New Battery Suggestions

bwagman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So my car wouldn't start today, but then it eventually did (after about 5 hours of charging and tinkering). I haven't driven it in awhile (almost 1 month) and I live in the Northeast where the temps have been near or below zero for almost 2 weeks so I'm sure that had something to do with it. I have a 2000GTS and I believe it has the original battery (or perhaps it's been replaced once) I removed the battery casing behind the rear wheel and it's a Mopar battery.

Here's my questions...from reading the posts on dead batteries I was wondering if anyone has changed to a different brand like Optima? And if so, how was the install? Did the new battery fit without any issues? Any direction on this would be very much appreciated.

Question 2: What are other people doing during these cold Winter months to assure their Vipers will start? I've done a search on both these topics, but came up with very little info.

Thanks

Ben

(2000 Viper GTS)
(2005 WRX STi)

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. I switched to an Optima two years ago and it has been fine. Some of the older cars have had fitment issues. Whatever you do, do not shave down the top posts to get it to fit.

2. You need to get a battery tender, unless your car is parked outside. I have used a battery tender for years, I was able to get 11 years out of my original battery in my Trans Am. The original battery still had good CCA left in it, but I figured it was about time to change it.

The factory Mopar battery is crap, I went through two batteries in a year, until going to the Optima.

Also, others have had good success with an Interstate Battery. Perhaps you could go that route if the Optima does not fit.

Copernicus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. I switched to an Optima two years ago and it has been fine. Some of the older cars have had fitment issues. Whatever you do, do not shave down the top posts to get it to fit.

2. You need to get a battery tender, unless your car is parked outside. I have used a battery tender for years, I was able to get 11 years out of my original battery in my Trans Am. The original battery still had good CCA left in it, but I figured it was about time to change it.

The factory Mopar battery is crap, I went through two batteries in a year, until going to the Optima.

Also, others have had good success with an Interstate Battery. Perhaps you could go that route if the Optima does not fit.

So, only the older Vipers suffered from fitment issues? How much room do you have between the top terminal? When it comes time to replace mine, I would like to switch to an Optima as well, but I'm concerned with fitment.

OP
OP
B

bwagman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What is considered an older Viper? Mine is a 2000 GTS. Do you think I'll have fitment issues with an optima? I know there are many different types of Optima Batteries, which one did you use?

Thanks

Copernicus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is considered an older Viper? Mine is a 2000 GTS. Do you think I'll have fitment issues with an optima? I know there are many different types of Optima Batteries, which one did you use?

Thanks

I'm guessing Gen I? I think I would just take a measurement to be sure.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 99 wouldn't fit an optima. I went Interstate. I'm a big fan of those b/c if they die in 18 months, you get a free (not pro-rated) replacement. And since viper batteries should be replaced every 18-24 months anyway, that works out well.

Good luck!

BTW - no fit issues w/ the interstate...

JD

Reaction score
Get a factory battery and use a battery tender to keep the battery charged when the car is not run for a couple weeks.

The Optima may or may not fit depending on the battery tray Z dimension to frame which varies from car to car.

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I replaced the original battery in my 99 last fall with a Diehard. I only changed it because I read stories of others that failed in newer Vipers than mine and I figured it wouldn't last forever.

The Diehard sat on my garage floor for over a month before I installed it and it still fired right up. I do not plan to use a Battery Tender or any type of trickle charger. No fit problems and Sears gave me a bit of a discount for installing it myself.

Knight Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would like to go to Optima because they are a sealed battery and I have had trouble with mine puking acid. I thought it was from the charging system over charging but everything seems to be in the normal parameters there so it could be the G's throwing acid out the vent. This is the second battery that has done this to me so the next will be sealed

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Optima would not fit my 2000 GTS either.

When I went to my local Dodge dealer years ago to get a warranty replacement battery for my last Viper, they said they only have batteries with both side and top posts....and that they could cut the posts off the top to make it work.

My 2000 has an Interestate, and I use a battery tender with a cigarette plug when the car sits over the winter.

I will not bend parts of the Viper to make a battery fit.

Mccarlin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Optima red tops are terrible batteries. If it's ever drained dead it will kill some cells and it will never hold a full charge again. I've had 3 replaced in my old car and finally got a different one.
The yellow and blue tops are MUCH better batteries.

drviperdds

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just wondering what is wrong with shaving off the top terminal posts so that they won't touch the frame, cause I did that with my Optima red on a 2000 GTS.

GTSjbud

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have decided to use an Odyssey PC1500 battery for my 96 GTS. This battery is a Group 78 dimensions/specifications just like the original. I have heard many good things about Odyssey batteries and they are a sealed unit.

Copernicus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just wondering what is wrong with shaving off the top terminal posts so that they won't touch the frame, cause I did that with my Optima red on a 2000 GTS.

I believe some individuals were cutting the terminals off only to reveal that the base of the terminal was hollow thus opening up the sealed battery.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
correct, if you saw the top terminal off an Optima...they are no longer sealed.

How do I know? My local auto parts store cut them off for me so thatit would fit in my GTS. As the hacksaw cut through....we hard a hiss...and you could see the terminal was hollow.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Costco Kirkland battery. No questions asked full replacement with 3 years and pro-rated replacement within 8 years (or maybe 100 months). I got a new one for free when mine drained last winter because I didn't use it for 2 months. Costco cost = $50 :2tu: and it's a stock fit (no need to mess around).

drviperdds

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's makes sense, I guess I didn't hacked away too much of it, just enough to clear the frame. Thanks for the info guys.

