New 1/4 mile time: [email protected]

SlowCreamPuff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pretty happy with my new best. Last time I was at the track, 12.3@118.
redface.gif

K&N filter, smooth tubes, Corsa 3" cat-back.
2001 GTS w/ 27,000 miles.

OP
OP
S

SlowCreamPuff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, the problem was humidity.
frown.gif

No doubt a 100% stock Gen II GTS can run in the 11's.

I don't abuse my clutch too much and I don't power shift. There is 2-3 tenths right there.

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SlowCreamPuff:

I don't abuse my clutch too much and I don't power shift. There is 2-3 tenths right there.

[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So at what rpm were you launching at. It seems a good track can make a big difference as I have seen with my limited experience.

OP
OP
S

SlowCreamPuff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is a little more details...

Stock tires.
30-32 psi in the rears.
32-34 psi in the fronts.
Clean & warm the tires (no big burn out).
Launch at about 2200rpm.
Slip the clutch just a little so that car doesn't bog.
I could slip the clutch a little more, but just too abusive to gain another tenth or so...

2charmed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Reducing the pressure in the rears will get you another
.05-.10 I would think? You can reduce the rears to around 24-25
PSI.

Great numbers!

Regards,

2Charmed

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Heh, Mikey!!!

Great time, since you live in the land of impending moisture.Track conditions vary around the country, but with humidity ranging in your area from heavy to downpour, your times are very respectable. I have run a 11.9 in wonderful conditions and a properly prepped track,but I know alot of guys see major differences in their times on the heavy air days. Keep us posted when you sneak into the 11s!?

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not so SlowCreamPuff...

I'm a novice racer and have only had one real powerful car in my life with a stick (95Viper only had a month). I'm passionate about learning how to properly launch my car and will be going to Milan Michigan very soon.

When you say slip the clutch what exactly do you mean? Is it mash the gas and slowly pull out the clutch avoiding wheelspin or feather them together, again no wheelspin?

What should happen first? Wide open throttle or clutch out?

THANKS! If anyone has tips on a better track fairly local to the Pontiac, Michigan area please let me know.

USAF BAD ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 2charmed:
Reducing the pressure in the rears will get you another
.05-.10 I would think? You can reduce the rears to around 24-25
PSI.

Great numbers!

Regards,

2Charmed

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's my experience that lowering your rear pressure does nothing for your time on stock tires. In fact, my best times are at 35~ psi. There's talk on here that the tire is so wide, lowering the psi actually makes the middle of the tire begin to cave-in = less traction. From what I understand, lowering the psi is for tires that have a higher profile, and as such will "flatten" out with a lower psi, causing a bigger footprint and more traction. I can't see my tires flatten the least little bit with 20~psi vs 35-40~psi.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
USAF, I don't know what kind of tires you're running but with MXX3s and Pilots lowering the tire pressure can gain as much as .3 I made a half dozen passes consistantly running 12.6 - 12.7, lowered pressure and made 3 more passes at 12.3 on MXX3s. Rob Kincard in Lakeland had identical results with his creampuff.

Give it another chance, I'd like to know. Dropping tire pressure is common with drag racing.

OP
OP
S

SlowCreamPuff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As usual, it's a fine line.

Dropping the pressure is not only for letting the tire "flatten" to increase contact patch. It also makes the tires have more "give", therefore less shock and less likely to spin.

I was lazy and simply didn't play with tire pressures. Too many hot ladies to chat with.
supergrin.gif

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 1bad gts:
Evan recommends leaving back tires STOCK pressure

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's a pro aint he? I think if I lined up against another Viper I'd recommend they went with stock pressures too.
laugh.gif

OP
OP
S

SlowCreamPuff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a little tricky.

It's all based on feel, so very hard to put into words. I will try.

1. Rev the engine a little to say 2000rpm.
2. Let the clutch out quickly to the point of engagement.
3. Before the clutch completely engages (i.e., riding it), give it more throttle.
4. Balance the clutch engagement and throttle input based on "feel".

You can certainly practice "feeling" the launch on the streets, but traction is completely different at the track, so it won't be the same, but your ability to feel should apply.
smile.gif

More on the "feel". If the car is getting really good traction, the "feel" would be engine starting to bog. You can slow down your clutch engagement and add more throttle at the same time. If the car is starting to spin, also slow down the clutch engagement, steady throttle or slightly less.

Hope this helps. Now go play.
wink.gif

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte