New ACR break in and tire swap

compcoupe21

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am expecting my ACR to arrive next week and have a question regarding the factory ACR tire and usage during break in. I live near Chuck Tator's shop and he has always been adamant about breaking the car in the right way for the first 1000 miles and I don't question Chuck's advice but here is my question. If I am not going to track the car this year so would it make sense to swap out the factory tires for a true DOT tire like a PS2? I hear that even w/out track use the ACR's tires will burn up pretty quickly on the street so why waste them for street use, also taking into accout they are so sticky that they'll pick up every pebble or sand that the roads here in the Northeast are inundated with and throw a lot of debris inevitably chipping the paint mostly around the fender wells. I plan to put some 3M around the fender lips, I did that on my LP640 and it worked great. Also I was wondering how many guys track their car, it's not a priority for me because I don't have a lot of time on weekends but would like to do Limerock or Pocono or even Monticello a few times for recreation but if I do it will be later this summer. Any thoughts are welcome, thanks!!!

red heat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if you are not going to be driving much, I wouldn't even bother with any tire swapping. I have an 09 ACR and pretty much do what you want to, i.e. track the car 6-7 times a year and drive on the streets "occasionally. " I have 1500 miles on my car and have had the car since last july. I live in connecticut and I try to visit the tracks you listed plus Watkins glen (by far the best of all the northeast tracks). what color combo do you have? hope to see you out there!

I am already signed up for monticello on 5/17 (monday) with Sports Car Driving Association - Performance Driving in a Safe and Controlled Environment. I also have an event already sched for watkins glen on 5/3 and 5/4 (PDA Driving School).

dans69ss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exact situation as you with my ACR. I just had a clear bra installed on the car and I'm still thinking about swapping the Sport Cups for PS2's.

OP
OP
C

compcoupe21

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if you are not going to be driving much, I wouldn't even bother with any tire swapping. I have an 09 ACR and pretty much do what you want to, i.e. track the car 6-7 times a year and drive on the streets "occasionally. " I have 1500 miles on my car and have had the car since last july. I live in connecticut and I try to visit the tracks you listed plus Watkins glen (by far the best of all the northeast tracks). what color combo do you have? hope to see you out there!

I am already signed up for monticello on 5/17 (monday) with Sports Car Driving Association - Performance Driving in a Safe and Controlled Environment. I also have an event already sched for watkins glen on 5/3 and 5/4 (PDA Driving School).

What's your name, where are you? I'm Dan and live in Danbury, you might know my friends from Westchester, brothers named Mike and Matt, Matt is the tracker with a black ACR. I bought a "bright blue", almost bought a red w/black stripes but fell for the blue!

You mention you have 1500 miles, did you track it before 1000 and how are the tires at 1500?

OP
OP
C

compcoupe21

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exact situation as you with my ACR. I just had a clear bra installed on the car and I'm still thinking about swapping the Sport Cups for PS2's.

You just got the SSG from Ringgold, Kevin's old car, right? Hope you are enjoying it, at least Texas has more yearly usage then we do here! Where did you do the 3M, just the nose or in all the "danger" areas? I want to do the whole nose, sideview mirrors, behind the rear tires and the rear fender lips, maybe in front of the rear tires also where the dog leg is!

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I enjoy the sport cups on the street once they warm up, just go easy until they do. I took my ACR to the track with exactly 1,000 miles on the clock. When new, I clear bra'ed the whole nose, rocker panels, behind the rear wheels, mirrors, and 1/2 the hood to protect the paint. I suggest running the car as is and protect the paint first. If it will be a track car (mine is not), get the Hoosier R6's as suggested above.

OP
OP
C

compcoupe21

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that is good advice boxer and houston! How much tire is left after 1k and some track time?

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that is good advice boxer and houston! How much tire is left after 1k and some track time?

Plenty, they don't chew up that fast. The outside edge of the fronts are worn a little after the track, but still plenty of tread left. I only ran about 30-45 minutes on the track, and it was my first time, so I wasn't going 100%. You will enjoy the extra grip on the street once the tires are warm.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought of a caveat...if you plan to drive your ACR a lot in sub-50 deg F weather or rain, I would get PS2's. That's the only time. Again, jmo.

OP
OP
C

compcoupe21

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Plenty, they don't chew up that fast. The outside edge of the fronts are worn a little after the track, but still plenty of tread left. I only ran about 30-45 minutes on the track, and it was my first time, so I wasn't going 100%. You will enjoy the extra grip on the street once the tires are warm.

I currently own a Porsche GT3 with Sport Cups on it (305/30/19) and that car doesn't have near the power (415) or torque the Viper has and it's rear engine to boot and that car breaks out pretty easily until you get heat in the tires, then it's got serious grip! I figure I'll break in the car then take it to the track like you did and decide after "I go thru the first set what to do going forward based on how much street vs. track I'll be doing.

OP
OP
C

compcoupe21

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought of a caveat...if you plan to drive your ACR a lot in sub-50 deg F weather or rain, I would get PS2's. That's the only time. Again, jmo.

That won't happen but it's a good thought! I will not drive the car in rain and the 50 degree weather would be rare if ever. Our roads here won't be somewaht cleaned up until April and by then we should be seeing 60. I might just buy a second set, wheels and tires for when I do track it, not sure it's worth the expense though b/c the track time will be limited.

gilly6993

Viper Owner
Reaction score

2 great organizations....I'll be at Lime Rock with PDA in late March and April...just getting my schedule straightened out so I can run some Mondays with scda, especially want to get to Monticello...also may join Lime Rock club but not sure yet....where in CT do you live?

OP
OP
C

compcoupe21

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2 great organizations....I'll be at Lime Rock with PDA in late March and April...just getting my schedule straightened out so I can run some Mondays with scda, especially want to get to Monticello...also may join Lime Rock club but not sure yet....where in CT do you live?

Southwest corner/Danbury! Where are you?

red heat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's your name, where are you? I'm Dan and live in Danbury, you might know my friends from Westchester, brothers named Mike and Matt, Matt is the tracker with a black ACR. I bought a "bright blue", almost bought a red w/black stripes but fell for the blue!

You mention you have 1500 miles, did you track it before 1000 and how are the tires at 1500?

I live not far from waterbury, more towards the central part of the state. mine is a red/black with racing stripe on it. I drove the car very conservatively to about 600 miles. then I changed the oil. started tracking it and laying into it hard at about 1000 miles. there are about 250 hard track miles on it. sport cup tires still in good condition.

my name is folco. I also have a stock 02 RT10

OP
OP
C

compcoupe21

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Springfield, MA....

Not to far from here!

I live not far from waterbury, more towards the central part of the state. mine is a red/black with racing stripe on it. I drove the car very conservatively to about 600 miles. then I changed the oil. started tracking it and laying into it hard at about 1000 miles. there are about 250 hard track miles on it. sport cup tires still in good condition.

my name is folco. I also have a stock 02 RT10

You're real close! I loved my RT, should have never sold it.