New Car Mileage Question?

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark I do understand your point about cars. Especialy about paying so much for them but what is your issue.... its realy rude to ask someones advice and then just shoot down everything they say and be so condisending. Like everyone keeps telling you.. THe VIPER IS NOT LIKE OTHER CARS!!!!! the engine was designed for one thing...... racing. We keep telling you, order one from the factory or buy from tator or woodhouse. these guys sell vipers to the most fanatical group of true car people, viper owners. forget those posers that drive overpriced exotics(not to say that some of them aren't great, but they are more about prestige and image than about anything else) Not to mention that vipers have what I would test to be the best warranty service from any manufacturer. I have seen in the past (early years) where Dodge has replaced entire engines because of minor issues because they care about us as owners and they dont want vipers with problems on the road. its just not good advertising. So at this point either your are just some lonely Corvette guy trying to get the members on this board worked up trying to help you and tell you something they know a great deal about, or you really just don't understand the viper at all, do some research (this board is great for that) look at everything that owners have done to these engines, racing, SC, TT, NOS, boring the engine to the point other blocks would explode, and look at the results... HAPPY PEOPLE and stronge engines. The viper engine is nearly bullet proof, to quote my favorite bumper sticker on my first car, a 1968 Cadi hearse (yes hearse) "don't hold such strong opinions about things you don't understand"!

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark I do understand your point about cars. Especialy about paying so much for them but what is your issue.... its realy rude to ask someones advice and then just shoot down everything they say and be so condisending. Like everyone keeps telling you.. THe VIPER IS NOT LIKE OTHER CARS!!!!! the engine was designed for one thing...... racing. We keep telling you, order one from the factory or buy from tator or woodhouse. these guys sell vipers to the most fanatical group of true car people, viper owners. forget those posers that drive overpriced exotics(not to say that some of them aren't great, but they are more about prestige and image than about anything else) Not to mention that vipers have what I would test to be the best warranty service from any manufacturer. I have seen in the past (early years) where Dodge has replaced entire engines because of minor issues because they care about us as owners and they dont want vipers with problems on the road. its just not good advertising. So at this point either your are just some lonely Corvette guy trying to get the members on this board worked up trying to help you and tell you something they know a great deal about, or you really just don't understand the viper at all, do some research (this board is great for that) look at everything that owners have done to these engines, racing, SC, TT, NOS, boring the engine to the point other blocks would explode, and look at the results... HAPPY PEOPLE and stronge engines. The viper engine is nearly bullet proof, to quote my favorite bumper sticker on my first car, a 1968 Cadi hearse (yes hearse) "don't hold such strong opinions about things you don't understand"!
Your 100% correct as the man is on a Viper forum asking advice on purchasing a Viper yet does not want to listen to what people (owners )with true experience have to say.Personally (as i mentioned previously )i have owned 4 Vipers of every generation ,driven the 4 combined approx 50 000 miles and have never came close ANY of the problems he is worried about.(Not to mention in the unlikely event if anything ever did happen its covered by a full factory warranty).

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, 1BAD, any magazines need fuels and lubes writers or commentary? Sounds like a fun position!
Tom i will certainly ask Evan (Smith )when i speak to him .If the gentleman (Mark ) who started this topic could ever see firsthand the amount of ABUSE prototypes are put thru by professional drivers on closed coarses YEARS BEFORE THEY ARE RELEASED TO THE PUBLIC i doubt he would be worried about some salesman taking the car around the block before its purchased.

OP
OP
M

markbrown

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok look at the below statement from a guy out car shopping for a Z06 he posted this on a corvette forum - A dealer give a guy the keys to a car with 7 miles on it and read what he does to it. After reading

below the guy says -----------------------------------------------

One dealer I found turned out to be an awesome experience. To make it short, he threw me the keys to an 08 Z with 7 miles on it and said "Take it out for a while and see what you think"

Me: Ummmm....ok.
You must be registered for see images attach

I won't drag this on too much. From a drivers perspective:
<snip>
Getting on it was the biggest shocker. I drove an 06 a few months ago in colder weather. Any attempt to nail it in first gear resulted in the tires spinning like crazy. I am now thinking that it was a matter of cold roads and 5000 miles on the 06's tires. I actually questioned the Z section on how the heck they get the power to the road. This new 08 stuck to the road beautifully.
<snip>
Ya, I spanked this brand new car up to 7000 RPM. Did it a few times in fact. You bet your rear end I'm going to get a feel for it before committing to such a huge expense.

the entire thread is here Can't decide between LS3 and Z06? Read me. - Corvette Forum

Wanna buy that new z06 now any of you? I tell you this is an epidemic at dealers!

MB

ps guys I am listening to you about the strength of the viper engine, I just dont want to buy a Viper that has potentially been abused by someone anyone at a dealership. I think thats unfair to get a car that has been dogged on by several people before i buy it "as a supposedly NEW car" ? is that too much to ask?

