new ebay scam?

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i would like the mods to leave this thread here because it may be very important and i want as many people to see this as possible.

i buy items on ebay occasionally, and have done so again recently. i am currently the high bidder on a couple of items, have recently sent checks out, and have items enroute as we speak.

i just received a very official email from "ebay" saying that if i didnt pay for an item immediately, that i was going to be reported! (i ALWAYS try to pay right away).

after thinking "WTH?!", i immediately clicked on the link provided in the email and tired to log onto "ebay". my log in didnt work. so, i tried again. DIDNT WORK. HUH?

so, i shut down the email and went directly to ebay and tried to log in. log in WORKED. WTH?

i went back to the email and looked up the item number given in the email, on EBAY. EBAY says item number didnt exist. WTH?

***i think i just gave someone my user name and password! changed password IMMEDIATELY.***

i have never heard of this one before. EBAY USERS - BE CAREFUL.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I received this email over a month ago. Luckily I noticed it was a scam. If you look, when you click on the link in the email, it goes to a site that just LOOKS like Ebay. When I get suspicious emails, I always verify where the link takes me before clicking on them. On AOL, you just have to mouse over the link and it will show you the web address where the link will direct you.

OP
OP
big-n-italian

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
these password phishers are getting VERY GOOD. their emails look more and more legit everyday, and their scams are getting even cleverer.

Last edited:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have received 4 tax-refund offers from the IRS this past month. Seems they miscalculated and owe me $294, $367, 471, and $629. All I have to provide is my Taxpayer ID or SSN, DOB, and address to which they will send my refund.....

Very official-looking IRS web mask....... Ill fool them: Ill just wait til they offer ~$5000 and THEN Ill respond with my info.........

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Seen those a lot. NEVER follow a commercial link and never use any of your passwords when following a link. The only links that you can be sure are legitimate is the ones from the home pages you type in. Banks, ebay, credit card - they're all scams and cons to steal your money.

I used to think that no one was stupid enough to get ripped off here in North America where we all go to school, but then I started watching old folks getting ripped, etc. I guess that if you worked really hard for your money, you're probably smart enough to keep it?

3rd world con artists new career choice is to steal from North Americans. Re-distribute the weatlh of the world?

The con artists are sucking in enough people that even Montreal has a cache of cons now. The RCMP busted over 100 people there doing phone and email scams. "Yah" for the RCMP. I did get ripped by someone from the Canary Islands selling "near new" Turbos from a speed shop in Texas once. Ebay has better protections now compared to then.

My motto - "Won't get ripped again."

If I do, I may make a Viper trip to find and end the con?

Ted

gringoray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My advice is I would be very careful with ebay sellers. I don't buy any more off the site because I want to see the item in person, hold it, touch it, etc. A close friend of mine, a gal viper owner, and she's not a member of this great Board, but she purchased some wheels via ebay, and the wheels showed up with small cracks in the powdercoating and the color was off. Needless to say, she had one hell of a time sending them back.

I guess the old saying is buyer beware! :2tu:

My two cents

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My advice is I would be very careful with ebay sellers. I don't buy any more off the site because I want to see the item in person, hold it, touch it, etc. A close friend of mine, a gal viper owner, and she's not a member of this great Board, but she purchased some wheels via ebay, and the wheels showed up with small cracks in the powdercoating and the color was off. Needless to say, she had one hell of a time sending them back.

I guess the old saying is buyer beware! :2tu:

My two cents

I do a lot of ebay business. Viper parts included. There are some ways to manage risk and I am mostly successful.

If you add up all of the killer parts scores and subtract all the frustrating ripoffs, the result is still way positive.

It's just hard to get over being taken. Even just once.

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have received 4 tax-refund offers from the IRS this past month. Seems they miscalculated and owe me $294, $367, 471, and $629. All I have to provide is my Taxpayer ID or SSN, DOB, and address to which they will send my refund.....

Very official-looking IRS web mask....... Ill fool them: Ill just wait til they offer ~$5000 and THEN Ill respond with my info.........

I've gotten quite a few of those too. But Firefox caught it:drive:

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I get those ALL the time, I usually put in the following username: yourmothersawhore and the password: yourealoser and then put fake addresses and fake credit card numbers and laugh the whole time I'm filling out their form. The good phishing e-mails have a failed login, then a re-direct to ebay's login page (same as the previous one, except for what's in the address bar up top) and your 2nd attempt logs you right in, so you naturally assume you mis-typed your information before. Always use your saved "favorite" link to ebay or paypal rather than one provided by an e-mail.

Personally, I'd love to meet one of the people who do that phishing as I'd take them fishing for great whites and use them as bait!!!

Regards,
Aaron

ViperJay

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I get those ALL the time, I usually put in the following username: yourmothersawhore and the password: yourealoser and then put fake addresses and fake credit card numbers and laugh the whole time I'm filling out their form. The good phishing e-mails have a failed login, then a re-direct to ebay's login page (same as the previous one, except for what's in the address bar up top) and your 2nd attempt logs you right in, so you naturally assume you mis-typed your information before. Always use your saved "favorite" link to ebay or paypal rather than one provided by an e-mail.

Personally, I'd love to meet one of the people who do that phishing as I'd take them fishing for great whites and use them as bait!!!

Regards,
Aaron

i do this as well. yesterday i had one with a phone number to call from a "credit union". the line had not been shut down yet. i spoke to them with very broken english and kept stringing them along. funny as all hell. ended up giving them the alphabet for my account number and they finally hung up.:lmao:

v10kingsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i would like the mods to leave this thread here because it may be very important and i want as many people to see this as possible.

i buy items on ebay occasionally, and have done so again recently. i am currently the high bidder on a couple of items, have recently sent checks out, and have items enroute as we speak.

i just received a very official email from "ebay" saying that if i didnt pay for an item immediately, that i was going to be reported! (i ALWAYS try to pay right away).

after thinking "WTH?!", i immediately clicked on the link provided in the email and tired to log onto "ebay". my log in didnt work. so, i tried again. DIDNT WORK. HUH?

so, i shut down the email and went directly to ebay and tried to log in. log in WORKED. WTH?

i went back to the email and looked up the item number given in the email, on EBAY. EBAY says item number didnt exist. WTH?

***i think i just gave someone my user name and password! changed password IMMEDIATELY.***

i have never heard of this one before. EBAY USERS - BE CAREFUL.
Yeah I have seen that one before and in paypal the same type of scam. With paypal if you link a bank account like many do, they can wipe out all your money in a matter of seconds. Once the money is out of the bank account, say goodbye. You have little if any chance of getting it back.

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This got me a few months ago and all of a sudden there were a few charges on my account from places like romania. So I had all my credsit cards canceled and replaced. What a pain in the butt. Be careful everyone.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960