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Costco Kirkland battery. No questions asked full replacement with 3 years and pro-rated replacement within 8 years (or maybe 100 months). I got a new one for free when mine drained last winter because I didn't use it for 2 months. Costco cost = $50 :2tu: and it's a stock fit (no need to mess around).
Man, it's way too hard to replace a battery on a Viper to be using a COSCO battery. Up here ((2 COSCO's) in the cold my repair shop changes them out with NAPA Legend or Interstate like crazy. You can tell the quality of a battery by the weight. The heavier the better. More lead to slowly dissolve. The Gell cells, even NAPAs, doen't hold up in the cold storage unless they have a tender plugged in. Been there done that on 2 of my street rods and a Viper. This post says it all on COSCO battery. Yep, has a lifetime warranty but have to change it every year. Get a good battery and you won't have to. Also use a battery tender. Would say unhook battery but too ******* a Viper. I have tenders on mine. :nana:

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Optima would not fit my 2000 GTS either.

When I went to my local Dodge dealer years ago to get a warranty replacement battery for my last Viper, they said they only have batteries with both side and top posts....and that they could cut the posts off the top to make it work.

My 2000 has an Interestate, and I use a battery tender with a cigarette plug when the car sits over the winter.

I will not bend parts of the Viper to make a battery fit.

Lazy dealer! Dodge makes a specific battery for the Viper and it's a sidepost only. I purchased mine about eight months ago. Mine is a 2000 as well and I checked the battery today as part of my routine maintenance, NO WAY would any top post fit. I like the sealed OPTIMA design and use them normally where ever I can due to "acid spillage paranoia".....(hey a new meaning for the acronym "asp"). Truthfully I've experienced a much higher battery failure rate with OPTIMA batteries than standard style lead acid batteries.

I agree with the use of a Battery Tender.

Reaction score
I cut down the top post to clear the frame. Put the battery in the car and the system was dead, The top post is like a cup over a inner post, The inner post connects to the gell cells. The top cup is the link to the side post. So when U cut the post the connection was lost between the inner cells post and side terminal. I soldered the top of the battery connecting the inner post to the outer remaining ring going to the side terminal. This is not a good practice as it eliminates the warranty, to much heat will explode the battery, hot spots can be caused by high resistance spots where the connection is soldered.

Replace the battery with a stock battery and keep it charges with a Battery Tender.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use the next size smaller battery (from 730 CCA to 650 CCA or something like that?) Bought one from Walmart. No problems fitting and it'll be a few pounds lighter, too. It's the yellow one (I can see it through the bumper slots.) I never leave the alarm on, and it sits outside 100% of the time. Starts up in the teens (as temperature has been lately) just fine. I think I'm on year #4.

OP
OP
B

bwagman

Viper Owner
Reaction score

So, I decided to go with a red optima battery and installed it yesterday (Saturday). I had to shave off about 3mm off the right top negative terminal to clear the large metal brace, outside of that everything went very smooth. Once everything was installed the car fired right up. It's been very cold here definitely below 20 degrees. I took the car out today, and again she fired right up. I'll be starting her up again in the next couple days. I'll keep you all posted.

BTW, when I shaved down the terminal, the top still was sealed. I did not hear any noise indicating I had openend up something in the battery? Should I be worried???

Is anyone out their driving their Viper with a shaved Optima Terminal?

Ben

KERS-VPR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The optima fit fine in my 99GTS without any modification. As long as you didn't expose the core on the post when you filed it down you should be fine.

OP
OP
B

bwagman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The optima fit fine in my 99GTS without any modification. As long as you didn't expose the core on the post when you filed it down you should be fine.

Thanks for the reply. That's what I was thinking. I did not see any core exposure when I shaved off the 3mm of metal from the post. I think it's when you completely shave down the post or remove the post completely that there could be a problem...

Thanks again

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man, it's way too hard to replace a battery on a Viper to be using a COSCO battery. Up here ((2 COSCO's) in the cold my repair shop changes them out with NAPA Legend or Interstate like crazy. You can tell the quality of a battery by the weight. The heavier the better. More lead to slowly dissolve. The Gell cells, even NAPAs, doen't hold up in the cold storage unless they have a tender plugged in. Been there done that on 2 of my street rods and a Viper. This post says it all on COSCO battery. Yep, has a lifetime warranty but have to change it every year. Get a good battery and you won't have to. Also use a battery tender. Would say unhook battery but too ******* a Viper. I have tenders on mine. :nana:
Since I park my car in an underground common lot, I do not have the option of plugging in a battery tender. And I definitely don't have to change the Costco battery every year. It works for me and I don't plan on changing when I move to a house. :2tu:

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ben, get a battery tender. I ordered one from JonB today. My 94 hasn't been run in two months and here we go again on Saturday! My experience is only a viper can jump a viper so here we put on the driveway display. Got car to start, ran for 30 minutes, shut off and battery is dead. I'll bet I have only 200 miles or less on the current battery that's maybe 8 months old. I don't think climate matters, its use, I'm in S CA in a gargage that probably never gets below 50 degrees I keep saying I'll get a tender everytime this happenns. thank god for the Gen III set up, 6 torque screws in the trunk, no jack, no awkward motions getting to the battery. Took the wheel off last night and all the bolts, tonight I've got to listen to the Kragen auto parts guy give me a hard time on another exchange and I say the warantee doesn't say you have to drive the car. Maybe the optima can go a couple of months, I'd still get a tender if you don't drive it weekly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96