New Garage Pictures

SmokinV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ron,
What kind of tiles are those? Do they crack under the pressure of the 4 posts lift? Are they ceramic? If so do they chip when you drop something on them? Or did you spring for the Griots quartz tile?

OP
OP
R

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Smokin,

I think you're directing this at Russ, as my lift is in the carport and on concrete. However, since you asked, my tiles are Race Deck. The Race Deck tiles are clearly for show and not much go. A car has no effect on them, but they do not hold up well to a floor jack -- contrary to the manufacturer's claims. The jack wheels dimple the tiles pretty easily. I discovered this last week when we jacked a car on the Race Deck. I really wasn't surprised that there would be some indentations, but the amount of dimpling in several of the tiles was truly disappointing. Granted, the jack used was a cheap small floor jack (<$100), with small wheels. Perhaps a professional model jack with larger wheels and better weight distribution would not have been as tough on the flooring. Obviously, any future jacking will be done with the jack on a thin steel plate. I'll be testing the Race Deck lifetime guarantee on the damaged tiles.

I don't want anyone to get the impression that I'm dissatisfied with the Race Deck flooring. I planned the garage as a showroom and storage, with the carport and its concrete floor as the work area. If I'd wanted to use the garage as a work area, I would have chosen another flooring surface, probably a professionally-applied epoxy. But you can't beat the Race Deck for appearance. In the case of my garage, it's clearly the difference between "That's nice" and "Wow!" Expensive as the Race Deck is, other tile options are even more costly. The Griot's quartz tiles would have cost me $8600 for my 24x24 garage -- over 5 times the cost of the Race Deck and well beyond my modest budget.

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let us know what Race Deck says about warranty issue on the tiles. I was planning on buying racedeck also. With a slanted driveway, the garage is a good place to jack up the car.

Andy

Russ Oasis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My experience has been pretty much the same as Ron's. My floor is commercial ceramic tile that is supposed to be installed in stores, commercial applications, etc. When they installed it they took some shortcuts which I didn't know about. They applied the base glue (or filler stuff under the tile) in blotches rather than a flat sandwich coat. The result is that any sharp or uneven pressure on a tile will crack it. I'm sure that a floor jack would annihilate it. I put rubber pads under the posts for the lifts and the same under the wheels of the Coke machine, Alfa Romeo coffee table, etc. If you use tile, watch them install it and make sure that they don't try to cut corners. Also, like Ron said, if you plan on doing a lot of repairs on it, tile might not be the way to go. Dropped hammers or wrenches will not be friendly to the tile. The bottom line is that it looks the best but the downside is that it is not the most practical for working on.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960