New Gen1 Roe numbers

grnsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My upgrade project is complete.

The base numbers were 413rwhp/479rwtq (graph in image gallery) with Edelbrock headers, no cats, smooth tubes, and filters.

The new numbers are 576rwhp/643rwtq (graph in image gallery) with Roe 8lb, **** injection, and Harland Sharp RR.

I did the install myself which included a head gasket. Tuning was done by Joe Donovan at Performance by Joe in St Louis.

Donuts4me9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
grnsnake, please let us know how streetable it is ! how difficult was the install? how long did it take?

OP
OP
G

grnsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Daily drivability is great, not really much different from stock. Obviously more torque at low RPMs but the power seems to come on smoothly. I am getting exhaust popping during deacceleration a bit more than before, I started getting some of this after installing the headers and full 3" pipe but it has increased with the SC. It's not to bad, some of this is probably normal with a SC.

Getting the power to the ground at the higher end is a problem right now. This car still has the stock tires which was dangerous before the SC. My plan is to burn these tires down to the cords this summer and start fresh with new tires and halfshafts next summer.

Installing the SC was relatively simple, the most tedious steps involved installing the crankshaft pin and wiring the VEc2. I would be pressed to install it in a single day but I am not a mechanic.

The **** injection kit was very simple, a few hours at most.

The head gasket and RR require more knowledge and caution. I bought a service manual which is necessary for torque sequences and measurements. I purchased the gasket kit from Tators Dodge, Chuck Tator was extremely helpful. There are also very useful posts on this forum.

I have to say I was a nervous wreck during the first few dyno pulls, every doubt I had during the install of all this stuff flashed before my eyes during that first pull. Everything checked out OK.

As far as the total time, this project took about a month due mainly to waiting on parts. A more complete list of what this project involved:
- head gasket, had the heads cleaned and surfaced
- Roe silicone coolant hose kit
- Valve covers and coolant tubes powdercoated
- replaced all heater hoses
- replaced overflow bottle (due to hole puncture by facia screw) and pressure bottle (unsightly yellowing)
- new wires
- Roe power Steering Vent
- Roe crankcase breather
- harland sharp RR
- Roe **** injection kit
- ROE SC - a great price from Scott Sutker (TOOOFST) - Roe distributor, Illinois

For a non-mechanic like myself, I would give the following general advice on a project like this:
- Get a service manual.
- Follow torque sequences and settings for every part (DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN BOLTS)
- Keep engine compartment free of clutter when heads or manifold is off - make sure you dont lose anything in the engine.
- Follow service manual and Roe instructions exactly, I got burned every time I jumped ahead.

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Great numbers but you should ditch those tires this year! My 96 tires only had 2k miles on them but they were hard as a rock. It is dangerous on stock power but with the blower it is scary. I went with V700's but even new stock tires would be a world of difference.

edmontonviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a roe super charger on my 2001 and toyo tires and they stick like glue great tires. and producing around the same numbers.

Sheldon