Last edited:

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok look at the below statement from a guy out car shopping for a Z06 he posted this on a corvette forum - A dealer give a guy the keys to a car with 7 miles on it and read what he does to it. After reading

below the guy says -----------------------------------------------

One dealer I found turned out to be an awesome experience. To make it short, he threw me the keys to an 08 Z with 7 miles on it and said "Take it out for a while and see what you think"

Me: Ummmm....ok.
You must be registered for see images attach

I won't drag this on too much. From a drivers perspective:
<snip>
Getting on it was the biggest shocker. I drove an 06 a few months ago in colder weather. Any attempt to nail it in first gear resulted in the tires spinning like crazy. I am now thinking that it was a matter of cold roads and 5000 miles on the 06's tires. I actually questioned the Z section on how the heck they get the power to the road. This new 08 stuck to the road beautifully.
<snip>
Ya, I spanked this brand new car up to 7000 RPM. Did it a few times in fact. You bet your rear end I'm going to get a feel for it before committing to such a huge expense.

the entire thread is here Can't decide between LS3 and Z06? Read me. - Corvette Forum

Wanna buy that new z06 now any of you? I tell you this is an epidemic at dealers!

MB

ps guys I am listening to you about the strength of the viper engine, I just dont want to buy a Viper that has potentially been abused by someone anyone at a dealership. I think thats unfair to get a car that has been dogged on by several people before i buy it "as a supposedly NEW car" ? is that too much to ask?
Mark for the hundredth time it can happen and does happen at any and all car dealership.(Chevy,Dodge,Mb,Ferrari,Lambo,Nissan )It can happen and does happen BEFORE the car even gets to the car dealership.Only YOU think that these actions are harmful to the car .Logic is right out the window here.A NEW Viper motor can survive being run to near 6000RPM ICE COLD at FULL THROTTLE and kept at that RPM for 72 hours straight.A NEW Viper motor can survive being run on Dodges closed test track for tens of thousands of miles by drivers of professional level ability (cold ,hot,temp weather and coolant temp wise ).No Viper owner has EVER EXPERIENCED a problem related to your concerns and even if there was a problem related to this you have a 3-36 warranty with the option for more.If you truely believe these actions are harmful to the car you should not buy one but again, why are you on a Viper forum asking the opinion of EXPERIANCED VIPER OWNERS when you know the answer to begin with?

trojewski

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark's original question was: 'how many miles should a new Viper have on it at delivery?'.

My new ACR was sent to the dealer with 4 mi on the odometer...ands that's what it had when I drove it home. I agree with him, I want to break it in.

OP
OP
M

markbrown

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark's original question was: 'how many miles should a new Viper have on it at delivery?'.

My new ACR was sent to the dealer with 4 mi on the odometer...ands that's what it had when I drove it home. I agree with him, I want to break it in.

thank god thank you! end of this thread now. i think 4 miles is what i can live with as long as i don't see rubber chunks on the inner fender wells when get it.

look for my new thread titled "first time viper buyer what to get?"

thanks to all you guys for convincing me (thought i still have some doubts) the the viper engine is durable to take some abuse. i can tell you that's not the case with a c6 z06 engine 427 505 hp. they are a crap shoot. i have a good one now but i broke it in slow and easy - my other two vettes had lifter noises.

thanks again hope i did'nt piss anyone off. mb

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No problem but i have to ask you one question as i read on another forum you are NOW interested in a used GEN 2 .That being the case since they have not made a Gen 2 since 2002 how are you going to cope with the fact that the car was not flogged for the past 7 years?(your worried about a NEW Viper with FULL WARRANTY not being correct but not worried about buying a used one with thousands of miles where some parts are borderline obsolete and EXTREMELY COSTLY)

OP
OP
M

markbrown

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No problem but i have to ask you one question as i read on another forum you are NOW interested in a used GEN 2 .That being the case since they have not made a Gen 2 since 2002 how are you going to cope with the fact that the car was not flogged for the past 7 years?(your worried about a NEW Viper with FULL WARRANTY not being correct but not worried about buying a used one with thousands of miles where some parts are borderline obsolete and EXTREMELY COSTLY)

don't think i will buy a used viper i was being conversational more than anything, however.

my feelings are different on a used viper than a new one and the prices of the used vipers reflect that difference. i would not pay 105k for a used viper, but i would pay 50k for a pre 2003 acr to play around with. like you guys claim the engine is bullet proof so what the heck? there are some people who keep their cars and care for them like i do (i have chamois contact glued to the back of my license plate), you can tell who they are when you see their ad or listen to them talk. from a person like that who knows their car i would not be afraid to purchase used.

i wish i had the money back in 2002 and i would have bought a viper but i had a partner run off with all the companies money in 2000 and i am just now recovering to previous wealth status.

mb

Last edited:

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought you were truely concerned with someone abusing your car BEFORE you bought it and if thats the case how can you EVER consider buying used esp considering most people buy Vipers to run them.Your chances of breaking something major on a used one (without a warranty )are far greater and when something does happen EXTREMELY COSTLY.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark....Do us a favor...Do not purchase a Viper. I am sure that there is someone out there that will accept delivery of the Viper you were going to purchase & be competely happy with the decision they made....

