did you re-torque the header bolts?

Doesn't sound like a major problem but a PITA to change the gasket, especially on the passanger side. It has been posted that MOPAR metal gaskets are a better choice. Rick

OP
OP
B

Bratatatat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Mr. Hemi Head. I hope it is just a gasket problem.

To answer your questions ... Yes, I believe my installer used the gaskets supplied with the Belangers. No, I did not have the header bolts re-torqued.

Okay ... I'm breathing again.

Mr Hemi Head

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kevin there have been many posts about Belanger headers and gasket failures. When the headers are installed the flex pipe is removed. Engine movement is then transfered to the entire exhaust system.

Have the mechanic check the drivers side header bolts. Let us know the outcome. Rick

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are two issues, the one that has been addressed, the crapy Balenger header-to-exhaust port gasket, and the collector to turn-out mating surfaces. They claim that the collector does not need a gasket, I couldn't get mine to seal without a leak. It is so simple, all the wholesale mail-order houses have the three inch copper gasket for the collector.

OP
OP
B

Bratatatat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That was it! I had the crapy paper gaskets replaced with the MOPAR metal gaskets.

All is well again.

Thanks for your assistance!!

Cheers!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VinhyVegas