New brake rotors

96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a new set of rotors and brake pads on the way, but I was wondering if I need the "special tool" listed in the shop manual to push the piston back into the caliper? I have never changed a set of pads and rotors and was wondering how difficult it was.

Thanks.

0260in3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm speaking based on my '02 GTS. The special tool sure makes the job easier. I purchased the brake caliper kit from Harbor Freight for about $30. It took me a while to get the hang of it but it's actually not too hard. I think some have created their own tool by bending the tips on a needle-nose pliers. I don't know how well that works though. Good Luck

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have a new set of rotors and brake pads on the way, but I was wondering if I need the "special tool" listed in the shop manual to push the piston back into the caliper? I have never changed a set of pads and rotors and was wondering how difficult it was. Thanks.

The year matters. your 96 only needs a needle-nose-pliars, with nose tips spread to match the dimples in the pistons. Push n turn (recess) carefully.

HAPPY TO PROVIDE TECH SUPPORT TO CUSTOMERS !

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Homemade brake tool.

2837brake_socket.jpg

viperdude118

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm speaking based on my '02 GTS. The special tool sure makes the job easier. I purchased the brake caliper kit from Harbor Freight for about $30. It took me a while to get the hang of it but it's actually not too hard. I think some have created their own tool by bending the tips on a needle-nose pliers. I don't know how well that works though. Good Luck

The 96's are different from the 02's. The right tool would definetly help here. I struggled with a c-clamp and vice grips, but got it to work on my 01, which I assume is the same as an 02, but didn't figure out till later why everyone was saying "Ah just use needle nose pliers, it's easy" until I realized that they had pre 00' calipers.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've always wondered about the philosophy of spending $50-$90K on a car, and then using home made tools. I eagerly spend the $ for the special tools listed in the manuals. Maybe that just makes me a *******, but the tools seem to work flawlessly.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've always wondered about the philosophy of spending $50-$90K on a car, and then using home made tools. I eagerly spend the $ for the special tools listed in the manuals. Maybe that just makes me a *******, but the tools seem to work flawlessly.

Show me where you can buy that tool on a Saturday night at 10pm......and it works FLAWLESSLY :lmao:

It also "may" be a step above needle nose...which will also work. We are screwing in the brake piston.....not building the space shuttle. :D

You think that was hard......you should see my torque wrench made from balsa wood :rolleyes:

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The right tool is usually a big advantage, makes the job easier, and makes the mechanic more confident that he is doing the job right. But like Tony said, try finding it when you need it on the weekend. Also, I hate to blow my hard earned money on a tool I will use once or twice. Especially if I can do the job with some needle nose.

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1Tony1,

Nice job, I like your work and I bet it worked perfect!! Did you make that with a band saw or just a grinder?

Regards,

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here in MI, at least one of the local discount auto supplies (Murray's) will lend you an entire plastic cased tool kit with pieces for doing that type of thing for FREE.
(Autozone may do the same thing..)

You have to kind of buy it for over $100, but then you can return it for a full refund.

I just used it on my Sable wagon, screwing the rear calipers' pistons back in, in a clockwise direction as I added new rotors.

Then I took the entire kit back for a CC credit :)

----------------------------------

2001 ACR/1999 GTS
Chrome ACR Wheels for sale
(24lbs lighter than OE 18")

Last edited:
G

grcforce327

Show me where you can buy that tool on a Saturday night at 10pm......and it works FLAWLESSLY :lmao:

It also "may" be a step above needle nose...which will also work. We are screwing in the brake piston.....not building the space shuttle. :D

You think that was hard......you should see my torque wrench made from balsa wood :rolleyes:

Tony,he doesn't have the time to make it,he would have to set his beer down and get his boyfriend off his crotch!:lmao:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Planning... Yup, I usually just go off on Saturday night at 22:00 hrs and go "Honey, let's do something to the Viper that we don't have the tools for." Just me, remember I'm the ******* that reads the manual before starting the job, allowing time for potentially unforeseen obstacles.

Time to twist open a long neck and freshen up the duct tape on my seats.