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark....Do us a favor...Do not purchase a Viper. I am sure that there is someone out there that will accept delivery of the Viper you were going to purchase & be competely happy with the decision they made....
My thoughts exactly.Hes reluctant to buy new VIPER (fears that someone may have ABUSED the car prior to the purchase FULL WARRANTY aside )yet goes to another VCA Forum and says he wants to buy a USED Gen2 (has no fear that a USED Viper without ANY WARRANTY at all may be ABUSED ) now says that he only said that to make conversation.

OP
OP
M

markbrown

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark....Do us a favor...Do not purchase a Viper. I am sure that there is someone out there that will accept delivery of the Viper you were going to purchase & be completely happy with the decision they made....

HTML clipboardgreat advice from a vca member thanks.

btw no one stepped up to let me drive their viper which no one gives a crap about abusing did they. i think the MAJORITY of most any type of car owner really cares about potential abuse of their car from friends, family or dealers.

mb

ps if you take the time to stop beating on me you will see post that there are other viper owners who have said in this thread that they expect the new viper mileage to be around 4 miles at delivery.

many times a dealer name has been thrown out here who obviously cares about the cars also - calling and asking permission for the prep guy to put 2 miles on a new viper to check it out prior to delivery.

OP
OP
M

markbrown

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My thoughts exactly.Hes reluctant to buy new VIPER (fears that someone may have ABUSED the car prior to the purchase FULL WARRANTY aside )yet goes to another VCA Forum and says he wants to buy a USED Gen2 (has no fear that a USED Viper without ANY WARRANTY at all may be ABUSED ) now says that he only said that to make conversation.

i explained this paradox already - get over it. have you ever made friendly conversation about something? mb

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
btw no one stepped up to let me drive their viper which no one gives a crap about abusing did they. i think the MAJORITY of most any type of car owner really cares about potential abuse of their car from friends, family or dealers.

BZZZT. I said come to NY and wash my car for a free ride. And I mentioned that my Charger came with over 250 miles on it. Also, I think the 4 miles came from observations, not from a "requirement" for a new car. Too bad we can't divide the mechanical vs. dealer abuse. Oh well, when there's a technical issue, I'll be back.

OP
OP
M

markbrown

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BZZZT. I said come to NY and wash my car for a free ride. And I mentioned that my Charger came with over 250 miles on it. Also, I think the 4 miles came from observations, not from a "requirement" for a new car. Too bad we can't divide the mechanical vs. dealer abuse. Oh well, when there's a technical issue, I'll be back.

which brings to question in general do vipers get a little more attention/ service at the dealer? i know at chevy the vettes get special care - are parked inside at night ect.

mb

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
absolutely.... When I took my 94 into the dealer, I had three bays so no car or non viper tech was near my car and they had a locked bay to park it in at night.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The topic of this thread has been answered and addressed over and over again by NUMERIOUS VIPER OWNERS and even if a problem exists(WHICH IT DOESNT) IT WOULD BE COVERED BY WARRANTY.All the hypothethical nonsense should be put aside and simply STEP UP and by a VIPER.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMO, you have five options:

(1.) Order a Viper and arrange pickup at CAAP. This may be the best bet to get a zero or near zero mileage Viper off the assembly line and directly into your hands. Not to mention the tour of CAAP itself is awesome.

(2.) Order a Viper from Tator's Dodge. I only trust Chuck with my Viper.

(3.) Order a Viper from Woodhouse. I'm sure Mark will take great care of it for you.

(4.) Don't buy a Viper.

(5.) Buy a new Viper with a few miles on it and get over it.

It sounds like you're leaning toward Option #4.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The entire thread is nonsense in more than a few ways.Case closed if he truely WANTED to buy a Viper and was concerned about the factors mentioned he would arrange to pick up the car at CAAP or order the car from Tators.Instead he simply wants to churn up things that simply are irrevelant.

OP
OP
M

markbrown

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The entire thread is nonsense in more than a few ways.Case closed if he truely WANTED to buy a Viper and was concerned about the factors mentioned he would arrange to pick up the car at CAAP or order the car from Tators.Instead he simply wants to churn up things that simply are irrevelant.

i have decided to buy a new viper, but now i have to decide colors coupe or vert, leaning towards a vert otherwise i would get an acr, but that wing is a put off for me as a daily driver. i think a vert would better suit my conservativeness. i have also narrowed down to two dealers i will give a try. by that i mean the miles on the car have to be low, the color i want otherwise mileage will dictate where i buy and possibly even my color choice.

yes i am saying i will take a 2nd choice color to get a car with 4 miles from these two dealers othewise i will just go out shoppng for anyone who has a 4 mile car. if i cant find something that suits me i may just order a 09 like i want.

i was considering a lambo gallardo a ford gt or a porsche s4 then i got to thinking american muscle should have first choice - i need something that won't be in the shop all the time.

mb

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang