new C6 info

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike, lets HOPE that it is true? I would love nothing more than to see GM and Ford ACTUALLY provide some REAL competition! This is the only way we will ever see an even HIGHER performance edition of VIPER! The key to remember, the more the challenge, the faster the Viper will be!

Remember, we have the team that has PROVEN over the last 10 years that they intend on being the top dog. While the rest like to talk about how fast their future cars will go, our team MAKES the cars that go the fastest. That works for me. BTW, Lutz will only be at GM 5 years at the most, who in that entire organization is going to have the balls to keep his momentum going? At least we have Fernandez and Wolfgang, who have vowed to take on all challengers! I just love this view from the top!

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jon69:
And the Z06 is about the fastest car out there around a track.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Y O U W I S H
supergrin.gif

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't believe most of it.

I highly doubt there are test mules out there considering the car is an easy 2+ years away. And the info I have heard regarding the next Corvette is that it will NOT be a challenger to the SRT. I really don't buy that GM is going to use a camless electronic valve engine - maybe they are looking at it, but I don't think it will be ready for primetime in 2004. Also, 500HP from a 347cid engine in a production car meeting CARB requirements with no gas guzzler tax... I just don't see it. That is a 25% improvement from whats available now with a 3/36 warranty. They could hit 500hp if they can make the motor a revver, but they will sacrifice torque - even with the electronic valves... and one thing Vette buyers won't stand for is low torque.

There MIGHT be a special edition Vette that will outperform the SRT later on down the line, but it will be a megabuck, limited production car.

I'd be interested on Steve Ferguson's comments on this article... Steve, care to weigh in?

91ZR1#661

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is the same info I heard.And they do have C6's running
around in disguise on the streets!They had ZR1's running
around in 1987!The C6 is going to be great-less weight,more power!
95yellovett(Z07)

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know why viper owners think the only one who can build fast cars is dodge because there not, the Z06 is close and thats a small V8 not a V10.I also hope ford and chevy build supercars because I want one, along with a new GTSR.You have Bob Lutz at chevy now and he has something to prove and I think you will see it in the C6, and Colletti at Ford has already called the viper an earthworm.I think everyone set their crosshairs on the viper and now we will see how they shoot in the next 18 months.I hope they are good shots so the viper will just get better, thats what I love about competition everyone gets better.A biased opinion is usually not a very realistic one.Craig in the new car and driver the Z06 did beat the GTS ACR on the road course segment of the roadtest by a half second, and came in less than a second behind on the total course competition of the stock cars
tested so I would say the competition is already knocking on our door, better beef it up before they kick it down!

Birvini

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Maxwedge:
I think we should all applaud GM and Ford and push them on. Better them than other germans or Italians being the competition.
What would be cooler than of 12 super cars, the top 3 are American....Big Smile on my face thinking about that...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That would be cool!!!

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually, a camless design really opens the door for performance AND emissions compliance.

In fact, this technology is necessary for the next level of performance.

What will be amazing with "digitally controlled" valves will be the ability to optimize the engine for horsepower, torque, mileage, or emissions.

The results will be new territory because all camshaft designs are compromises.

Ahhhhhhhh, to not be at the mercy of the camshaft.

Boy, talk about getting your programming right!

Tom

PS. The big deal with this will be optimization programs that will combine with torque, fuel consumption, and emissions feedback to optimize a particular goal.

Imagine being able to vary valve timing, fuel timing, and spark timing to obtain maximum torque.

This is almost Faustian...

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
Craig in the new car and driver the Z06 did beat the GTS ACR on the road course segment of the roadtest by a half second
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jamie,

You are correct. BUT, what you forgot to mention is the fact that a 'Car & Driver' employee drove the Viper, and a professional driver (ringer) hired by Chevrolet drove the Vette. If memory serves, everyone agreed the Viper would have won the competition, hands down, with an accomplished Viper driver. The Porsche had a hired 'ringer' as well. Not to take anything away from the Z06, it is an awesome track car - but not 'as good' as the Viper. Not to mention the pro driver's were accomplished Vette and Porsche drivers - the best of the best. Vs. a magazine driver. Give me a break....

I bet an accomplished Viper driver could have cut at least 2-4 seconds off his time..... The Viper is an almost impossible car to drive 90%-100% unless you have 'A LOT' of seat/track time. I think we would all agree with this point.

No flames, just clarification....

Blake Kercovich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As a curent Corvette owner, a future Viper owner, and someone who never cared for Ford...one of the most exciting things I've seen recently is the numbers the '03 Cobras are putting out!
I still don't care for the Rustang style, but I love seeing Furd putting out some HP.
I can think of nothing better than Ford releasing the GT40 concept (even if it's limited production), Chevy coming out with a ZR1/Z06 type upgrade for the C6 in the 500HP range, and having a 2 way battle for king of the road.
I doubt we will ever see it, as Ford has been reluctant to enter the 2 seat sports car market forever, and GM touts that it is not interested in an HP war...but a man can dream, can't he?!
supergrin.gif

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This point bugs me...It seems there are several cases of "shoot outs" where the Viper driver is not nearly as experienced with the Viper as the other drivers are with their cars...

For what its worth, at a recent Skip Barber Racing School, seeing what a pro driver with plenty of Viper Seat time can do with a GTS was impressive to say the least (although I am not an experienced racer - just a poser...)

Tomer

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drock187